Some troubleshooting [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some troubleshooting

ToddL
12-29-2005, 03:06 PM
My problem: I am getting a static-like pop intermittantly through my speakers.
This is happening on cd, dvd, and tv
I have a Denon amp hooked up to Kef bookshelves, running bi-wired with audioquest solid-core speakerwire. I have made sure that all my connections are tight
My suspects:

1. The player that I cheaped out on (all defective audio runs through this)-though I was thinkning that this would cause a constant degradation not just periodic.

2. Some of my interconnects are sub-par - This is what my bet is

3.One of my speakers were dropped, but the driver was replaced. - Is it possible that the woofer or tweet could have unsightly damage?

I am trying to peice a nice system but it is peice by peice, just wondering what the quick fix might be.
Thanks

topspeed
12-29-2005, 08:11 PM
The first place I would look at is the volume pot. It's not uncommon for the pot to get dirty thereby causing a popping or crackling sound. Move the knob around back and forth a few times and see if that is causing it.

If not, cleaning your contacts certainly couldn't hurt, although I doubt that's the problem unless you've been messing with your wires a lot recently. If it is the wires, it's the connection, not the wire itself.

Are you getting the distortion out of both speakers or only one channel? Figure this out as it will help to determine where the problem lies.

Hope this helps.