How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv?

BadAssJazz
12-28-2005, 07:10 PM
And more importantly, does the performance justify the $$$$?

EdwardGein
12-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I paid $1600 including delivery and installation in 2004 for my 48" Mitsubishi Rear Projection Widescreen HDTV, best TV I ever had and more then worth the cost. The same TV around XMAS 2005 was going for $1300 (I'm not sure if that included delivery).

As a result of the 48" HDTV being great, I got a second HDTV for my bedroom, a 30" Widescreen Samsung HD CRT to replace my 27" regular Sony TV for $700 including delivery on sale in 2004. While the picture was excellent, this was a bad mistake on my part because
the 30" screen was too small, I made the mistake of assuming the 30" widescreen viewing area would be bigger then my 27" regular TV. An excellent conversion table courtesy of Cam the Man is at www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi?KeohiHDTV & I suggest anyone buying an HDTV under 42" uses that. Anyway I sold that for $475 & replaced it with a 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV, CT-34WX15 that is perfect for my bedroom in terms of the picture size & its cosmetic look. That cost me $1100 on sale at Circuit City including delivery and installation.

To me the difference in watching HDTV & regular TV is night and day. My HD service and receiver/tuner is provided for me at a minimal cost by my cable company. I also have 2 HD DVR's provided by my cable company and would have trouble functioning without them as I no longer watch live shows as the DVR lets me fast forward through them.

As an aside, I found watching 4:3 non HD shows on my 30" TV excruciating as the image was too small & grainy but they're fine on my 34" set. Also, DVD's look great on both HDTV's through regular progressive Scan Harmon Kardon DVD players & I can't imagine the picture looking any better on these upconvertors I hear people ask about but I've also never seen one either so I reserve judgement.

Smokey
12-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Anyway I sold that for $475 & replaced it with a 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV, CT-34WX15 that is perfect for my bedroom in terms of the picture size & its cosmetic look. That cost me $1100 on sale at Circuit City including delivery and installation.

So how would you compare picture quality of Samsung and Panasonic, and how does Panasonic stack against your Mitsubishi Rear Projection?

EdwardGein
12-29-2005, 12:23 AM
So how would you compare picture quality of Samsung and Panasonic, and how does Panasonic stack against your Mitsubishi Rear Projection?

The Panasonic 34" & the Samsung 30" HDTV's are a night and day difference. To begin with, one wouldn't think a 4" difference would make such a huge difference but it does. The actual HD picture of the Panasonic 34" is totally superior to that of the Samsung 30". The biggest difference is the 4:3 Picture on non HD broadcasts still is fantastic on the Panasonic 34" & looks big, glossy & defined while that same broadcast on the Samsung 30" would look way too small and grainy. I can't compare the sound as I listen through my receiver.

As far as the 48" Mitsubishi which is in my living room & the 34" Panasonic, as the Mitsubishi is a widescreen rear projection HD TV & the Panasonic is a widescreen
CRT HDTV, its really hard to give a meaningful comparison other then maybe because of the Mitsubishi's 48" size, the effect of the picture seems more "3D" if that's a proper term, especially on a show like Lost. If I logistically could have put the 48" Mitsubishi in my bedroom, of course I would have preferred that but based on my bedrooms limitations the 34" Panasonic is perfect, especially as I'm about 9 1/2 feet from my bed. It rests on top of my dresser which faces the bed. I didn't have the budget to buy a plasma for the bedroom
& I honestly didn't see the dollar justification in buying a good LCD for say $2,400 give or take over the Panasonic CRT.

I definately would recommend if someone doesn't have an HDTV & doesn't have an unlimited budget to definately get a big screen rear view HDTV for their living room as the prices for name brands have gone down tremendously. If it was a matter of chosing between a 52" rear projection HDTV over say a 34" LCD HDTV, I'd definately chose the 52" rear projection. I do think that you lose alot of the HD effect on any sets 30" or under. I'm not sure about the 32" sets but the 34" HDTV's are excellent.

I'd also only buy a name brand as someone here posted that if something goes wrong on an obscure brand, you may be up sheeps creek. I find reviews on CircuitCity.com are very dependable as opposed to Amazon.com as there are alot of reviews and they give things an overall rating in several areas. I really don't know other sites where there are multiple reviews by consumers. You might actually get some good feedback on potential TV's from this board. Someone warned me to stay away from Poloroid LCD's & I think it was pretty good advice.

Eric Z
12-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Does anyone know why the RPTV's (like EdGein's Mits) prices are fairly low? Is it because the technology has been around for a while, unlike LCD, DLP, and Plasma?

I think this thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have paid for their HDTVs.

robert393
12-29-2005, 05:56 AM
And more importantly, does the performance justify the $$$$? I bought this projector (http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-SX21U.htm) almost 3yrs ago. Suggested retail was $9k. I am in the industry, so I got it whole sale for $6k and got this High Definition D-VHS (http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101392&itempath=&feature_id=01) free with the purchase!

Have you seen HD? Obviously you have not or you wouldn't be asking, because the picture quality (PQ) difference is night & day! Prices on HD ready sets are extremely affordable now, and the prices continue to drop.

If you haven't seen HD, do yourself a favor and go to your nearest CC, BB, or speciality retailer and do a side-by-side comparison and see the difference. Here (http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/OutPDir.jsp?search=42++hdtv&node=0&x=54&y=9) is a good place to see some of the pricing for HDTV's.

So, the short answer is an emphatic YES. IMO HD is worth the price of admission!

Robert

Eric Z
12-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Robert- So, you're HD-VHS player plays tapes in HD? They must be special tapes, right? Just wondering because I never heard of that. If that's the case, is the quality as good as HD through your cable company or OTA?

Thanks.
Eric

GMichael
12-29-2005, 06:16 AM
I paid near $2500 for my Sony 55" 4:3 HDTV a few years back. I love it. Not every broadcast is in HD but there are enough, and it's growing fast. My DVR includes a hard drive that will record and play back in HD. It's a lot like Tivo, but not.

Yes, it is worth it.

Next on the purchase list is a HD Sanyo projector 16:9 and a 119" screen.

robert393
12-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Robert- So, you're HD-VHS player plays tapes in HD? They must be special tapes, right? Just wondering because I never heard of that. If that's the case, is the quality as good as HD through your cable company or OTA?

Thanks.
Eric Yes Eric, they are definately special tapes. Look here (http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/accessories.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101392&itempath=&feature_id=05) to see description. To be honest with you, I only buy and watch D-VHS movies (http://www.dvhsmovie.com/movies/trailerpark.asp). I never have recorded via the firewire. Because I have 2-HD 942 (http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/product_brochures/942_Prod_SheetWeb.pdf) DVR's (50+ Hours of HD recording capability) I have more HD movies and viewing available than I can watch (that's a GOOD thing!).

All D-VHS movies are recorded 1080i. They are the absolute best PQ available. Recording with the HD DVR's is bit-for-bit rate. So, if the original broadcast is 720p or 1080i, the recording has no degrading of PQ from the original broadcast.

