hsu vs. svs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hsu vs. svs

pwh03
01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I haven't been around in a while, and I'm sure this question has been raised before but the search service doesn't allow me to search words under 4 letters long, so if someone has a link to a similar thread, thats probably all I need, but if not heres the situation.

My father is looking for a subwoofer to go with his HT he has JVC speakers a new onkyo receiver and a 65 inch mitsu. Hes not real interested in spending much and the speakers dont warrent it anyways. so if anyone can give me a reason to choose one over the other or the scenarios in which one brand might fair better then the other that would be very helpful.

I've heard hsu and I do like them but its also new fun to try new things thanks

any other options would be fine too of course

I'll set the max price of 800 but 500 is prolly more realistic.

thank you

PH

edtyct
01-03-2006, 04:20 AM
SVS and Hsu make terrific subwoofers, but they aren't the only players in town. If your dad doesn't want to overspend, he might take a look at the JBL 12" or 10" Northridge subs that Harmon has been selling lately on ebay at a tremendous discount, assuming that they're still available. (Other stores like OneCall have been selling them as well.) Instead of $450 or $500, he might get away with $150 to $200 and still get quality bass. I'm not familiar with JVC speakers, but a large outlay for a sub might be overkill for them. Does he have JVC's new wood-cone speakers? If so, a JVC sub might be the way to go.

Ed

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-03-2006, 04:56 AM
SVS and Hsu make terrific subwoofers, but they aren't the only players in town. If your dad doesn't want to overspend, he might take a look at the JBL 12" or 10" Northridge subs that Harmon has been selling lately on ebay at a tremendous discount, assuming that they're still available. (Other stores like OneCall have been selling them as well.) Instead of $450 or $500, he might get away with $150 to $200 and still get quality bass. I'm not familiar with JVC speakers, but a large outlay for a sub might be overkill for them. Does he have JVC's new wood-cone speakers? If so, a JVC sub might be the way to go.

Ed

Ed,
He would probably do better sticking with either a HSU or a SVS. Strictly on performance versus value, both of these two manufacturers subs kick the crap out of the JBL subs.

Worf101
01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I've owned both JBL and HSU. I got rid of the JBL fast as I could and have used HSU sub's almost exclusively when building systems for others.

Da Worfster

RoyY51
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
You might want to try the Outlaw LFM-1, or the smaller LFM-2. I have the LFM-1 and for under 600.00, I've never heard better. Both were designed by Dr. Hsu and since they are only available through the internet, you are saving a bunch over a bricks-and-morter purchase. Considering that you are getting a rock solid 97 dB's @ 25 Hz (and 83 dB's @ 20 Hz), a 325 watt amp, and Outlaw's much vaunted customer service for 579.00, I think that you will reach the same conclusions that I did: a hell-of-a-value!

edtyct
01-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I certainly don't disagree with Sir TT's preference, but it wasn't my point. If you guys don't think that the JBLs have any value, that's different, and I'd be interested in knowing why. But maybe the JBLs will have their defenders, too--at least in context. I certainly don't think that they're worthless, or a blight on the ears. But I didn't mean to start a "who's got the best subwoofer" controversy.

Eric Z
01-03-2006, 11:36 AM
i'm wondering how serious this guy is into audio with jvc speakers (looks like a negative comment, but it's not meant that way). if he's happy with jvc speakers, maybe he'll be pleased with a lesser quality sub. just my $.02.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I certainly don't disagree with Sir TT's preference, but it wasn't my point. If you guys don't think that the JBLs have any value, that's different, and I'd be interested in knowing why. But maybe the JBLs will have their defenders, too--at least in context. I certainly don't think that they're worthless, or a blight on the ears. But I didn't mean to start a "who's got the best subwoofer" controversy.

Eh, you didn't start nothin. When it comes to bass extension, quality, and output, HSU, SVS, and the outlaw subs just have the JBL beat to a pulp. And when you speak of cost versus performance, they all trash the JBL. I do not think the JBL is worthless, but the performance IMO just isn't there when compared to the others

Worf101
01-04-2006, 06:19 AM

Experience. The JBL PB10 and PB12 were "mid-Level" subs being sold a few years ago at a relatively high price. Which is not crime in an of itself, what was criminal was the defective amps, poor wiring and shoddy build quality of these subs. Because of their "name" and the size of these subs JBL sold thousands of them and had to replace thousands of them. They were an unmitigated nightmare in the mid to late 90's just look at the old reviews here. I've not bought another JBL product since.

Da Worfster

shokhead
01-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Ed,
He would probably do better sticking with either a HSU or a SVS. Strictly on performance versus value, both of these two manufacturers subs kick the crap out of the JBL subs.

I was going to say that. Its hard to go wrong with either as far as bang for the buck,good value and just very good subs.

edtyct
01-04-2006, 07:21 AM
I was referring to the JBL E250P sub, which I've heard mated with Magnepan MMGs in a small to medium-sized room. It sounded good to my ears. It's also garnered a few good reviews. I've never heard any other JBL sub, and I know nothing about its reliability.

hwirt
01-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Check out CNET for a review on the JBL subwoofer (E250) they gave it a good rating. Also you can find it online for $222.00 shipped.

http://reviews.cnet.com/JBL_Northridge_E_Series_E250P/4505-11312_7-30603239.html

Heath