looking for a new a/v reciever [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new a/v reciever

69 camaro SS
12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi, I'm new to the whole home theater thing. I have an older yamaha rx-v1050 reciever that just died on me. I need to find something different, I also have klipsch hg3.2 floor speakers for my mains. And a cheap set of sony surround speakers . Would really like some advice on a new reciever .I cant afford to spend much more than 300.00 on it. I dont even know where to start HELP. thanks

69 camaro SS
12-30-2005, 11:11 PM
I dont even mind going with used equipment as long as it's quality

brendy
12-31-2005, 04:16 AM
For a new one the Onkyo 503 is real tough to beat for $300.

learner
12-31-2005, 07:39 AM
I was in a similar situation just a few short weeks ago. My decision came down to the Onkyo 503 (mentioned above) and the Pioneer VSX-815. I did a lot of research and asked questions just like you are and I finally decided on the Pioneer because of all of the great reviews on different sites. Check out the audioholics for their picks for the best system under $1000.

I cant as of yet tell you how it performs because I am waiting to move into a new home so I am waiting to hook everything up. Should be able to get a first hand review from thekid.

Good luck.

thekid
12-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi, I'm new to the whole home theater thing. I have an older yamaha rx-v1050 reciever that just died on me. I need to find something different, I also have klipsch hg3.2 floor speakers for my mains. And a cheap set of sony surround speakers . Would really like some advice on a new reciever .I cant afford to spend much more than 300.00 on it. I dont even know where to start HELP. thanks

As mentioned by learner you can search this site for my previous review of the Pioneer VSX-815. It is in the price range you mentioned. At my local BB it is currently $284 but you may find it slightly cheaper on-line. A friend of mine just returned his Sony STR-DE698 in favor of the Pioneer and is very glad he did. But don't take my word for it check out these 2 reviews.

http://www.audioholics.com/productr...iverReview1.php

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ar...8&page_number=1

Good luck!

L.J.
01-01-2006, 01:34 PM

Camaro,

Look into some units made by Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, HK or Pioneer. You should be able to find some nice units in that price range. Compare things such as the # of digital inputs, component outputs, warranty and so on. Make sure the unit has a set of 5.1 analog inputs and a set of preouts. That way you'll have a little bit of flexibility in the future. The Pioneer mentioned seems to offer alot for the money. You can also look at HK and Onkyo products at Circuit City, and Yamaha products at Best Buy. If you order online, make sure you go with an authorized dealer. Try some units out at home if possible.

Have fun shoppin

EdwardGein
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I got both of my Denon 3801 Receivers listed on Ebay complete with Remote & Instruction Manual in very good or better condition with reputable sellers with excellent high volume feedback for between $400 to $475 including shipping. This retails for $1200 plus tax. If you have the patience to wait for a receiver your looking for from the right seller, you can find an excellent deal on Ebay, particularly as a Buy It Now. Good luck.

PS
Do not buy if it doesn't come with an instruction and remote. If it doesn't list them then assume it doesn't come with them. Do not buy if it is not listed as very good or better. If the words "as is" appears in the listing do not buy. If the seller has not sold at least 10 items with excellent feedback, don't buy. Do not get into a bidding war for it. Bid in the last 10 seconds if possible. You may even wish to email the seller and ask him if you can buy direct which he might let you do if you pay him by paypal. If something is not said, assume the worst.