Hope this helps!
Robert

Eric Z
12-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Do you think the DVHS will be obsolete once HD-DVD/Blu-ray come around? Whenever the heck that would be.

robert393
12-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Do you think the DVHS will be obsolete once HD-DVD/Blu-ray come around? Whenever the heck that would be. If you are using it for recording and archiving HD movies, I think it will be good to keep or maybe even purchase, but for my needs, it will be come obsolete. I will keep it to view my D-VHS movie collection, but I will not be adding to that collection. High Definition DVD (whichever format prevails) should make VHS , DVD, D-VHS obsolete in a matter of time! Of course that is assuming the technology doesn't leap-frog High Definition DVD and go directly to HD VOD?

The next few years are certainly going to be interesting for HD.....Yipeeeeee!

Robert

Mr Peabody
12-29-2005, 07:57 AM
First of all let me say I don't think it's fair to dog anyone out because they haven't seen HD. Depending on the store, most do not have a good display of HD. I went to a Sears and they couldn't give me one of those they had displayed. At best, the mass merchants do a HD feed that is split several times which pretty much defeats the purpose. Also, many here and the merchants make people feel like they are missing something but in reality there isn't that much out there actually shown in HD. HD is still an expensive outlay. The HDTV's are coming down in price but the programming is still way over priced and no gain in channels has come out in quite some time. I am personally disgusted with how HD is being handled. We can already buy 1080p when nothing is broadcast or available with that high of resolution. The HDTVs have been on the market for how long now? Where's the programming? Of course, why hurry when there are those who are willing to pay premium dollars for a hand full of HD channels which only a fraction of that programming is true HD anyway?

With that being said I do agree that HD is a better picture and taking advantage of true Progressive Scan is worth the investment in a HDTV.

I have a Sony 32" widescreen that cost around $1,200.00. A comparable picture could be had cheaper with less features on the set. This is an amazing HDTV, I haven't seen a LCD or Plasma any better. The only advantage the extra thousands will get you is size. This Sony weighs about 86 lbs.

I also have a 61 or 62" Toshiba DLP which cost just under $4k. I hate to rain on the parade of those who claim the old tech rear projector HDTV's look as good, but that just isn't so. The DLP sets offer a sharpness and clarity you will never get from the old rear projectors. Here again, I feel as good as this DLP is, why would anyone pay the expense of a LCD or Plasma.

My mom bought a 52" old school rear projector Mitsubishi HDTV and she always comments on why does my TV look so much better when they are both HD. I just have to explain we went with two different technologies.

EdwardGein
12-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Most of the Chain Stores as one of these posts implied, do not actually have HDTV broadcasts set up on their HDTVs or at least the HD Ready ones which is the majority so in all likelyhood what you are judging your purchase on or using to make a decision, is not an actual HDTV widescreen broadcast. I actually was originally against getting a widescreen simply because the numbskulls at Best Buy actually had 4:3 stretched non HD TV shows showing on their screens which were of course distorted & was lucky people repeatedly said to buy widescreen here.

If you are evaluating an HDTV for purchase/comparison, the best thing to do is go to a high end store that specializes in HDTV's as they will actually have true HDTV shows broadcast on their HDTV's in widescreen. If you then decide to buy, then check out the chain stores for the best price. Also, if you are planning to get your HDTV through your cable or satellite company, they will supply you with a tuner/receiver, so in all likelyhood your better of financially buying an HD Ready set as opposed to an HD Set with a built in tuner/receiver. In regards to Cable (I'm not sure about Satellite), they will rent you at minimal cost an HD DVR and there is no savings if you bought one yourself as they'd still charge the same for DVR service,

robert393
12-29-2005, 09:03 AM
............in reality there isn't that much out there actually shown in HD....Where's the programming? Can you get Dish Network Satelite? They offer a TON of programming. Just look at today's (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29723) HD line-up!

HD programming is still way over priced and no gain in channels has come out in quite some time. The current price for the HD-PAK is $10 per month. For that price you get:TNTHD, DSCHD (Discovery), HDNET, HDNET MOVIES, ESPNHD, HBOHD, SHOHD, DEMO CHANNEL, NFL & NBA Game of the week. That's about a buck ($1) month, per channel (less than 4-cents a day per channel!). In addition to the HD-PAK I pay $5 per month for 10 VOOM channels (that's 2-cents per day per channel!). You may want to reconsider your statement that HD programming is "way over priced". Let's not forget the "off-air" HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & UHF). They are FREE! That totals nearly 30 HD channels! Also, Dish Network is adding 7 more Voom channels in the next few days.....with no increase in price (still only $5 per month!).
........why hurry when there are those who are willing to pay premium dollars for a hand full of HD channels Please see above.

Sounds like you just haven't been willing to cough-up the few bucks HD programming cost. It cost pennies per day, for LOTS of programming.

Robert

Eric Z
12-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Great information, everyone- I'm feeling more and more motivated to take the leap! Now, how is the audio in the HD broadcasts? Is everything 5.1, or are some just like standard TV. I just think it would be interesting watching sports (my Bears or Cubs) in 5.1; do they have sports in 5.1?

I'm learning a lot- keep it coming!

noddin0ff
12-29-2005, 09:35 AM
I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
With a truckload of hundred thousand dollar bills
Man came by to hook up my cable TV
We settled in for the night my baby and me
We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past dawn
There was fifty-seven HD channels and nothin' on

Well now home entertainment was my baby's wish
So I hopped into town for a satellite dish
I tied it to the top of my Japanese car
I came home and I pointed it out into the stars
A message came back from the great beyond
There's fifty-seven HD channels and nothin' on

Well we might'a made some friends with some billionaires
We might'a got all nice and friendly
If we'd made it upstairs
All I got was a note that said "Bye-bye John
Our love is fifty-seven channels and nothin' on"

TV just isn't worth $6K at any resolution. Apologies to Bruce.

robert393
12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Great information, everyone- I'm feeling more and more motivated to take the leap! Now, how is the audio in the HD broadcasts? Is everything 5.1, or are some just like standard TV. I just think it would be interesting watching sports (my Bears or Cubs) in 5.1; do they have sports in 5.1?

I'm learning a lot- keep it coming! Eric, to my knowledge all HD programming is 5.1 DD. For sure ALL sports are 5.1 DD. Crystal clear picture, true 5.1 surround. Get an Off-air antenna, sign-up for satelite, and buddy, you are "cooking"!

Robert

robert393
12-29-2005, 09:44 AM
TV just isn't worth $6K at any resolution. Remember, you are on a HOME THEATER forum. That means we have an interest in high PQ (picture quality). I understand if you are not interested in paying $6k for HOME THEATER PQ, but excuse me for saying, but you may be in the wrong forum. For a HT enthusist, $6k may be a bargain. It is all relative.

Robert

GMichael
12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Remember, you are on a HOME THEATER forum. That means we have an interest in high PQ (picture quality). I understand if you are not interested in paying $6k for HOME THEATER PQ, but excuse me for saying, but you may be in the wrong forum. For a HT enthusist, $6k may be a bargain. It is all relative.

Robert

$6K
divided by 365 days a year
diveded by a conservative 5 years
equals $3.287 per day of pure entertainment.

Go to a movie:
$10 a ticket times 2
$5 a soda
$5 for popcorn
equals $30 for a few hours of entertainment

Go to a game:
$30 a ticket times 2 (these are the cheep seats)
$5 a beer
$4 a hot dog
Oh please, add this one up for me.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-29-2005, 12:48 PM
[I]
TV just isn't worth $6K at any resolution. Apologies to Bruce.

