Repairing Old Speaker Grills [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Old Speaker Grills

phillyguy
12-31-2005, 05:58 AM
I did a search on speaker cloth and speaker grills, but could not find exactly what I needed. I would like to replace the speaker cloth on the grills of an old pair of Mission speakers. 1st question, wher can I find speaker cloth? I saw in another post that JoAnn fabrics carries it. Any place else? I am looking for just plan black, in a good quality. 2nd question, what type of glue (or contact cement maybe?) should I use to adhere the fabric to the existing plastic grill frame? Unfortunately, I cannot just build a new wood frame, as the existing grill wraps over the corner of the speaker and sits flush with the side face of the cabinet. A wood frame would be too thick to allow this. (I hope that makes sense.) Any help would greatly be appreciated.

pelly3s
12-31-2005, 07:23 AM
you should be able to get grille fabric at any good audio shop. i would recommend using Acoustone, it is the most audio transparent material i have found so far.

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/products/fabrics/grille_cloth.asp

pelly3s
01-02-2006, 07:04 PM
oh and for adhesive use 3M super 77

phillyguy
01-07-2006, 02:36 PM
pelly-

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how I make out.

pelly3s
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Im glad it worked out for you.

phillyguy
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Pelly,

Thanks for the help. I ended up finding the fabirc at a local JoAnn Fabrics and it was a surprisingly great match in quality, weight, and color to the original fabric on the grills. I was worried about gluing the fabric to the plastic frames, but it turned out not to be an issue. I ended up using some stuff called "E6000" which worked out great. They look good as new!