Boston Acoustics VR20 DAMAGE, HELP!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustics VR20 DAMAGE, HELP!!!!

mrsmithster
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
maybe someone can help me out. i have some boston acoustics VR20 speakers with the lynnfield tweeter and while waiting to receive some replacement covers from BA, one of my kids pushed both tweeters in with his little fingers. i think these are not just dust covers but the aluminum dome that makes this such a nice sounding speaker. anyone know if this has a serious effect on perfromance or how to fix them? BA wants $60ea. for replacments and im not sure how the wiring is inside (soldering required?). i mostly use them for HT (as fronts, CR8s rear, VR10 center, Denon A/V receiver), not music as i have an old sansui 9090/JBL monitors for that. any advise would be great. thanks, craig

markw
12-29-2005, 01:56 PM
But only your ears can verify that. ...and pepole think grilles serve no useful purpose..

GMichael
12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
I have heard of people putting a tube up to them to "suck" the domes back out. But my guess is that you could do more harm that good this way. How do they sound to you.

Yep, grills have their place.

mrsmithster
12-29-2005, 04:40 PM
they seem to sound the same, but since i know what happend i think im "trying" to hear a difference that probably isnt there. just freaks me out seeing them pushed in and wrinkly looking now. yes, i found out the hard way that covers/grills do have a purpose. what do they say, "a smart man learns from his own mistakes...a wise man learns from others mistakes". only had the damn things off a few days too. guess i will slap the new grills on and chalk it up to not being wise. i have used the suction tube on woofer dust covers before with success, but these tweeters have a plastic thingy (AMD) down the center. thanks again.

paul_pci
12-29-2005, 05:11 PM
they seem to sound the same, but since i know what happend i think im "trying" to hear a difference that probably isnt there. just freaks me out seeing them pushed in and wrinkly looking now. yes, i found out the hard way that covers/grills do have a purpose. what do they say, "a smart man learns from his own mistakes...a wise man learns from others mistakes". only had the damn things off a few days too. guess i will slap the new grills on and chalk it up to not being wise. i have used the suction tube on woofer dust covers before with success, but these tweeters have a plastic thingy (AMD) down the center. thanks again.

One of my Polks was delivered with one of the tweeters bent in. Didn't make an audible difference and I fixed upon a suggestion I heard here: take some tape (duct tape, i.e.) and pull the inverted tweeter (carefully) into its proper position. Finally, ship the kid off to boarding school for the next twenty years.

bjornb17
12-29-2005, 09:40 PM
My ten year old stepsister poked all 4 of the domes in on one of my brand new Polk Monitor 70s, 1 day after i brought them home (this was about 2 weeks ago). Fortunate for me they popped back out on their own! I just had to get a cloth and wipe off the fingerprint smudges on them. I was furious. Now my door remains locked even if i just go to the restroom.

gixxerific
12-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Try quadrupling the power than turn the volume all the way up in mute than turn it on un mute it. Maybe the force will pop those tweets back into shape or at least across the room. J/k PLEASE don't do this.

Really hope everything works out. I know how it is I have a 4 yr old hell son. :(

mrsmithster
12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
this forum i mean, thanks for the replys, gave me a few laffs. i like the idea with the tape since these are aluminum domes i might have a chance of returning them somewhat to their original shape. gald to here im not alone in pushed in speaker dept.