Doesn't that depend on ones own judgement and perspective? It may not be worth $6k to you, but to Robert, and perhaps myself, it does. Especially when you consider that you are not just getting HDTV, but well done upscaled DVD picture(mine does professional quality upscaling to 1080P), and in some cases VERY good quality picture from SD sources. IMO (and just mine) $6k is just the starting block.

L.J.
12-29-2005, 01:00 PM
And more importantly, does the performance justify the $$$$?

$1700. 57" JVC about 3 years ago. I also got a nice pile of BB reward zone cert. back.

HD and DVR through Comcast cable, only $9.95 per month.

Worth every penny.

Eric Z
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Am I correct to assume the $5 or $10 extra per month for HD everyone is talking about is on top of your current cable/satellite cost? Just wondering. I know I could look at Comcast or Wide Open West (cable companies in Chicagoland area) websites, but I really don't want to right now.

noddin0ff
12-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Doesn't that depend on ones own judgement and perspective?...

Yep. I gave mine.

But in the spirit of full disclosure I refuse to pay for expanded basic, digital cable, or movie options. I don't need HD for PBS or TWC. My TV viewing is 95% DVD. When DVD is HD I'll reconsider. My cable bill is less than $10 per month.

Tarheel_
12-29-2005, 01:19 PM
I paid $0, nadda, zilch, nothing for HDTV.

Do i miss it? No, haven't really seen much of HDTV except in audio/video stores. Still too expensive and not enough content to justify.

I have a 2001 Hitachi 50" 4:3 RPTV that works nicely for now. Although, if i was to watch a few games of NHL Center Ice in HDTV i'd probably be sold.

but, until then, i'm waiting another year or two for a dedicated HT in the basement and will go the HD projector route and hope there is more programming and less cost to play.

all in all, i'm playing the waiting game and getting more money out of my initial investment.

L.J.
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Am I correct to assume the $5 or $10 extra per month for HD everyone is talking about is on top of your current cable/satellite cost? Just wondering. I know I could look at Comcast or Wide Open West (cable companies in Chicagoland area) websites, but I really don't want to right now.

yep, for comcast.

westcott
12-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I paid US$1800 for a 100"+ HD picture.

Front projection really is the cheapest per inch of picture. Panasonic AE700u.

Yes, rear projection is dying a slow death. Flat panel technology is getting cheaper and provides better picture generally (minimal off axis viewing issues like RPTV).

If you have the space and want a really LARGE picture for a better price of other technologies, go take a look.

Happy Holidays!

robert393
12-29-2005, 01:42 PM
$6K
divided by 365 days a year
diveded by a conservative 5 years
equals $3.287 per day of pure entertainment.

Go to a movie:
$10 a ticket times 2
$5 a soda
$5 for popcorn
equals $30 for a few hours of entertainment

Go to a game:
$30 a ticket times 2 (these are the cheep seats)
$5 a beer
$4 a hot dog
Oh please, add this one up for me.Careful there GM, you don't want to confuse people with the facts when their mind is already made-up! Seriously, great analogy.
It may not be worth $6k to you, but to Robert, and perhaps myself, it does....$6k is just the starting block.Well said Big Fella, I was just thinking how naive it would be to think $6k would get you much more than a quality (1080i) monitor bigger than 80", much less anything else ie, 5.1 sound, DVDP, speakers, wire/cabling, satelite, processor, sub, etc, etc, etc.......
What I have always had a hard time understanding is why some people spend their time on a HOME THEATER forum, when there interest lies elsewhere. For instance, I have absolutely NO DESIRE for a DJ turntable setup, and personally I wouldn't spend $10 on one. I fully understand enthusist spend thousands of dollars on such set-ups (I knew a guy...ok?). But, you won't see me on a DJ-Turntable setup forum telling people how ridiculous it is to spend thousands of dollars on such set-ups!

Let's face it, the HT arena is only getting bigger. More and more people are getting excited about it and spending mega-cash for it. HT is a hobby that gives many hours and years of enjoyment in return!
Am I correct to assume the $5 or $10 extra per month for HD everyone is talking about is on top of your current cable/satellite cost? That would be correct.
.....When DVD is HD I'll reconsider. Better get ready to cough-up some cash then. When you get a 1080i capable monitor and the HD DVDP and start buying those HD DVD'S that $6k budget you mentioned won't stretch too far!

Robert

GMichael
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Careful there GM, you don't want to confuse people with the facts when their mind is already made-up! Seriously, great analogy.Robert

Thanks, I was in a rush to a meeting and didn't get to really finish what I was going to say. But the idea is there.

What I have always had a hard time understanding is why some people spend their time on a HOME THEATER forum, when there interest lies elsewhere. For instance, I have absolutely NO DESIRE for a DJ turntable setup, and personally I wouldn't spend $10 on one. I fully understand enthusist spend thousands of dollars on such set-ups (I knew a guy...ok?). But, you won't see me on a DJ-Turntable setup forum telling people how ridiculous it is to spend thousands of dollars on such set-ups! Robert

To each their own. Maybe it's just not his time for HT.

But I don't always notice what catagory a post is in. I just check all of the ones I haven't read yet. And even if he did, it's his dime. I don't mind if he doesn't want HD yet, or ever.

Let's face it, the HT arena is only getting bigger. More and more people are getting excited about it and spending mega-cash for it. HT is a hobby that gives many hours and years of enjoyment in return!That would be correct.Better get ready to cough-up some cash then. When you get a 1080i capable monitor and the HD DVDP and start buying those HD DVD'S that $6k budget you mentioned won't stretch too far!

Robert

I like it. I'll keep upgrading as my budget alows. HD DVD's will be a part of it someday, I'm sure.

noddin0ff
12-29-2005, 02:11 PM
What I have always had a hard time understanding is why some people spend their time on a HOME THEATER forum, when there interest lies elsewhere.Who said my interests aren't in HT? HD isn't the ONLY component of the HT experience. In fact, I'm very enthusiastic about HT and enjoy it very much with out HD. I have a hard time understanding why some people equate $$$ spent with interest, enthusiam, or ability to know what money buys.

More and more people are getting excited about it and spending mega-cash for it...Better get ready to cough-up some cash then. When you get a 1080i capable monitor and the HD DVDP and start buying those HD DVD'S that $6k budget you mentioned won't stretch too far!
Robert
Ahhh! I see. How dumb of me to assume that HT was for the Everyman, now I see it's for the monied. Maybe we should have separate forums. One for people who invest over $10K for their hobbies and a second for those who spend under $10k, you know, for the people who have inferior enthusiasm for the hobby.

GMichael
12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Who said my interests aren't in HT? HD isn't the ONLY component of the HT experience. In fact, I'm very enthusiastic about HT and enjoy it very much with out HD. I have a hard time understanding why some people equate $$$ spent with interest, enthusiam, or ability to know what money buys.

Ahhh! I see. How dumb of me to assume that HT was for the Everyman, now I see it's for the monied. Maybe we should have separate forums. One for people who invest over $10K for their hobbies and a second for those who spend under $10k, you know, for the people who have inferior enthusiasm for the hobby.

Good pionts nod. Sorry If I suggested that you have no place here.

