Looking for Good, but small speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Good, but small speaker

fred917
01-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Looking for speakers for an applciation with emphais on space. Will be used for both Audio and HT. I like the size of the Bose Acoustimass 5, but not the sound. Any suggestions?

bbrunswick
01-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Looking for speakers for an applciation with emphais on space. Will be used for both Audio and HT. I like the size of the Bose Acoustimass 5, but not the sound. Any suggestions?

I have a Yamaha three way system that was rated higher than the bose system the year I bought it. I recently replaced the satelites with Tannoy M1's that I picked up on ebay. The result is a sweet, accurate, warm sound that sounds more like floorstanders than a small bookshelf solution. I drive it with a Hafler DH200 amp.

drseid
01-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Unfortunately, you are never going to get really good sound out of a speaker the size of those little cubes, and sub/sat systems using speakers that size will still have a bunch of compromises. If at all possible, steer clear and buy quality mini-monitors instead. That said, if you are dead set on super-small speakers (with/without a subwoofer), then check out the Gallo Acoustics Micros. They are about the same size as the Acoustimass speakers, but sound *much* better for similar money.

---Dave

Mark111867
01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Depending on your budget, there are a couple of options. For something in the $200 ball park, you could check out Paradigm Titans or the Athena AS-B1's. I would also check out some Cambridge Soundworks speakers. They offer a good bang for the buck speaker that run from around $150 and up. If you are looking to take a step up from the mentioned speakers, it might be worth checking out the Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-1 Mini Monitor. I auditioned them for a few days. They didn't quite work out for me, but they were nice speakers and worth checking out if you are in the $600 range. Hope this helps. Good luck.

trem0lo
01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm new around here, but based on some favorable reviews and recommendations I helped my in-laws upgrade their cheapo TV speakers with some Energy C-3s. My only previous audio experience was from working at Best Buy and I knew equipment they sold there was mediocre at best. Anyway, they sound REALLY nice and are well worth the $300 I paid for them (they retail for $500). They are pretty small and I guarantee they sound better than Bose. Check out Audioadvisor.com if you're interested, plus the matching stands are half off!

Ez34K
01-03-2006, 11:14 PM
For tiny speakers the NHT Super Zeros sound really good.

JohnMichael
01-04-2006, 08:34 AM
For tiny speakers the NHT Super Zeros sound really good.

Agreed and the NHT SuperOnes which are still compact offer a little more bass.