Front Towers??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Front Towers???

pthoth
12-31-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm seeking a little advice concerning front tower speakers. I just bought a Denon AVR-3806 receiver to upgrade my home system after many years, and will be purchasing new front tower speakers as well. I currently have the following components:
Denon AVR-3806
Polk RT800 front speakers
Bose 301 (older) rear speakers
2 Klipsch KSW-12 subs (so bass is not an issue)

The system is set up in a VERY large room (30' X 26') with a 9' ceiling - so my old Polk RT800's need help. I'm interested in the following speakers:
Athena AS-F2.2
Klipsch RF-35
Infinity Primus 360
Polk RTi8

The Klipsch towers seemed a little "bright" to me when I listened to them at the dealer (but then so did the expensive Definitive Technology speakers). If it helps - I live in the country and like to "crank it up" every now and then.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phil (pthoth)

westcott
12-31-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm seeking a little advice concerning front tower speakers. I just bought a Denon AVR-3806 receiver to upgrade my home system after many years, and will be purchasing new front tower speakers as well. I currently have the following components:
Denon AVR-3806

The system is set up in a VERY large room (30' X 26') with a 9' ceiling - so my old Polk RT800's need help. I'm interested in the following speakers:
Athena AS-F2.2
Klipsch RF-35
Infinity Primus 360
Polk RTi8

The Klipsch towers seemed a little "bright" to me when I listened to them at the dealer (but then so did the expensive Definitive Technology speakers). If it helps - I live in the country and like to "crank it up" every now and then.

Thanks, Phil (pthoth)

I do not think you can go wrong with any of these speakers. I have listened to them all except the Infinities.

From a technical standpoint, the Klipsch speakers are more sensitive and will help generate more sound with the power you have from the 3806 for your large room. I find the RF7's far more enjoyable but may be out of your budget. There are still some deals to be had but they are drying up fast. Internet sales have been curtailed after several law suits.

Happy New Year!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Denon AVR-3806

Athena AS-F2.2
Klipsch RF-35
Infinity Primus 360
Polk RTi8

Thanks, Phil (pthoth)

I would also recommend the Klipsch RF7, or any of Klipsch's large floor standing models. Do not pay attention to what you hear in a dealers showroom. The are far from ideal acoustical conditions for critical listening. They will sound much different in a large room with plenty of room to breathe. I am not a big fan of bipolar speakers for hometheater. Bipolar speakers IMO are much more suited for music than for hometheater.

shokhead
01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
A good sub and you dont need towers. What about 4 RTi6's and a good sub,would that work with the 3806?

pthoth
01-01-2006, 09:32 PM
I would also recommend the Klipsch RF7, or any of Klipsch's large floor standing models. Do not pay attention to what you hear in a dealers showroom. The are far from ideal acoustical conditions for critical listening. They will sound much different in a large room with plenty of room to breathe. I am not a big fan of bipolar speakers for hometheater. Bipolar speakers IMO are much more suited for music than for hometheater.

Got my sites set on obtaining a pair of RF-7's based on the replies (yours included).
Thanks, pthoth

pthoth
01-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I do not think you can go wrong with any of these speakers. I have listened to them all except the Infinities.

From a technical standpoint, the Klipsch speakers are more sensitive and will help generate more sound with the power you have from the 3806 for your large room. I find the RF7's far more enjoyable but may be out of your budget. There are still some deals to be had but they are drying up fast. Internet sales have been curtailed after several law suits.

Happy New Year!

Thanks for your quick reply. Based on your response, and another that basically recommended the same attention to the Klipsch RF7's - that's now where I'm looking. I'm frugal, not poor - but I still hope to find a decent deal on a pair of RF-7's.
Thanks again,
pthoth

pthoth
01-01-2006, 09:33 PM
A good sub and you dont need towers. What about 4 RTi6's and a good sub,would that work with the 3806?

I considered that option. but an very fond of my old Polk RT800's - and am planning to incorporate them into the system.
Happy New Year, pthoth

westcott
01-02-2006, 09:06 AM

shokhead brings up a good point.

A good sub can really make up for the bass deficiencies of center or bookshelf speakers.
I know a guy on another forum who uses 5 RC7s and an RSW15 with great results.

To save money, I was thinking that he may want to use the existing Polks for the rears.

If I had a smaller room, I would be very tempted by this last configuration but I also have a large family room\home theater. Plus, the tweeter in the RF7's truly is a better design than any of their other speakers being offered, IMO.

dmb_fan
01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. Based on your response, and another that basically recommended the same attention to the Klipsch RF7's - that's now where I'm looking. I'm frugal, not poor - but I still hope to find a decent deal on a pair of RF-7's.
Thanks again,
pthoth

I've got a buddy who bought RF7's, the RC7, and the accompanying surrounds off one of those no-name non-dealer-certified sites like buy.com or shopping.com. Everything came in perfect working order and has performed flawlessly for the past two years. Of course, he doesn't have a warranty, but with speakers, who the heck cares? I've never needed warranty service on a pair of speakers.

-Adam

veganaudio
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Denon AVR-3806

Athena AS-F2.2
Klipsch RF-35
Infinity Primus 360
Polk RTi8

Thanks, Phil (pthoth)

check the jbl's studio series towers for $500 awesome!!

I