BadAssJazz
12-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Hmmm, well I am one of those folks who has yet to experience HDTV, but intend to go all in as early as tomorrow. I have a modest budget of $1800 to get a decent monitor. I'd love a 42" plasma, given the space saving features, but I've yet to find anything other than an EDTV in that range. A 34" CRT may be my next best bet -- not entirely a bad idea if I can get one for just over $1K. That leave ample $$$$ for a new DVD player and a few DVDs to boot.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Who said my interests aren't in HT? HD isn't the ONLY component of the HT experience. In fact, I'm very enthusiastic about HT and enjoy it very much with out HD. I have a hard time understanding why some people equate $$$ spent with interest, enthusiam, or ability to know what money buys.

You are correct, It is only one component. Your opinion is as valid as anyone's on this forum, however when you po po on someone elses decision to spend $6k on just the video side of their setup, its not an opinion anymore, its a judgement. Uncool IMO.

People with a huge interest in cars spend big bucks on cars. People who have computer interests, and desire the best spend big money on a faster, better computer. People who are REALLY into their hometheaters, and like the best, spend big money on their hometheaters. $6k doesn't even cover my speaker package, that is the level of enthusiasm that I put into my hometheater. Its not that I am bragging about how much money I spent on my system, but the level of quality I desire for me. Others could spend more, or less than I did based on their desires to reach their sonic goals.

Never understood why some folks have a penchant for being so drastic just to make a point. We have enough seperatism already(race and social class), we don't need anymore more reason to seperate ourselves. A man with a million dollar home can talk on the same house and garden forum as the guy with the $250,000.00 home. No need to introduce social and economic class to hometheater. Its about your personal level of investment(and that is what a hometheater is), not about who's pissing stream goes the furthest.

EdwardGein
12-29-2005, 05:20 PM
I have Time Warner. Off the top of my head, to get HD basic service ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox,
Discovery, TNT, PBS & HBO HD & SHowtime HD (these 2 are free in HD if your paying for these premium channels) prices is about $10 a month plus an additional $10 or so a much for HD DVR which Time Warner Provides you. For an additional few dollars you can get HD Net which includes ESPN in HD. If you don't watch these channels, obviously HD isn't worth it, but assuming you do, it definately is.

EdwardGein
12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
From what I'm reading on this board is people are looking for excuses to rationalize not spending money on an HDTV no matter what the price. I'd say the difference between watching HDTV & not is slightly less then the difference between watching color TV & black & white. I'm sure 35 years ago people with black & white sets were saying why buy a color one when not all the shows were in color. Anyway, if you have an average size living or family room, you can easily fit in a widescreen rear projector 42-60" HDTV which you can buy from a name brand for anywhere between $900 to $1300 new on sale from a chain store (the 55- 60" might be higher, this is my rough estimate from always seeing the Sunday sales in the papers, websites & actually going to the Chain stores fairly regularly).

robert393
12-29-2005, 06:12 PM
From what I'm reading on this board is people are looking for excuses to rationalize not spending money on an HDTV no matter what the price. I'd say the difference between watching HDTV & not is slightly less then the difference between watching color TV & black & white. I'm sure 35 years ago people with black & white sets were saying why buy a color one when not all the shows were in color.
Probably the best analogy I have heard yet! I'll bet some of those peope STILL have their B&W TV too....LOL!!

Robert

robert393
12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Hmmm, well I am one of those folks who has yet to experience HDTV, but intend to go all in as early as tomorrow. I have a modest budget of $1800 to get a decent monitor. I'd love a 42" plasma, given the space saving features, but I've yet to find anything other than an EDTV in that range. A 34" CRT may be my next best bet -- not entirely a bad idea if I can get one for just over $1K. That leave ample $$$$ for a new DVD player and a few DVDs to boot.I would love to know some of the specifics & requirements for your room ie, viewing distance, room lighting (controlled or uncontrolled), room dimensions, and primary usage.

With a budget of $1800 for the HD monitor, you may have more choices than you originally thought.........start a new thread and give us some info please.

Robert

noddin0ff
12-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I was striving for sarcastic over dramatic but, yes, I took a cheap shot at robert when I picked $6k because I get tired of his disdain for people who are happy with less. When there are comments like

Better get ready to cough-up some cash then. When you get a 1080i capable monitor and the HD DVDP and start buying those HD DVD'S that $6k budget you mentioned won't stretch too far! then obviously someone is equating $$$ with someone else's enjoyment.

I know what $6k buys. It buys what many would consider an outstanding HD setup. Who's poo poo-ing on who? Personally, I think HD is overpriced still for what you get. I don't think the value is there. For me the content is not there either. If I was a sports fan, HD would be a big incentive. I'm not. I watch DVD. So for me, HD is not worth $6K. It's not worth $2K for me either. I do think HD is the future, but I'm a sarcastic prick who doesn't think HD is worth it now. I hope the other sarcastic pricks out there got a little chuckle.

GMichael
12-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm a sarcastic prick who doesn't think HD is worth it now. I hope the other sarcastic pricks out there got a little chuckle.

Ooh ooh, me me. Can I be one of the sarcastic pricks? I like to chuckle.

noddin0ff
12-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Ooh ooh, me me. Can I be one of the sarcastic pricks? I like to chuckle.

You're off to a good start by leaving off the smilies and the '!'s. Now you just have to offend someone. You can do it, I believe in you. Really.

GMichael
12-30-2005, 09:58 AM
You're off to a good start by leaving off the smilies and the '!'s. Now you just have to offend someone. You can do it, I believe in you. Really.

You mean that I'm not in yet?! :mad:

Prick! :rolleyes:

How's that? :confused:

BadAssJazz
12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
I would love to know some of the specifics & requirements for your room ie, viewing distance, room lighting (controlled or uncontrolled), room dimensions, and primary usage.

With a budget of $1800 for the HD monitor, you may have more choices than you originally thought.........start a new thread and give us some info please.

Robert

The studio is very small (14' X 26' for the viewing area) and I have blinds and drapes to control -- some would say annihilate -- ambient light. I have nocturnal tendencies and I prefer a dark room even during the day.

The viewing distance is approximately 8'. With the exception of twin audio tiers and the main speakers, I have about a 6' width of the longest wall to work with. I may eventually get rid of the audio towers, since I prefer to hide the electronics as much as possible. (Here's proof that things that appeal to you in your 20's certainly change as you get older. I now prefer not to see the receiver, CD jukebox, DVD player, amps, etc., exposed.)

Getting back to the HDTV, I use standard cable presently to catch sports and the occasional sitcom. I'm told for another $5 a month Comcast can provide an HD receiver (great, more electronics to hide); presently under consideration.

