Swap out Polk Monitors for Infinity Beta? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Swap out Polk Monitors for Infinity Beta?

bjornb17
12-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,

As you probably know, i got some Polk Monitors a couple weeks ago:

2x Monitor 70
2x Monitor 30
CS2
PSW10

I found an authorized dealer online that sells Infinity Betas, and after tax + shipping, I'd only have to spend $100 more for the followings setup:

2x Infinity Beta 50
2x Infinity Beta ES250 (surrounds)
Infinity Beta C360

I also have a Velodyne CHT-12 that i'd use in either case. Should i just go ahead and get the Infinities?

GMichael
12-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Bjornb17,

I thought you liked your Polks? What happened?

I like the Beta's very much but don't think I understand.

bjornb17
12-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Yep i sure do like them! That's why im so confused right now myself. I was wondering if the Betas are good enough to consider swapping them out. I was originally going to buy them from CC but they were sold out so they gave me the Polks instead. Now that i can get the Betas for a good price im second guessing msyelf here. What should i do :confused:

GMichael
12-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Yep i sure do like them! That's why im so confused right now myself. I was wondering if the Betas are good enough to consider swapping them out. I was originally going to buy them from CC but they were sold out so they gave me the Polks instead. Now that i can get the Betas for a good price im second guessing msyelf here. What should i do :confused:

Grab a few of your favorite CD's and DVD's. Pack a lunch. And go to CC and listen till you know which one's you like best. Try to use an amp that's like the one you have. They do still have HK's right? Lock yourself in, and don't come out until there is no question left in your mind as to which are best.
Can you return the Polks?
Can you return the Beta's?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, bring both home for a couple of weeks to do some more listening.

bjornb17
12-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Grab a few of your favorite CD's and DVD's. Pack a lunch. And go to CC and listen till you know which one's you like best. Try to use an amp that's like the one you have. They do still have HK's right? Lock yourself in, and don't come out until there is no question left in your mind as to which are best.
Can you return the Polks?
Can you return the Beta's?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, bring both home for a couple of weeks to do some more listening.

I can return the Polks (just have to drive 16 miles to CC), but I probably cant return the infinities since they would be ordered online and I wouldnt want to pay the return shipment fees. they only have the Beta 20s left at circuit city, and doing a side by side comparison between them and the Monitor 30s, i liked the Betas by a slight margin. however i cant do a monitor70 to beta 50 comparison since they dont carry the Betas anymore (discontinued i guess).

I think my biggest hesistation is that I don't want to rip circuit city off by returning perfectly good speakers. Then again, their website had listed the betas in stock when i ordered them only to find out it was an error. man o man :(

GMichael
12-28-2005, 01:36 PM
I can return the Polks (just have to drive 16 miles to CC), but I probably cant return the infinities since they would be ordered online and I wouldnt want to pay the return shipment fees. they only have the Beta 20s left at circuit city, and doing a side by side comparison between them and the Monitor 30s, i liked the Betas by a slight margin. however i cant do a monitor70 to beta 50 comparison since they dont carry the Betas anymore (discontinued i guess).

I think my biggest hesistation is that I don't want to rip circuit city off by returning perfectly good speakers. Then again, their website had listed the betas in stock when i ordered them only to find out it was an error. man o man :(

Oh man are you ever in a pickle now. You know of coarse, that no matter which one you pick you'll wish you got the other. No way out man.
The good part is that they are both pretty good speakers. Good luck with your decision. I don't think there is anything else I can offer.
Sorry

bjornb17
12-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I think you're right. No matter what speakers i've ever owned, I always had my eye on something else, even if it wasnt better. Maybe i should just forget about it :)

GMichael
12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I think you're right. No matter what speakers i've ever owned, I always had my eye on something else, even if it wasnt better. Maybe i should just forget about it :)

Good luck with the forgetting part.
I heard a pair of Maggies (3.6's) last spring. I haven't been able to get them out of my head. Don't get me wrong, I love my Infinity's. They sound great to me. But the maggies were like magic. Then I heard some Totems, uht oh, now what do I do. Then KEF's. Wow were they great. I was jealous of you when you were planning on getting the Beta 50's for what I paid for my Primus 360's. Where will it all end? How will I decide what to buy when the time comes? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
What a great hobby. What happened to the good ol' days when I thought, I'd like a Harley. Blue would be nice. Pow, got it.

bjornb17
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
...must....think.....happy....thoughts

anamorphic96
12-28-2005, 08:09 PM
If im not mistaken isn't the Infiniti Beta Series a step above the Polk Monitor seires. More inline with the RTi series. Anyways I would switch them out. The Infinities seem much more balanced and neutral to my ears. Polks seem really bright until you hit the LSi series. The Monitor series especially. I think the Infinites would be a major step up.

SlumpBuster
12-28-2005, 08:31 PM

If that is the only thing holding you back, return the Polks and get the Betas. If CC doesn't want returns, they shouldn't have a 30 day return policy printed right on the receipt. Even if the Betas don't cure your upgrade bug, if you are getting a good price anyway. New speakers never killed anyone. :D

Breezer88888
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Here's one more reason to get the Infinity package. The C360 center channel will knock your socks off - totally different league than the Polk center, although comparing it to the Polk's CS5's would be a great steel cage match!

I have great respect for both speakers. Since I tread toward mostly HT usage, I prefer a serious center channel. The only tricky part may be to find a way to fit the Infinity C360 into your entertainment unit. Its wide, heavy and could cause you some trouble. But definitely worth your effort. I have the earlier Infinity (IL36c) which has the same dimensions. I just thought you might want to factor that into your decision. But I'm sure there's so many factors already on your mind.

Good luck,
Breezer

bjornb17
12-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Here's one more reason to get the Infinity package. The C360 center channel will knock your socks off - totally different league than the Polk center, although comparing it to the Polk's CS5's would be a great steel cage match!

I have great respect for both speakers. Since I tread toward mostly HT usage, I prefer a serious center channel. The only tricky part may be to find a way to fit the Infinity C360 into your entertainment unit. Its wide, heavy and could cause you some trouble. But definitely worth your effort. I have the earlier Infinity (IL36c) which has the same dimensions. I just thought you might want to factor that into your decision. But I'm sure there's so many factors already on your mind.

Good luck,
Breezer

Well since i have front projection, and using a speaker stand for center channel, size isnt an issue. To be honest, the bigger the better!

Anyway, i decided to stick with what i have an save the extra $100 and buy some CDs or whatever to listen to :)