Question: 1200$ PC Media Center [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question: 1200$ PC Media Center

marouxlas
01-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Hello,

I am relatively new to the audio world and I facing a challenge that many others out there might have to deal with as well. So I thought I should ask for help in this forum.

What I want to be able to do:

1) Play an MP3 collection from a computer to a nice HT set. Before everyone comes after me I should clarrify that I am talking about 200-250 kbps VBR mp3s, not the ones that you can find on Kazza. Basically I ripped my whole CD album collection into my PC so I can browse and play them faster. Soassume that almost perfect quality is there.

2) Play DVDs from a computer to a nice HT set.

Ok now here are my specifics:
1- Music (80%), Movies (20%)
2- Should not be limited to a specific kind of music, all kinds should be of decent quality (classical, hip-hop, etc).
3- Budget of 1200$ for everything (except subwoofer that can add to the 1200$).
4- Room size, let's assume an average 18ft x 22ft with normal high ceiling.

This system will be used only for playback, not recording music, and like I said the source of audio would be solely the computer from either its CD/DVD player or the MP3s from the hard drive. NO other external inputs, analog or digital.

So my research so far shows that I would need:
a) A good soundcard to get the digital signal out + a Digital-Analog Converter (DAC) as a separate device OR a really good soundcard with a nice DAC onboard.
b) An amplifier since the signal coming from the soundcard is not strong enough.
c) A set of speakers: two front, two back and a center one, subwoofer optional due to budget limitations.
d) Cables that match the quality of the components.

Issues I would like to hear from you:
1- Which models/setups would you recommend keeping in mind the low 1200$ budget? There are probably different approaches with some components maybe installed in the same device etc. Also can I skip the sound card and use a firewire connection instead?
2- Where do you think that most of the budget should be spent on and why that component is more important than others in the chain?
3- There is also the option of playing stereo music through a surround system after the two-way signal is transformed into a 5.1 one. Any experience with that would be appreciated.

Please be as detailed as possible without getting extremely technical. Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you

The way I am thinking of spending my budget:
400$ to get the digital signal to analog.
300$ for an amplifier
300$ for front speakers
200$ for back and center speakers

F1
01-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Basically DVD players that I know of will play MP3 format so you may as well get a DVD player. If you insist to connect your PC direcly to amplifier, I suggest to get JVC receiver RX-9010VBK that has front USB connection to play MP3 directly from your harddisk. This receiver has msrp $550 but the street price should be lower.
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026195&page=2
Spend the rest of your budget for speakers. Good luck.

marouxlas
01-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Basically DVD players that I know of will play MP3 format so you may as well get a DVD player. If you insist to connect your PC direcly to amplifier, I suggest to get JVC receiver RX-9010VBK that has front USB connection to play MP3 directly from your harddisk.

Thanks for the suggestion.Right now I am looking at the following setup:

1) XITEL Pro HiFi-Link ~80$

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000078WG6/ref=ase_1-book-20/103-8088221-0538207?v=glance&s=electronics

This device seems to be a life-saver for me since you can plug your usb port on your machine and get an optical or coaxial cable on the other side to connect it to any receiver. It completely bypasses the soundcard and because it is a usb (external) device there is not so much interference.

2) Yamaha RX-V640 Receiver ~400$

Almost identical to the RX-V740 but without a few specs that I do not really need. It seems to be the best receiver in its class, with Denon AVR-1804 coming close second.

3) Front speakers :CBM-170 at about 340$

Best bookshelf speakers in that price range, no question about it.

So that leaves me with 400$ for 2 back speakers + a nice center speaker. Probably the center speaker will take most of that money.

Any suggestions for front Floor speakers in that price range (<450$) that might sound better than the CBM-170s?

Also center speaker/back speakers within my budget? - Thanks

Topher5000
01-16-2004, 10:44 AM
You should check out the Prismiq MediaPlayer ( www.prismiq.com ). It connects to your PC by ethernet cable or wifi, has a remote & plays mp3s, wma, divx & avi's. I'm not sure if plays DVDs though. It sells for $270 CAD. It looks like the Xitel only passes audio, though I could be wrong.
Prismiq is also coming out with a MediaPlayer/Recorder that adds TIVO-like functions & allows you to record TV on your PC.

F1
01-16-2004, 05:02 PM
The Xitel looks like a good option. Your receiver choice (RX-V640) is also a good choice. For speakers, you can just get all Ascend package (CBM-170 front and center + HTM-200 surround) for $698 + $22 shipping. You can add subwoofer later. It seems you are on the right track.