But primary use will be to watch DVD's. I'd like a better viewing experience than I'm presently getting from my 27" Sony WEGA. Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, eh?

robert393
12-30-2005, 01:17 PM
I took a cheap shot at robert....I get tired of his disdain for people who are happy with less. Thank God we have you here to Police this forum, and weld your judgement, and put people in their place! :rolleyes:

$6k buys buys what many would consider an outstanding HD setup."Outstanding" would certainly be a relative term. Wow! Don't know where you shop, but......good luck with that! My frontal sound stage cost more than that! ;)

Personally, I think HD is overpriced...I don't think the value is there...It's not worth $2K. Like I said before, maybe you're on the wrong forum then. This is a HT forum and HD is the absolute best PQ ever available. Seems pretty obvious you are not real enthusiastic about HT/HD or the cost associated. Hey, that's fine by me. You can watch a 13" B&W Zenith, and listen to it from a distance with a string and a tin can for all I care :p . But, you may find yourself getting even more frustrated, because usually people on a HT forum are going to be getting really excited about HD/HT, big fancy monitors, high resolutions, and in general spending money on the hobby they love. Good thing we have you here to Police us and let us know when we are not being frugal with our spending! :rolleyes:
I'm a sarcastic prick who doesn't think HD is worth it Errrr.....OK. I think you have proved that point quite convincingly!!!! :D

Groundbeef
12-30-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a Sony Wega 37" Plasma, and love it. I hope to get a 50" or larger Plasma for the basement when I finish construction. ( Doing basement remodeling myself...I'm on the 5 year plan right now)

My father in law still has a ROTERY phone, and just upgraded to an answering machine. Pretty sure he hunted around for one that uses a huge tape reel...probably reel to reel actually. I can only wait until 2008 when his TV shuts off because he will never buy a digital converter. So some people really do have old equipment!

Ohhh sorry, used an apostrophe there.

robert393
12-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Ohhh sorry, used an apostrophe there Yes, no puntuation (other than period) allowed here!! I'm sure you will be getting grief from (you know who :mad: ). He may let this ( 1) slide, if you promise not to use any of the Smilies ;)

Robert

HT BUFF
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
My in-laws just bought a 51" Toshiba Cinema series rear projection CRT HDTV for $1,259 CDN,the 3 year extended warranty was another $167, amazing.
I had a friend that bought the 57" version 3-4 years ago @ $4,700.

Mr Peabody
12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Any cable or satelite company I've checked you have to have the HBO or Showtime package in order to get their HD channel. I just checked with Dish and that is the way they are and you can get 5 HD channels for $10.00, then you can get an additional dish which will allow you to get the Voom channels for $5.00. I have Charter cable and I get my local and network HD for paying $9.99 for the DVR service. In my special they hooked me on I have all the movie channels so I get the HBO, Showtime & Cinemax HD but normally you have to have those movie packages extra to get the HD. They also offer some additional HD channels, maybe a half dozen or so, for another $9.99, none of which I would watch so it's not worth it.

If you think HD is worth the extra expense, more power to you. I can't justify paying what they are asking for those few channels. Like some body else said, it could be different for sports fans. When I do find a movie I'd like to watch on the HD movie channels it is pretty cool to have it in HD & 5.1.

DVR on the other hand is something that once you get hooked is hard to imagine going without it.

It's obvious that some here are happy with the HD and willing to pay whatever to get it and others are not, but which ever side of the fence you are on you have to admit that the HD programming has been very slow in coming. Is it the lack of programming or are the providers just sitting back and letting those who are willing to pay fatten their bank accounts? Look, they gave away free DVD's when I bought my first DVD player and I have had a cell phone for many years and have never paid for a phone. Think about it, I'm sure you can think of many other examples. When the industry wants something to roll they will give it a push, so what's up with HD?

Woochifer
12-30-2005, 10:14 PM
I just got back from SoCal where I helped my parents pick out a new TV. Keep in mind that most of their TV viewing right now isn't even DVD resolution. I've been trying to tell them for the past six years that the tube on their TV is fried and they need to get a new one (to get any image to show clearly they need to bump the brightness full blast, so the blacks look grey and any image with bright colors has blooming galore). Well, it wasn't until the speakers on the TV started crapping out and crackling that they finally decided that they needed a new TV. My parents were so desperate to get a new TV that they started calling AV stores ON CHRISTMAS DAY to see if they could find one that was open on Dec. 25th. I couldn't believe that they actually found a store (Superco Home Theater in Cerritos and Monterey Park). So, off we went on a Christmas shopping adventure.

Since their eyesight needs more assistance nowadays, my mom decided that she wanted to go with a 50" TV. I thought that a rear projection DLP or LCD TV would work well for them. But, my mom hates the limited viewing angle of rear projection, and got a look at the flat panels. She was sold on the plasmas (funny how it seems that the WOMEN are willing to pay more when it comes to big screen TVs). So, we wound up looking at several of them. They wound up deciding on a LG plasma with the built-in HD DVR and TV Guide (they never figured out how to program a VCR, but the DVR did not take them long at all to understand). After about an hour of haggling and bargaining on price, they got the TV with a rack and a free VCR for $5k. And LG apparently also has a 24-month interest free financing program right now, which my parents gladly took advantage of.

http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000000648/50PX4DRH.pdf

After setting it up for them, I must say that the images look quite impressive. The LG does a pretty good job at smoothing out standard definition programs, and DVDs have a film-like quality to them. And we're not even talking about HD! I bought a UHF antenna to see if the TV could pull any digital broadcasts, but couldn't. So, it's up to my parents to decide if they want to upgrade their cable service to digital (they currently have the bare bones $10/month basic service).

Compared to other sets that I've seen, the plasmas do have deeper black levels, but the rear projections have also made huge strides. Amazing the kind of picture quality that's now available at the $3k price point, which IMO exceeds what $6k would have bought you just two years ago.

I must say it's VERY weird that my parents pulled the trigger on a HDTV before I did! I mean, I got the audio part of my setup finished, while my parents now have the fancy video setup. Too bad I moved out of my parents' house a long time ago, otherwise the combined setup would be quite nice!

EdwardGein
12-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Maybe I overlooked this because I get Showtime & HBO from Time Warner & consequently I can see them in HD, but you can get the basic HD Package from Time Warner Cable covering (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, TNT, Discovery & PBS) without having to have Showtime or HBO. Personally, unless you live under a limited budget & can't afford it, I think the people who don't get HD etc. because of "principle" are totally assinine & ridiculous, but that's just my opinion. My brother in law goes to his rich retired dentist friend's house every weekend to see the Jets game on his dish system from NFL ticket which the Dentist plays on his big screen widescreen HD TV. They don't see the game on HD though because the assinine dentist won't pay an extra $150 or so, on principle, to be able to receive the games in HD.
I have absoluely no respect for those kind of people.

There are some stupid people who don't understand that on Cable in order to watch HD, you have to go to the HD channel. So idiots are watching Channel 2 (CBS) instead of 1102 HD CBS.

EdwardGein
12-31-2005, 12:34 AM
Your parents bought a $5,000 Plasma HD set but haven't decided to spend $10 or so a month on HD (I'm pretty sure you need to have digital service to get HD), forgive me if I'm puzzled, why? Maybe I misread this but this makes no sense at all from a common sense point of view because for a few hundred dollars they could get a perfectly decent non HD Set if they just wanted to watch regular cable.

Woochifer
12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
What I have always had a hard time understanding is why some people spend their time on a HOME THEATER forum, when there interest lies elsewhere. For instance, I have absolutely NO DESIRE for a DJ turntable setup, and personally I wouldn't spend $10 on one. I fully understand enthusist spend thousands of dollars on such set-ups (I knew a guy...ok?). But, you won't see me on a DJ-Turntable setup forum telling people how ridiculous it is to spend thousands of dollars on such set-ups!

