Sony STR-DA7100ES - Do any of you have this A/V receiver? Is it worth the money? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony STR-DA7100ES - Do any of you have this A/V receiver? Is it worth the money?

svtjesse
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Hello all. I'm trying to narrow down my top choices for a good A/V receiver in the $700 - $1100 range. I'm wondering if any of you own the Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver? Is it worth the money? I know it uses digital amplification...would the sound be much different than that of say...the Denon AVR-3805 or AVR-3506 units (analog amplification)? Any insight you can provide would be EXTREMELY USEFUL for me as I'm quite the novice. Thank-You! -Jesse

N. Abstentia
01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Sony is notorious for having pretty much the crappiest equipment made. Avoid Sony.

Woochifer
01-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Their digital drive receivers have had reliability problems. The wattage output measures well on bench tests, but the reactions I've read on their sound quality has been somewhat mixed.

Sony is notorious for having pretty much the crappiest equipment made. Avoid Sony.

I wouldn't necessarily go THAT far! (I just bought a Sony ES SACD changer, so I'm hoping that you're not 100% correct in this case!) Sony's problems lately have been with their very inconsistent reliability. Performancewise, Sonys have been about on par with or slightly better than other mass market competitors. I will grant you though that their receivers have been the one category where they've not fared well.

kexodusc
01-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Yeah, Sony's been hit and miss with a lot of things. But when they do it right, they do it as well as anyone. Just shows they can do it.
I have an old 1998 ish Dolby Digital Sony receiver that's been put through the paces driving 4 ohm Cerwin Vegas for years, even though it shouldn't handle the 4 ohm loads. Damn thing won't die. I've tried killing it. It does quite possibly have the absolute worst remote ever designed by mankind, though.

zepman1
01-05-2006, 12:40 PM
For 1000 bones I wouldn't be buying a Sony, I'll tell you that much! Take a look at Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, HK. Specs on the Sony may look good but for that type of money I would look elsewhere, you have lots of better choices...

noddin0ff
01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
What about the Outlaw 1070 (http://outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html) Receiver? I'd be interested to hear if anyone has some opinions on this. I think there was a thread that discussed it prior to it actually being available.

edit: $899

svtjesse
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
For 1000 bones I wouldn't be buying a Sony, I'll tell you that much! Take a look at Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, HK. Specs on the Sony may look good but for that type of money I would look elsewhere, you have lots of better choices...

Thanks for the input. I think that based on what I've heard from all of you and the things I've been reading I'll probably be leaning towards the purchase of the Denon AVR-3806 or AVR-4803 unit. Thanks for all your advice everyone! -Jesse :)

svtjesse
01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Sony's been hit and miss with a lot of things. But when they do it right, they do it as well as anyone. Just shows they can do it.
I have an old 1998 ish Dolby Digital Sony receiver that's been put through the paces driving 4 ohm Cerwin Vegas for years, even though it shouldn't handle the 4 ohm loads. Damn thing won't die. I've tried killing it. It does quite possibly have the absolute worst remote ever designed by mankind, though.

Thanks for the information - I'll keep it in mind as I narrow down my decision! You have all been helpful in my search for the right A/V receiver. -Jesse

L.J.
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the input. I think that based on what I've heard from all of you and the things I've been reading I'll probably be leaning towards the purchase of the Denon AVR-3806 or AVR-4803 unit. Thanks for all your advice everyone! -Jesse :)

If your gonna drop that much on a AVR, you gotta lot of options. You may want to look for AVR's with HDMI as you already stated. Should be a lotta fun shopping around. Let us know what you decide. If you go with Denon, I'm interested in knowing what you think of the Audyssey MultEQ (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-aJxXff2mGJc/reviews/20051129/audyssey.html).

Take it easy