Benefits of banana plugs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of banana plugs

Eric Z
12-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi- What's the benefit of banana plugs over bare wire when connecting your speaker wire to the speakers and receiver? Is it just the ease of switching and connection? I'm currently just using bare wire and it seems to be fine. Anything to look out for?

Anything other than banana plugs that do the job just as well?

Thanks.
Eric

L.J.
12-30-2005, 10:21 AM
They provide a secure connection and make life a little easier. There's not alot of space behind AVR's. Sometimes connecting bare wire in such a cramped space can become a real pain.

GMichael
12-30-2005, 10:34 AM
They provide a secure connection and make life a little easier. There's not alot of space behind AVR's. Sometimes connecting bare wire in such a cramped space can become a real pain.

It helps when you move or upgrade. Quick in, quick out. Others use them for bragging rights. I've seen them as high as $80 each. I have 9 speakers. For each speaker you need 2 out of the receiver or amp, 2 into the wall plates, 2 out of the wall plates, 2 into the speakers. 8 per speaker, times 9 speakers, times $80 each = $5760.00 for little connectors. Hmmm... still gotta buy wire, receiver, speakers, CD & DVD players etc.

Bare wire is good as long as you make sure that none of the little strands don't jump out and touch the wire or connector next to them. Bad things happen if they do this.
It's also a pain in the butt to move or upgrade.

SlumpBuster
12-30-2005, 11:47 AM
One of my college buddies who is a guy I trust when it comes to engineering questions (he's a robotics engineer) claims poorly designed bannana plugs can degrade sound changing the resistance of the cable. Mind you, he said we're talking "swap meet" bad plugs. Anything from Home Depot to Circuit City should be fine. If your using wall plates that are visable, like mine, they really help make things look clean. WAF is high on them vs. bare wire.

Duds
12-30-2005, 12:34 PM
what are wall plates?

One of my college buddies who is a guy I trust when it comes to engineering questions (he's a robotics engineer) claims poorly designed bannana plugs can degrade sound changing the resistance of the cable. Mind you, he said we're talking "swap meet" bad plugs. Anything from Home Depot to Circuit City should be fine. If your using wall plates that are visable, like mine, they really help make things look clean. WAF is high on them vs. bare wire.

SlumpBuster
12-30-2005, 12:53 PM
what are wall plates?

Wall plates are for when your house or room are wired for surround sound or sound in general. They are like electrical outlet but for speaker wire, rca cables, digital, cable.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=278&filter=banana+binding

Eric Z
01-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the info, guys- I can see how it can be much easier to switch speakers in and out and things like that. I'll have to check out some stores to see the prices. What should I be expecting? $10 for a set or more? Just wondering.

Thanks again.
Eric

L.J.
01-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info, guys- I can see how it can be much easier to switch speakers in and out and things like that. I'll have to check out some stores to see the prices. What should I be expecting? $10 for a set or more? Just wondering.

Thanks again.
Eric

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=39&ObjectGroup_ID=108&SO=2