Keep in mind that we got a very wide range of interests populating this forum. Just because people have an interest in home theater does not mean that they want to spend $6k+ on a video monitor. For example, my interests have primarily been on audio side, and I've chosen to stand pat on the video side for a variety of reasons. For others, video is their primary focus, and they're fine with a HTIB or even a two-channel setup to handle the audio.

I understand your enthusiasm for HD, but sometimes you get overly presumptuous about the reasons behind why people have not yet chosen to make the HD upgrade. For one thing, IMO every current approach to HDTV has at least one significant drawback, whether it's performance or price or size. By far the best HD playback that I've seen was with a calibrated direct view 16:9 CRT. Drawbacks are that direct view CRT HDTVs have limited screen size, the cabinets are bulky, and the TVs are very heavy. Rear projection is an economical way to get a large screen size, but has problems with limited viewing angle and not-so-great image quality on standard definition programming (like it or not, the vast majority of programming out there is not HD and will continue to be for at least the next few years). Plasma and LCD flat panels, and front projection also have their share of tradeoffs.

Let's face it, the HT arena is only getting bigger. More and more people are getting excited about it and spending mega-cash for it. HT is a hobby that gives many hours and years of enjoyment in return!That would be correct.Better get ready to cough-up some cash then. When you get a 1080i capable monitor and the HD DVDP and start buying those HD DVD'S that $6k budget you mentioned won't stretch too far!

And as with any other consumer electronics category moving over from niche status to the mass market, the prices on HD and home theater gear in general continues to tumble. Just on the HDTV side, the prices on comparable flat panel sets have gone down by about 40% just in the past 12 months. The 50" LG plasma that my parents bought last week for $5k had a list price of $8k back in May.

People who always want to be an early adoptor pay for that privilege (and subsidize those consumers who are fine with waiting a year or two before jumping on a new format bandwagon). I'm fine with coughing up the cash for my HT gear, but I'm equally fine with waiting things out so that I can cough up less of it. I think it's premature to talk about the HD disc players, considering that they're not even out yet and we don't know how invasive the copy protection restrictions will be on the production units (check around the internet and you'll see how much the copy protection issues have dampened the enthusiasm for HD-DVD and Blu-ray). With Blu-ray especially, IMO it would be foolish to buy those players right when they come out considering that the PS3 due out in spring 2006 will have Blu-ray playback built in, and will have to compete on price with the $400 Xbox 360.

Woochifer
12-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Your parents bought a $5,000 Plasma HD set but haven't decided to spend $10 or so a month on HD (I'm pretty sure you need to have digital service to get HD), forgive me if I'm puzzled, why? Maybe I misread this but this makes no sense at all from a common sense point of view because for a few hundred dollars they could get a perfectly decent non HD Set if they just wanted to watch regular cable.

You did not grow up with my parents, so it's easy to be puzzled by their decision making process! I grew up with them, so their logic actually makes sense to me, as scary as that might seem. Keep in mind that they currently pay $10 a month for bare bones basic cable. Upgrading to the digital service with HD would bump that up to about $55 a month on their system.

It basically comes down to my parents wanting a larger screen size, but not something with a narrow viewing angle. My parents primarily watch DVDs, VCDs, and broadcast channels. They've barely begun to understand how to use the TV Guide screen and DVR. I'll let them enjoy that for a while. They are interested in HD, but that means forcing them to learn how to use a digital cable box. (Keep in mind that they never figured out how to program a VCR)

EdwardGein
12-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Personally I feel that the bulky size & weight of rear projector widescreenTV's should not be considered a negative basically if you have a normal sized living room or family room as it fits in fine in these rooms and the weight is irrelevant as it will be delivered to you anyway and be on wheels anyway if you want to then move it around your room. Obviously, if you can afford an LCD or Plasma set the same screen size, buy that, but if money is limited, you can get a really good rear projector 42"-55" for $900-$1200 or so.

learner
12-31-2005, 07:49 AM
Paid $957 for my 51" Hitachi,tax and everything, during a local Sears morning after Thanksgiving sale. Initially thought I had ordered the F510 but actually got the F710(even better). I havnt had the chance to hook mine up yet since I am waiting to move but my sister and brother in law made the same purchase and I have played with theirs and I am VERY pleased with the picture quality.

Mr Peabody
12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I can respect folks who have a principle even though I may not agree, at least to a point. But some of what you mention I blame on the industry and poorly trained sales staff. When I bought my first HDTV, the Sony, it did have a built in tuner, the sales person was unable to explain how HD is picked up. I had a pair of rabbit ears that could pick up HD. I was tuning the local channels in and wondering if it was HD. It wasn't until I done a scan for digital channels and realized each regular channel was broadcast on another channel in HD, like channel 2 was NTSC but 2.1 was HD. This was a self learned thing, really by accident. My mom had the cable company come out and hook up her HD receiver. I went over to check it out and they had hooked up both component and composite cables. I couldn't understand why, so I disconnected the composite. My mom *****ed me out up one side then another because her news wasn't in widescreen anymore. I explained the news isn't in HD yet. Oh yes it is, I had it before you farted around with it. Apparently she wasn't even watching HD even after the dumb*ss hooked it up for her. It wasn't until she was over at my house and saw the news wasn't in widescreen on mine that she almost understands. I tried to explain it's like black & white, if a movie isn't color, you don't see it in color. I still don't know if she understands but she at least accepts it now. I guess she don't have a choice since I disconnected her composite. I can't stand going into a mass merchant anymore because I get so tempted to step in and say, that's not correct, mam this is how it is. But who will the consumer believe and I guess we all have to make our way.

It comes down to what's important to you. Some are happy with NTSC and others are ready for the next best thing. Some are happy with just the TV speakers and others want full blown surround sound. And that's why boards like this are so important, so that we can learn from each other and help unweave the confusion.

EdwardGein
12-31-2005, 11:45 AM
What I've picked up from this board is unless a show is truly broadcast in HD no matter how good the color is, on the HD channel it will not be widescreen. IE, if I am watching the Apprentice on NBC HD (1104) as opposed to NBC (4), the picture while looking great will be larger then 4:3 but not full widescreen, so it isn't an HD broadcast. Alot of Reality shows aren't filmed in HD & I think shows like Nightline & Saturday Night Mysteries aren't either.
The main thing you need to know or relatives/friends of you need to know is that HD will only be broadcast on HD channels, not the regular channel.

Then there is an asswhole company like TNT HD which actually stretches old shows and makes watching them to me a horrible experiences as they absolutely distort the image and it hurts my eyes.

If you had a choice between watching TV on your own antenna or watching it via Cable or Satellite which would you chose forgetting the fact that you won't get as many channels either? The answer for most people would be cable or satellite, so to spend extra money because an HD TV has a built in antenna/receiver, is basically ludicrous.

