HD DVD article- Fortune Mag [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD article- Fortune Mag

Eric Z
01-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Came across this today and thought some would be interested.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/02/technology/dvd_fortune/index.htm

GMichael
01-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks, good info.

Time to hurry up & wait.

robert393
01-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Came across this today and thought some would be interested.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/02/technology/dvd_fortune/index.htmNice find Eric! This quote from the article pretty much explains what I have been been trying to say for quite some time:
"Think twice before buying the current DVD version of your favorite movie. Once you see the same movie in high-definition, your old DVD will look just as appealing as an old VHS tape."

Again, great find Eric!
Robert

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Nice find Eric! This quote from the article pretty much explains what I have been been trying to say for quite some time:
"Think twice before buying the current DVD version of your favorite movie. Once you see the same movie in high-definition, your old DVD will look just as appealing as an old VHS tape."

Again, great find Eric!
Robert

Yo Rob,
The author is correct, once you see high definition on DVD, regular DVD will look just plain sorry. That is also the case with D-VHS. The question is not really PQ, but how intrusive you want the studio's in your equipment. Copy protection issues so dog these new formats they have become consumer unfriendly before they are even out of the gate. As an early adopter and Bluray supporter, I am going to wait and see how the copy protection measures taken to satisfy the movie studios are itilized before I spend one penny for it

robert393
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Yo Rob,
The author is correct, once you see high definition on DVD, regular DVD will look just plain sorry. That is also the case with D-VHS.Not doubting your word here, but D-VHS is 1920x1080. True HD. I can't see High Definition DVD looking any better (considering it will be the same resolution (1920x1080)) than D-VHS. HDDVD will certainly be more user friendly (ROM), and easier to use. But I guess we'll see?

Copy protection issues so dog these new formats they have become consumer unfriendly before they are even out of the gate. As an early adopter and Bluray supporter, I am going to wait and see how the copy protection measures taken to satisfy the movie studios are itilized before I spend one penny for it I'm pretty sure (hoping?) they will resolve the protection issues before release, other wise I'm with you on waiting a bit for the issues to be resolved. What about simply buying an xbox360 (with blu-ray included) as source?
Robert

Groundbeef
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
What about simply buying an xbox360 (with blu-ray included) as source?
Robert

Tsk Tsk....The Xbox 360 WILL NEVER HAVE BLU-RAY. That would be akin to Microsoft suddenly allowing the Tiger OS (Mac) to be run on its OS. Blu-Ray is SONY tech and it will be on the PS3. When and if MS includes a HD-DVD drive on the 360 it will NOT be Blu-Ray.

ericl
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM

Man, that's hard to imagine. I am loving DVDs into my Sony HDTV. They look fantastic! I even prefer them to movies from the HBO-HD, but that probably has to do with the cable box being inferior as a source.

Anyways, this is going to p*** off regualr consumers like my pops who's just barely made the transition to DVD... Another new format?! I just converted my old VHS tapes!

eric

EdwardGein
01-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I agree with EricL. I can't imagine DVDs looking any better then they do now on my HD TV's unless they're in 3D. Will there be an HD DVD Shrink?

L.J.
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna continue to buy what I want. I'm sure the HD is gonna be amazing, but I'm a now type of person. I may have to double dip on a few titles eventually, but hey, it's only money. I'll just pluck a couple hundred bucks off that money tree I got growing in the back yard. :D

robert393
01-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Tsk Tsk....The Xbox 360 WILL NEVER HAVE BLU-RAY. That would be akin to Microsoft suddenly allowing the Tiger OS (Mac) to be run on its OS. Blu-Ray is SONY tech and it will be on the PS3. When and if MS includes a HD-DVD drive on the 360 it will NOT be Blu-Ray.I was mistaken. Sorry for any confusion. PS3 it is!
Robert

Eric Z
01-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I wonder how long it will take HD-DVD players to become affordable. IMO, I think the DVDs we use now will be around for at least 3-5 more years (and maybe even longer than that). I understand that HD quality is superior than SD, but I'm not sure it's as big of a jump compared to VHS to DVD for the average consumer who most likely drives the success of new technology. I'm not just talking about pic/sound quality- I'm talking about convenience of no more rewinding tapes, the ease of jumping to different parts of the movie, durability of DVDs (won't wear out like my 1985 Bears VHS I watch over and over, haha), etc.

I know a lot of people here will buy into HD (the majority already has);however, we have to remember, we're only 1% of the population. The great majority of the population is very happy with DVDs and really don't care about better pic quality. And we still have to remember, for HD-DVD to become popular, HDTV prices still have to drop for the average family to afford it. I know they dropped a lot already, but it's not nearly enough for millions and millions to take the dive. Especially with all the baby boomers who are nearing retirement on a fixed income- do you think they will drop $1K on a HDTV set and another $500-$600 on a HD-DVD player (when the price comes down from over $1K)? No way! Once HDTVs drop to $500-$600 and players drop to around $100-$200, then we'll see standard DVDs heading on the way out. Just look at VHS, there still around (not nearly as much as before) and DVDs have been out for 7+ years.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

Enjoy!
Eric