Juice Up Time for Receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Juice Up Time for Receiver?

EdwardGein
12-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Would appreciate anyone giving me an answer or opinion on this- if you leave your receiver always on, thus never turning the power button off, will your sound be more powerful when you then play a CD or DVD or will it always sound the same whether the receiver was powered off a day before or not or whether its permanently on? Is there any damage if you always leave a receiver powered on? Thanks for any input

GMichael
12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Uh, more powerful because it was left on all day? Huh? I would doubt that. Don't know if it would hurt anything to be left on. I always turn mine off though. Just a habit from when I was a kid and Pop would belt me if I left anything on while not in the room. Wasteful ya know.

JohnMichael
12-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Another school of thought is that it is best to leave electronics on all the time except if you are going to be away from home for several days. The surge during turn on are hardest on electronics and can shorten their lives.

L.J.
12-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Another school of thought is that it is best to leave electronics on all the time except if you are going to be away from home for several days. The surge during turn on are hardest on electronics and can shorten their lives.

what about standby mode, is that the same as leaving it on?

topspeed
12-28-2005, 10:41 PM
if you leave your receiver always on, thus never turning the power button off, will your sound be more powerful when you then play a CD or DVD or will it always sound the same whether the receiver was powered off a day before or not or whether its permanently on? For receivers, any differences would likely be inaudible. Charging the caps only takes a few moments and ss gear doesn't need time to stabilize like tubes. Tubes take a little longer, but we're still only talking about maybe 10 minutes. There is considerable debate about warm-up, much along the same lines as "break-in." As this is really a simple thing to determine, why not try it yourself and see if you can hear a difference? Come to your own conclusions :).

Is there any damage if you always leave a receiver powered on? Thanks for any input There can be if you don't have a surge protector. The general consensus is that electronic gear receives most of it's wear and tear when it's switched on and off. Personally, I always leave my gear on except when I leave for a few days at a time. That said, I also have everything hooked up to a power conditioner with surge protection.

Hope this helps.

EdwardGein
12-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your opinions/advice. Where've you been Topspeed? What is a conditioner, what does it do & what would you recommend? I've been using my Monster lower echelon surge protector for the past 5 years ever since my computer got fried which I was stupid enough to have it plugged into a socket when I should have known better.

topspeed
01-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your opinions/advice. Where've you been Topspeed? What is a conditioner, what does it do & what would you recommend? I've been using my Monster lower echelon surge protector for the past 5 years ever since my computer got fried which I was stupid enough to have it plugged into a socket when I should have known better.
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I travel a lot over the holidays and 1qtr so I don't come by as often as I usually do.

To answer your question, read this article (http://psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp) from PS Audio. Now obviously, it will be biased, but it's also written in plain english for those of us that aren't engineers. You'll note there are are multiple types of protection, from line conditioners to surge protectors to regenerators like PSA's Power Plants or Richard Gray's Power Centers. They can range in price from a $40 to multi-thousands. As for recommendations, just pick one that suits your needs and your wallet. The usual suspects are Monster, RGPC, ChangLightspeed, and PS Audio (which started this whole thing).