DVD Player with progressive scan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player with progressive scan

casillas
12-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Hello out there just signed up.I have a a dumb question.
what is progresive scan?(on dvd player)and do i want it or not.I do have a HDTV and receiver.

L.J.
12-30-2005, 10:40 AM
what is progresive scan?(on dvd player)and do i want it or not.I do have a HDTV and receiver.

Yes you want it. It's a good thing. Click here (http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037594,39201758,00.htm) for some info. Do a google search and you'll find all kinds of info.

westcott
12-30-2005, 12:15 PM

I see no use for progressive scan on a DVD player if your TV does not accept a 480p signal, which I doubt your TV does if it is not a newer model with this capability.

On the other hand, I have not seen many decent DVD players that do not have it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I see no real premium associated with buying a DVD player that has progressive scan capabilites. Just make sure you get a player that puts out a 480i and 480p signal and will connect with your existing TV, probably via S Video cable if I had to guess.

This site might help you decide on a player. Hope this helps!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Happy Holidays!

bjornb17
12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I see no use for progressive scan on a DVD player if your TV does not accept a 480p signal, which I doubt your TV does if it is not a newer model with this capability.

On the other hand, I have not seen many decent DVD players that do not have it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I see no real premium associated with buying a DVD player that has progressive scan capabilites. Just make sure you get a player that puts out a 480i and 480p signal and will connect with your existing TV, probably via S Video cable if I had to guess.

This site might help you decide on a player. Hope this helps!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Happy Holidays!

Considering he has an HDTV, he most likely will have the ability to accept 480p. Also it looks better and probably comes on 90% of dvd players these days so he should definately make sure his dvd player has it.

casillas
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Considering he has an HDTV, he most likely will have the ability to accept 480p. Also it looks better and probably comes on 90% of dvd players these days so he should definately make sure his dvd player has it.

Thank you for your input my tv does accept 480i as well as 480p.

casillas
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM

Thank you all for your input i am just getting back around to my question and on learning how to reply back to you all.thanks again and Happy New Year.

bjornb17
01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Thank you all for your input i am just getting back around to my question and on learning how to reply back to you all.thanks again and Happy New Year.

You're welcome :) Also welcome to the forums!