I hate cheap turntables! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I hate cheap turntables!

trollgirl
01-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I was looking for a linear tracker on eBay, and found an ADC which needed repair. When it arrived I replaced the missing platter belt (happened to have one the right size), replaced the stretched arm drive belt (happened to have one), cleaned and relubed the two rods which the arm rides on, replaced the missing platter mat (happened to have an old Rabco mat), and replaced the missing P-mount cartridge (had a spare AT). Everything fell into place, you see. I hooked up an amp, headphones, and put on an LP. You might guess that the sound fell into place too, but the platter bearing had VERY obvious rumble. I'm going to have to pass it on. Lesson learned.

Laz

ericl
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
buying used, old turntables sight unseen on ebay is almost a garanteed nightmare. I've been down that road a couple times.. just not worth it.

royphil345
01-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes... Anything listed on eBay as "needs repair" should more accurately be listed as "needs ALOT of repair"... LOL

You can get lucky though, got my Sony PS-X5 off eBay for about $30.00. Put my "budget high-end" Rotel RP-955 in the closet. Sony runs just as quiet, speed accuracy is better, isolation is better, tonearm bearings have a smoother feel... For the most part, I like having the table lift the arm and shut itself off at the end of a record. Although, it did piss me off when I was trying to hear the hidden message at the end of ZZ-TOP ELIMINATOR!!!... LOL

BRANDONH
01-03-2006, 06:45 AM
I was looking for a linear tracker on eBay, and found an ADC which needed repair. When it arrived I replaced the missing platter belt (happened to have one the right size), replaced the stretched arm drive belt (happened to have one), cleaned and relubed the two rods which the arm rides on, replaced the missing platter mat (happened to have an old Rabco mat), and replaced the missing P-mount cartridge (had a spare AT). Everything fell into place, you see. I hooked up an amp, headphones, and put on an LP. You might guess that the sound fell into place too, but the platter bearing had VERY obvious rumble. I'm going to have to pass it on. Lesson learned.

Laz
Did you lube the bearing?
It may have not been done in a long time.

trollgirl
01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Did you lube the bearing?
It may have not been done in a long time.

...I used a light Teflon grease. The first time I took the platter off, I didn't like the look of the bearing. I should have tossed it then and there.

Laz

E T Frog
01-18-2006, 12:28 PM
buying used, old turntables sight unseen on ebay is almost a garanteed nightmare. I've been down that road a couple times.. just not worth it.

My ebay experience has been disappointing when the seller was a generic broker or auctioneer, but good when the seller was the original owner. I purchased a Denon 37F, 45F, and a Technics SL-MA1 from owners, all perfect. What I purchased from brokers was either broken or broke in transit because they packed it poorly (I guess that's why they're called brokers).

trollgirl
01-27-2006, 06:26 PM
My ebay experience has been disappointing when the seller was a generic broker or auctioneer, but good when the seller was the original owner. I purchased a Denon 37F, 45F, and a Technics SL-MA1 from owners, all perfect. What I purchased from brokers was either broken or broke in transit because they packed it poorly (I guess that's why they're called brokers).

I myself pack things as well as I possibly can when I sell a piece of gear - personal pride, and I want it to go to a good home, and to be enjoyed. If someone buys my gear on eBay, I consider him/her to be my audiobuddy...

Laz

KitR
01-31-2006, 05:24 PM

Laz
I don't know if you've tried it - and I've not seen any mention elsewhere, but the Extreme Phono mat can alieviate that quite well. The bearing went on my Systemdek - it's "loose". just using the std felt mat and the SOTA acrylic mat I've used for years now, the rumble comes through. But by putting the Extreme phono mat underneath the Supermat in place of the normal felt mat and 90% of the rumble has gone away! If you listen carefully there's some still there, BUT it doesn't get in the way of the music. Try it. If it doesn't work, the phono mat will do a fine job on your next turntable. Just don't leave a record on it for long periods! My compliments by the way on your ressurection job-I was impressed