PIP on HT System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PIP on HT System

Kajalano
12-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Home theatre brought along some new 'challenges' when I got into it some years ago. One of those challenges which I have been unable to surmount is the integration of picture-in-picture (PIP).

I use the AV receiver to do all audio/video switching. With this, the TV's speakers are switched OFF and ALL video and audio (even TV/DBS broadcast), goes through the AV receiver and HT speakers. Connection to the TV from receiver is via Monitor Out. Is there anyway someone has come up with that will allow me to switch between PIP and main view panels on the TV with a corresponding switch in the audio, bearing in mind that the the Main and PIP video source can be any combination of TV/DBS/DVD/VCR/Camcorder?

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions...Kajalano

recoveryone
01-02-2006, 08:30 AM
From what I take from your question I would have to say NO, Your HDTV or set top box would need to have two HD tuners for you to use PIP. Now you may be able to do PIP from another video source if you TV supports such a function ( I know of sets that do). SO check your manual and see if your Set supports this type of PIP. You may have to run your DBS input directly to the set bypassing the AVR to get this to work along with all other video feeds into the TV and lose the switching from the AVR.

Kajalano
01-03-2006, 07:25 PM
From what I take from your question I would have to say NO, Your HDTV or set top box would need to have two HD tuners for you to use PIP. Now you may be able to do PIP from another video source if you TV supports such a function ( I know of sets that do). SO check your manual and see if your Set supports this type of PIP. You may have to run your DBS input directly to the set bypassing the AVR to get this to work along with all other video feeds into the TV and lose the switching from the AVR.

Thanks for the response...I was afraid that this would be the answer as I have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure it out myself.

Just to note a few things from your post:
1) Yes...the TV can do PIP from multiple sources. I currently do this but can switching audio between sources is the challenge since this is changed once the AVR is doing the switching.

2) PIP from two HD (or other) tuners was thought of, but this unfortunately does not help if the PIP sources are say TV/DVD.

3) The prob with bypassing the AVR is that ALL audio is currently handled by the AVR.

Ah well...I guess that I'm defeated on this one.

Thanks again...Kajalano

recoveryone
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
well, what you have to look at is this:
If you want the PIP then you will have to run all video feeds through the TV and just keep the sounds through the AVR. just adding one extra remote for the TV or get one of those Harmony's from Logictech, I hear they work great.

AVMASTER
01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
if i understand you correctly, you would use a matrix switcher-bypassing video from the AVR and running two outputs from matrix switcher to two inputs on tv. Check out:
www.keydigital.com

recoveryone
01-07-2006, 07:26 AM
if i understand you correctly, you would use a matrix switcher-bypassing video from the AVR and running two outputs from matrix switcher to two inputs on tv. Check out:
www.keydigital.com (http://www.keydigital.com)my point I was making is used the switching element of the TV instead of the AVR.

Kajalano
01-08-2006, 06:47 PM
well, what you have to look at is this:
If you want the PIP then you will have to run all video feeds through the TV and just keep the sounds through the AVR. just adding one extra remote for the TV or get one of those Harmony's from Logictech, I hear they work great.

That would do it and is worth considering. It is useful that you brought that up 'cause it was an option that I considered sometime ago, but discarded due to the 'Remote Jigermaree' required to accomplish it for all the possible PIP combinations in a user-friendly way. My wife and other members of the household are not that 'into' these things.

I have however been contemplating a more sophisticated remote for some time now and that would probably just make it worth the while to do.

Thanks again...Kajalano