Yamaha Receiver and 4 ohm speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Receiver and 4 ohm speakers?

keithant
01-01-2006, 12:41 PM
I have a 2001 Yamaha HTR-5280 HT receiver,would it hurt this receiver if i left the 4/8 ohm impeadence switch in the 8 ohm position while driving a pair of 102db sensitive 4 ohm Cerwin Vega AT-15's as main's?Thanks.

PAT.P
01-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I have a 2001 Yamaha HTR-5280 HT receiver,would it hurt this receiver if i left the 4/8 ohm impeadence switch in the 8 ohm position while driving a pair of 102db sensitive 4 ohm Cerwin Vega AT-15's as main's?Thanks.If you know your speakers are 4ohm and your driving the receiver at 8 ohm what do you think and why would you take a chance?The speakers will start to clip and receiver would start to warm up and not in a good way at loud volume.

spacedeckman
01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I have a 2001 Yamaha HTR-5280 HT receiver,would it hurt this receiver if i left the 4/8 ohm impeadence switch in the 8 ohm position while driving a pair of 102db sensitive 4 ohm Cerwin Vega AT-15's as main's?Thanks.

No. If you have a problem change it. If not, leave it alone.

Space.

SAEA501
01-02-2006, 04:59 AM
That switch, placed in the 4 ohm position will limit current which can have a negative effect on they way the system sounds. When there is a greater current flow through the amp's power supply it will generate more heat. As long as you are not driving it hard for an extended period and the receiver does not get to a point where it is too hot, I would leave the switch in the 8 ohm position.

Woochifer
01-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I have the RX-V version of that receiver and I know from experience that it does not run especially hot. Just periodically check and make sure that your receiver is not hot to the touch. So long as you're using only one pair of speakers and not driving them to excessive levels, you can leave it there. Considering the sensitivity of your speakers, your ears will probably hurt well before your receiver runs into any trouble. But, if you have more than two speakers hooked up, I would probably go with the 4 ohm position. Generally, the 4 ohm position works by cutting the amount of voltage going to the power supply to prevent low impedance speakers from overworking the power supply.