What rating preamp for me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What rating preamp for me?

oldorangejet
01-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi everybody
I just fixed up an old sony PSQ3 turnatble and plugged it into my stereo, and found that I actually need a preamp to make it loud enough for quality listening. I don't know the rating of my stereo or what is coming out of the turntable, so I am not sure as to which size (watts) I need. The only guide I have to go is this (forgive me for sounding so amature) when I plug my ipod directly into my stereo, that's about the perfect level of loudness and power for my little stereo. So in short, what wattage of preamp would I need to boost the signal from a turntable up to the signal that comes out of an ipod headphone jack?

Thanks heaps for your time
Tom

E-Stat
01-03-2006, 08:08 AM
So in short, what wattage of preamp would I need to boost the signal from a turntable up to the signal that comes out of an ipod headphone jack?
It's not about wattage, but voltage gain and equalization. Notice how it also sounds very tinny? Phono preamps also reverse the RIAA equalization curve built into the recording.

You can find them for as little as $25 at Radio Shack or Ebay.

rw

oldorangejet
01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
How do I know if I need a phono preamp? Out the back of the turntale is just the red and white lead which I plug into my stereo. I was thinking of getting one of those electronic kits which you can make up yourself as they are pretty cheap. I just wasn't sure what sort of rating I needed.

E-Stat
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
How do I know if I need a phono preamp?
If your receiver / integrated amp / preamp's phono stage cannot make the signal loud enough and/or it sounds bass shy and bright.

If that is the case, chances are that you only have "line level" inputs. As I mentioned earlier, phono inputs have both increased gain and different equalization. Only the old "ceramic" cartridges of yesteryear with their flip over needles could be run through a standard input used by CD players, tuners, tape decks, etc.

rw

Geoffcin
01-04-2006, 04:44 PM
How do I know if I need a phono preamp? Out the back of the turntale is just the red and white lead which I plug into my stereo. I was thinking of getting one of those electronic kits which you can make up yourself as they are pretty cheap. I just wasn't sure what sort of rating I needed.

Most modern receivers do NOT have a Phono preamp built in. If you still have an old (pre 1990) receiver lying around you might be able to use the phone preamp in it.