Also, you need to buy better component cables rather use the cheap stuff the cable & satellite company provides you for HD as it will make a difference.

recoveryone
12-31-2005, 01:46 PM
I can respect folks who have a principle even though I may not agree, at least to a point. But some of what you mention I blame on the industry and poorly trained sales staff. When I bought my first HDTV, the Sony, it did have a built in tuner, the sales person was unable to explain how HD is picked up. I had a pair of rabbit ears that could pick up HD. I was tuning the local channels in and wondering if it was HD. It wasn't until I done a scan for digital channels and realized each regular channel was broadcast on another channel in HD, like channel 2 was NTSC but 2.1 was HD. This was a self learned thing, really by accident. My mom had the cable company come out and hook up her HD receiver. I went over to check it out and they had hooked up both component and composite cables. I couldn't understand why, so I disconnected the composite. My mom *****ed me out up one side then another because her news wasn't in widescreen anymore. I explained the news isn't in HD yet. Oh yes it is, I had it before you farted around with it. Apparently she wasn't even watching HD even after the dumb*ss hooked it up for her. It wasn't until she was over at my house and saw the news wasn't in widescreen on mine that she almost understands. I tried to explain it's like black & white, if a movie isn't color, you don't see it in color. I still don't know if she understands but she at least accepts it now. I guess she don't have a choice since I disconnected her composite. I can't stand going into a mass merchant anymore because I get so tempted to step in and say, that's not correct, mam this is how it is. But who will the consumer believe and I guess we all have to make our way.

It comes down to what's important to you. Some are happy with NTSC and others are ready for the next best thing. Some are happy with just the TV speakers and others want full blown surround sound. And that's why boards like this are so important, so that we can learn from each other and help unweave the confusion.
Nice Peabody, its sounds like when Progressive DVD players came out and every tom dick and harry was rushing out to buy one thinking that they would get a better picture. But little did the masses know that they needed a progressive supported T.V. I understand what you went through with your mother. I have many friends that think getting a big screen means they will get HD and widscreen is no different than normal 4:3 just the shape of the T.V. Not until I bring them over and let them watch and hear my setup then they get the hint. I will say that the Cable industry is sucking the joy out of HD with poor service and quality of the HD programing that they offer. They are so quick to blame the customer for poor reception and other problems. I don't even try to watch HD on NBC cause the signal is so bad, but it works fine on ABC, FOX , CBS, PBS and ESPN. I have called Adelphia serveral times and all they do is a line boost as they call it. And since I have my upstairs T.V.'s on an another line they won't send out a tech cause they said it may cause interference with the HD signal.

EdwardGein
12-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Well I can't speak for other cable companies or Time Warner outside of LA, but in LA I am very happy with my HD Cable service, the picture is perfect & the 2HD DVRs they provide me are excellent & I haven't had any problem whatsoever. The cost is relatively inexpensive. I would recommend though that if your getting your HD by Satellite or Cable, that you buy your own component cables as they provide you with cheaper less quality ones. My only problem with Time Warner Cable in LA is actually one in which they shoot themselves in the foot more than the customer- they do not inform their customers here on a timely basis when they have new & improved service/equipment available- i.e. I had to find out on this board that they had HD DVRs available and then I had to find out on this board that they had an upgraded HD DVR available Scientific Atlanta 8300 which was programmed to let you make DVD/VHS copies from it (the 8000 model wasn't) & I think gave you more recording space too (not 100% sure on that one).

L.J.
12-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Interesting points. My brother purchased a $4k Sony about 5 months ago. I had no clue he was making this purchase, he just called out of the blue and said it was getting delivered. After he got the TV setup he calls me and says there's something wrong with my set, the picture doesn't look crystal clear like it was at the dealer. He thought by getting the TV he was gonna get that HD picture with any signal. After a little talk with me, he signed up for HD service and now he understands.

I also know a family who just purchased a 65" Mits about 6 months ago and they only have basic $10 cable. I guess many out there dont' care or just don't understand.

ED, I feel you on the cable service. I was not notified of HD or DVR service in my area by the company. But I do get a high speed internet flyer about once per week.

RoyY51
12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
I was fortunate enough to purchase a Hitachi F500 at the grand opening of a Comp USA for $999.00. I have Time-Warner's Scientific Atlantic HD DVR, and as I set here watching the Giants-Raiders game in glorious hi-def (I can count the individual beads of sweat on Tiki Barber's forehead) my response is a resounding YES! The only problem is that I am now unable to watch sports in anything BUT hi-def. I have been completely spoiled and I Love It!

L.J.
12-31-2005, 05:41 PM
The only problem is that I am now unable to watch sports in anything BUT hi-def. I have been completely spoiled and I Love It!

TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS!!!!...........Oh, yeah that makes two of us. Well worth the money if you're a sports fan.

EdwardGein
12-31-2005, 07:13 PM
If your on Time Warner, The Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD DVR will not copy onto DVD/Video recorders while the 8300 allows you to do this. I use this for shows I've already recorded but want to see again in the future. Time Warner unfortunately, in all probability, will dump the 8000 on you, unless you specifically request the 8300 model, which they'll let you exchange for as well. I also don't think the 8000 broadcasts in 5.1 sound while the 8300 does. Right now I don't think you can record 5.1 sound into stand alone DVD recorders as I don't think they have optical inputs (just outputs) due to the people in the Motion Picture business.

recoveryone
01-02-2006, 12:42 PM
"Also, you need to buy better component cables rather use the cheap stuff the cable & satellite company provides you for HD as it will make a difference" (Edward)

I took your advise Ed and went out to my local RS and picked up some better cables to replace the adelphia ones they gave me. The jury is still out, but I will post again after a few days of testing.

EdwardGein
01-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I get all my component cables new but at a low price using Ebay. Mine are I think are Monster Standard THX component cable. I think it retailed between 80-$100 in stores but I got
for around $35 give or take including shipping. I'm very happy with the HD picture on my set with these as well as DVD which I also use Monster Standard cables.

If they charged you a significant price for your component cables & you can get them alot cheaper online, if the inconvenience is worth your time, return them from the store you bought them. Let us know if you see a difference or not. I don't have any experience with Adelphi as I use Time Warner so I have no idea how HD service is from them. Do you rent an HD DVR from them? How is it?

recoveryone
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Naw, just rent a HD box

EdwardGein
01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Naw, just rent a HD box

Assuming Adelphi has these available as Time Warner does, I definately would recommend renting an HD DVR for all of $10 more a month- Quality is fantastic & it makes life so much easier. You can record 2 different channels at the same time & even record 2 while watching something you recorded on the DVR. You can watch TV without going through the endless commercials by just fast forwarding them. Super easy to use, Great quality Records in 5.1 sound (at least scientific Atlanta 8300 does) & you can transfer your recordings to VHS/DVD (at least with the 8300 model).

recoveryone
01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Assuming Adelphi has these available as Time Warner does, I definately would recommend renting an HD DVR for all of $10 more a month- Quality is fantastic & it makes life so much easier. You can record 2 different channels at the same time & reven record 2 while watching something you recorded on the DVR. You can watch TV without going through the endless commercials by just fast forwarding them. Super easy to use, Great quality Records in 5.1 sound (at least scientific Atlanta 8300 does) & you can transfer your recordings to VHS/DVD (at least with the 8300 model).
If I was into recording stuff I would consider, but I don't watch much regular TV. I spend more time on my computer than watching TV. Thats why I'm looking for a 32"WS LCD for the bedroom to serve as both TV and computer monitor. The most viewing that I do is Sports or DVD movies, I could name all the regular shows I watch on my hands. Thats how little I view regular TV.

