Are there any stereos with custom eq settings? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are there any stereos with custom eq settings?

davebrooklyn
12-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi all,

My beloved Sony MHC-C70, a mini-system, was accidentally smashed while moving.

Besides having pre-set eq settings like "Rock", "Classical", "Vocals", etc., it also allowed you to save five "personal" eq settings via its graphic equalizer. It was brilliant with very good sound and three levels of surround-sound.

I think it's beyond repair although that's still a final option, but it's near ten years old now and I think it would cost a bundle to fix. There's nothing that I've found on the market that has this personal eq setting feature. Perhaps a home-theater system might?

So, does anyone know of a system, gadget, stereo that would be something I would want to look into? Or, might you know of a dealer who could possibly have an MHC-C70 in stock? I've made an exhaustive search of the Internet without success.

Thanks.

Woochifer
12-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Mini systems and car audio systems are really the only places where you'll find the types of "EQ flavors" that you describe. The DSP functions on home theater receivers are not for tone control, but for altering the soundfield. Home theater receivers have been adding adaptive room EQ functions the past couple of years, but they are primarily for room acoustical correction (which in actuality is the proper use of EQ).

GMichael
12-31-2005, 03:45 PM
The Yamaha RX-V2500 has 6 memory settings. You can set your system up 6 ways and switch back and forth if you like. They won't be pre-set for jazz or rock like your mini-system but will work the same once you have it programed the way you like. You can switch between two favorite settings at the touch of a button. The other 4 can be reached through a menu in about 4 or 5 clicks.

There may be other models with the same thing, but this is the one I know.

GMichael
12-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Here is the manual. Memory setting instructions begin on page 64.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/RX_V2500.pdf

davebrooklyn
12-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks GMichael,

Much appreciated. I will look up that system.

If anyone else can recommend anything, please keep them coming in.

Sincere thanks,

Dave

davebrooklyn
01-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I'm a bit limited in budget and that Yamaha is fairly pricey.

If anyone knows of any other units, especially mini-systems with a built-in graphic eqalizer with custom memory settings, please write in.

Thanks again,

Dave