Speaker Selector with Mini System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Selector with Mini System

markow202
12-28-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a rare made Pioneer Mini System I purchased a few years ago for close to $600. It has a sticker on it which reads 140W + 140W RMS. So I assume its 2 channels of 140watts continuous each?

It comes with 2 speakers consisting of the woofer/mid/tweeter. Woofer is 8 inch per speaker.

I then wanted rear channel speakers and bought a pair of BOSE 161s. At first I had them hooked up into the rear channel connection and the sound still wasnt filling as I wanted it so I had a speaker selector which matches impedance and put now all 4 speakers into it. I noticed the receiver system itself now with all speakers selected gets slightly quieter and losses the lower bass levels but still hits hard with no to little distortion.

Would I be better off ditching this nice Pioneer unit and having better sound with a basic receiver from Best Buy or is this unit still putting out more then enough power? The bose can handle 10 to 100Watts. Its been like this for 2 yrs, Im happy with the sound pretty much but just afraid of doing harm.

System never overheated or stopped even when cranked numerous times.

markw
12-28-2005, 02:23 PM
First off, you're splitting whatever power that unit puts out between four speaker systems and impedance matching speaker switches do, by nature, limit the power they pass. Second, those new speakers only have 2 1/2 " drivers which aren't known for prodigious bass.

State the price you're willing to pay for better sound. I've got some ideas and I'm pretty sure others are thinking it as well. Hint... it involves new speakers.

Oh, what's the impedance of the original speakers that came with the system? Their back panel should state this.

SlumpBuster
12-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Your speaker selector is not "matching" impedance. When you turn on both speakers it is wiring them in series and the amp is seeing the load jump from 8 ohms to 16 ohms on average. You are experienceing a resulting loss in power since you are driving a more resistant load. That is where your loss of dynamics (bass) and volume is coming from. You are essentially using the minisystem to do something it was never intended to do. i.e. drive four speakers. On the upside, there is very little risk you are damaging anything by running the speakers in series. If you ran them parallel, then there would be a strong risk in damaging your amp.

markow202
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
If im happy enough with the sound right now which I am, should I leave it as it wont damage anything?

Aswell if my power rating on the unit says 140W + 140W RMS is that more than enough?

markw
12-28-2005, 09:12 PM
That 140/140 spec has me curious but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

markow202
12-29-2005, 05:29 AM
thanks alot guys!

Aswell for those 2.5" twiddler bose, you'd be surprised at the bass they put out. Not earth shattering but if I have them on alone, and at a good volume you can feel the vibrations in my bedroom furniture lightly. Strong Mids!