EdwardGein
01-03-2006, 10:06 AM
I wish I could say the same about myself but I'm a TV addict as opposed to couch potato. Between taping great movies on Turner Classic Movies, great series on FX, Showtime, HBO, Biography channel & Network TV plus the occassional sports event, it's almost hard to keep up, even with 2 DVR's & even in early retirement at 52!

recoveryone
01-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Well I had Adelphia come out today and check my system and WOW would you believe they found something wrong with their equipment. The main line in the ground leading into the house is sending a signal that is too strong and causing interfearence with my T.V. So they have to send out a work crew tomorrow to fix it. They better come early before the game. All this time I knew it was not on my end, but you can't tell them that............

EdwardGein
01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Based on your experience, you might want to try Satellite out. I've actually never seen any positive endorsements of Adelphi.

As to the Big Game, if push comes to shove, I'm sure there's a sports bar/restaurant near you, go early!

Mr Peabody
01-03-2006, 07:59 PM
The reason I went with satelite so many years ago was the price of programming. The same reason cable got me back last spring. Cable gave me a ton of programs and they had local channels in HD. I quickly learned to hate the cable company, I'm talking about Charter, who I think is now also AT&T. It's a company that you have to wonder if anyone is really running it. If you don't need any real tech support or have a problem you are fine. The cable company, despite the technology they offer, is still of the "screw one cable in the back of your TV and run" mentality. They offer the DVR, HD, etc but the employees have no idea what the stuff is or how it is supposed to work. It took me nearly a year to figure out a technical problem with the Moxi box. The cable company couldn't even verify if their box output a digital signal from the Toslink output. I even had them elevate the problem to a useless manager. I had to contact Motorola on my own and finally the manufacturer of my processor. In the end I learned the tolerance was too tight on the processor as to what digital signal it would accept. I had to send it in for a fix. Apparently the Moxi will output a digital signal but it is somehow inferior or weaker than what comes from a Dishnet receiver or DVD player.

recoveryone
01-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Based on your experience, you might want to try Satellite out. I've actually never seen any positive endorsements of Adelphi.

As to the Big Game, if push comes to shove, I'm sure there's a sports bar/restaurant near you, go early!
Well Ed is goes like this, When I first brought the house 14 years ago I wanted a dish (the big ones back then). The wife didn't want to spend the cash, then around 97 you start hearing about the smaller dishes and all the stuff they promised. The more I read the more disapponited I got about the small dish (no local channels back then and the extra cost of adding more T.V.'s) So in 2000 when I brought my 55" in waiting for the HD explosion to come on the scene I figured it was best to wait on the cable people. I was on the list for over a year. I was the first person in San Bernardino to get HD (Beta tester). As I expected their would be glitches and not much programming, but things got a bit better but not to the level that I felt it should be for the total cost of what I was paying for. At one point I even dropped the Digital channels and just kept the HD with regular cable. The wife missed watching the life time movie channel and a few others so I had it added back on. Its just one of those nagging things that get under your skin. I'm not a big TV watcher, but when I do I want what I'm paying for and not be frustrated with the quality. Its bad when your sitting their and trying to watch a show and miss half the dialog due to sound drop off's. When they went to full digital sound for all the channels it got worse and thats is when I started calling. The funny thing to me still is that most of all the channels are digital surround or digital stereo except MTV, VH1, and BET you would think you would want you music channels to be in some form of stereo. The higher band music channels are (MTV 2 VH1 soul MTVjams ...etc.....) I even get horse racing in digital stereo ( what a waste) If the cable compaines would ask their comsumer which channels they would like I'm sure I would have less Asian and Hispanic channels to wade through. Its sad cause they look soooo goood and sound nice, but I don't understand a word.:p
And everytime they say they are adding more channels this is what I get. My spanish is getting better :D

Eric Z
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
is it too much too ask for cable companies to get it right for once? i can't believe how they keep on raising rates- especially when it's the only cable company in the area. my poor mom only has comcast available in her area and she pays $50+ for basic cable (not even digital) with no movie channels. she looked into getting cable internet through comcast (only company in her area again)and that would be another $45. i'm glad i have options by my house- i pay only $65 for basic cable and internet.

Mr Peabody
01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Feanor, I don't know if you were meaning to be funny but your post cracked me up, especially about your Spanish improving. I think what made it so funny is it's all true and I can relate.

When HD first started out I was told everything broadcast in HD would be 5.1. Imagine my disappointment. Some one on the Rumors Forum said that MTV was supposed to be starting an HD channel. If they do I hope it's music not current MTV crap.

recoveryone
01-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, I can say now that Adelphia got it right this time. I saw the work crew around the corner from my house today and I watched the Rose bowl game without a glitch hitch or a burp in sweet HD. I went through other channels during the breaks just to make sure and I can truly say I am in HD heaven now. But I still stand by the rest of my remarks regarding channel lineup and sound quality of music channels.....:p

L.J.
01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
hhhmmm....perhaps I should give Comcast a call. My HD is always wiggin out on me. I'm not sure if it's the stations or what. Jumps back and forth between widescreen and full, sound coming in and out, or the sound gets very choppy; but when I turn the channel and then turn back to the previous channel I was watching it's not choppy anymore. This ONLY happens when I'm watching football in HD though, so I'm assuming it's the stations.

zepman1
01-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Paid about $2500 for Hitachi 50" RP LCD, and it is definietly worth it. Costs more than the RP CRT's which do produce stunning HD pictures as well, but the viewing angle is much wider and it looks just as good with the sun shining for a Sunday football game as it does at night for the Sunday night game. One of the best electronics purchases I have ever made.

recoveryone
01-05-2006, 08:29 AM
hhhmmm....perhaps I should give Comcast a call. My HD is always wiggin out on me. I'm not sure if it's the stations or what. Jumps back and forth between widescreen and full, sound coming in and out, or the sound gets very choppy; but when I turn the channel and then turn back to the previous channel I was watching it's not choppy anymore. This ONLY happens when I'm watching football in HD though, so I'm assuming it's the stations.
L.J. after getting the results I got, I would recommend giving them a call and have them check the incoming signal levels. Mine where too high which caused interfearence on my HD channels and causing sound drop off while having in digital sound mode. the tech said if I had a cable modem it would have been turning off and on, lucky I have DSL through my phone company.;)

zepman1
01-05-2006, 08:36 AM
I only read the first page or so of posts, but I believe the thread was titled "How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv?". I suppose how much I paid for my HDTV is probably in the wrong thread, my bad.

zepman1
01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
for some reason my posts are not being placed in the correct order (at the end of the thread)

recoveryone
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Paid about $2500 for Hitachi 50" RP LCD, and it is definietly worth it. Costs more than the RP CRT's which do produce stunning HD pictures as well, but the viewing angle is much wider and it looks just as good with the sun shining for a Sunday football game as it does at night for the Sunday night game. One of the best electronics purchases I have ever made.
did you reply on the wrong thread, glad about your purchase but we are not talking about that here.

robert393
01-05-2006, 08:40 AM
did you reply on the wrong thread, glad about your purchase but we are not talking about that here. Actually the topic here is "How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv?". So, his reply was appropriate. I think some of you guys got off topic..........?
Robert

noddin0ff
01-05-2006, 08:42 AM
did you reply on the wrong thread, glad about your purchase but we are not talking about that here.

The thread titled " How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv?" is the wrong thread for his post?

recoveryone
01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
The thread titled " How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv?" is the wrong thread for his post?
My bad, I jumped in on the second page so I missed the first few post