Anyone with HT check this out! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with HT check this out!

Mr Peabody
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Some time back I bought Tomita's Planets which is Isoo Tomita putting to synthesizer Holst's, The Planets. Today I get it out to show a friend what it sounds like and for some reason I started reading the back of the case and notice a Dolby trademark. I'm thinking, what does Dolby surround have to do with my CD, so I throw it into my DVD player to see what happens and sure enough my room filled with spacey synthesizer sound from all directions. My processor automatically picks the format so I put on the display to check and it showed DTS neo6. To this point I have not liked any music in multi-channel but this was very cool. The CD, or what I thought was a CD, is only about $10.00, if you want a really cool listening experience go pick this up. The original recording was done in 1976 and you can tell synthesizers have come a long way since then. But some one done an awesome job putting this to multi-channel. Your experience may be system dependent but on mine there are times where the sound is above and around you, each channel sometimes contained it's own information. Each channel is seemingly used constructively, not all channels all the time.

There was no picture content and I never noticed my sub coming on, maybe there just wasn't any low end on this recording.

I have to say until I discovered this multi-channel encoding this was not one of my favorite recordings. Does anyone know of any other similar recordings? I still don't think I'd like any multi-channel music but something like the Tomita or similar spacey stuff may work.

Jim Clark
12-31-2005, 06:47 AM
Some time back I bought Tomita's Planets which is Isoo Tomita putting to synthesizer Holst's, The Planets. Today I get it out to show a friend what it sounds like and for some reason I started reading the back of the case and notice a Dolby trademark. I'm thinking, what does Dolby surround have to do with my CD, so I throw it into my DVD player to see what happens and sure enough my room filled with spacey synthesizer sound from all directions. My processor automatically picks the format so I put on the display to check and it showed DTS neo6. To this point I have not liked any music in multi-channel but this was very cool. The CD, or what I thought was a CD, is only about $10.00, if you want a really cool listening experience go pick this up. The original recording was done in 1976 and you can tell synthesizers have come a long way since then. But some one done an awesome job putting this to multi-channel. Your experience may be system dependent but on mine there are times where the sound is above and around you, each channel sometimes contained it's own information. Each channel is seemingly used constructively, not all channels all the time.

There was no picture content and I never noticed my sub coming on, maybe there just wasn't any low end on this recording.

I have to say until I discovered this multi-channel encoding this was not one of my favorite recordings. Does anyone know of any other similar recordings? I still don't think I'd like any multi-channel music but something like the Tomita or similar spacey stuff may work.

I trust that if you're ever in KC, that you'll look me up. Mainly since I'd want to do the same and check out the Krell - Dynaudio system.

Oh, and nice post. I'd read it in detail but we're off to Omaha to wrap up the holiday's.

Happy New Year.

jc

Dusty Chalk
01-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, he remastered all of his albums in Dolby for the second iteration of CD releases (the ones with the grey borders), I believe, but I don't think it's DTS -- it's an analog encoding so that you can still listen to it in stereo.

I miss my surround setup -- I found quite a few things that made no indication they were encoded (three of the Dressed To Kill compilations such as Princess Gothica, for example).

Mr Peabody
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Encoding is not my expertise but this disc will do both stereo and surround sound. It played in both my CD player and DVD player. My DVD player is only hooked up via a digital Toslink and my processor automatically picks the format. Like the music channels on cable come on as Dolby 2 channel but this disc came on as DTS. I've switched the modes around manually when listening to Dolby 2 channel and it didn't sound anything like this disc, I have no doubt it's in surround sound. I may have to check out some of his other stuff to see if it's any better.

I think the record company is doing a disservice to all concerned by not making extra encoding more obvious on the package.

Just as a side note, if Tomita can do this on one disc, I'm still pissed at Neil Young for selling a CD and a DVD of his Greatest Hits and the DVD only being a Dolby 2 channel mix with nothing to look at but a LP on a turntable turning.