How often do you clean your DVD/CD player lens? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your DVD/CD player lens?

L.J.
12-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Just wondering how often you guys do this....

GMichael
12-28-2005, 09:22 AM
My wife cleans it every couple of weeks.
If it's in the house, she cleans it. Whether I want her to or not.

L.J.
12-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Maybe I shoulda been alittle more specific. I was refering to cleaning the lens.

GMichael
12-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Maybe I shoulda been alittle more specific. I was refering to cleaning the lens.

Ooops, sorry. By time it's dirty enough to need cleaning it will be obsolete.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

JohnMichael
12-28-2005, 09:55 AM
The couple of times I have had the cover off of my cd player the lens always looked clean. I would say I have cleaned it twice in about 9 years. Different environments might increase the need for more frequent cleaning. Top loaders where the lens is exposed more might need frequent cleaning.

Resident Loser
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Just wondering how often you guys do this....

...thus far...since the tray is the only thing that shows itself to allow loading a disc, I would have to open the unit to do so...I subscribe to the old philosophy of "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

While we're at it, my el cheapo GPX portable(gotten at Sears for $7 after rebate) is a clamshell affair, I've not cleaned it either. I do handle my small collection carefully, avoiding smearing PB&J, and like contaminants, on the data surface

I'm thinkin' it would take a good coating of oily, grimy dust to put the kafritz on the laser, etc....and then confound the redundant info the disc is encoded with...I mean it could happen...but hasn't yet...

jimHJJ(...now the stylus for my vinyl is a whole 'nother thing...)

N. Abstentia
12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I've never cleaned a lens on any of the players I've ever owned over the last 7-8 years! I would imagine the unit would wear out before needing to be cleaned.

Wireworm5
12-29-2005, 07:48 AM
I have a cd lense cleaner you just pop in like a normal cd. It is suppose to clean the lense for you. I bought it at a store cheap, and it also is a calabration disc. I've used it twice since I bought it and plan to use every three months or so after I go through my cd collection. Me being a smoker, I suppose smoke residue could dirty the lense. It hasn't done any damage that I can tell, so why not use it? :)

jocko_nc
12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
I think Monster has a new cable that conducts so well actually sucks the dirt right off the lens. No need to clean.

jocko

Resident Loser
12-29-2005, 08:55 AM
..."...think this through with me..."

I have a cd lense cleaner you just pop in like a normal cd. It is suppose to clean the lense for you. I bought it at a store cheap, and it also is a calabration disc. I've used it twice since I bought it and plan to use every three months or so after I go through my cd collection. Me being a smoker, I suppose smoke residue could dirty the lense. It hasn't done any damage that I can tell, so why not use it? :)

...A calibration disc that cleans??? A piece of attached chamois? A teeny-tiny burst of air from the disc? What do you suppose could clean things in a non-contact medium?

jimHJJ(...not tryin' to be snotty, jus' wunnerin'...)

L.J.
12-29-2005, 09:51 AM
I have these two products, that I rarely use.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160602w345.jpg

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/3989/3989508_sa.jpg

Woochifer
12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
I use a lens cleaner whenever I start getting pauses or skips on my players. Our room gets dusty VERY quickly, and as such, I notice that the tray on my DVD player in particular will accumulate dust. With the disc tray opening and closing, and discs getting changed out all the time, I would guess that at least some of that dust makes its way onto the lens. Using a lens cleaner, it does help with the pauses and read errors on my DVD player. When my CD changer started skipping on occasion, the lens cleaner did not help (replacing it with a new SACD/CD changer did help :) ).

kexodusc
12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
I have a $125 Technics CD player in my workshop. That shop has seen no less than 2000 lbs of MDF cut do smithereens, creating all kinds of sawdust and other nasty fine particles. I listen to no fewer than 5 cd's a week in there, sometimes 50. There's a small pile of MDF sawdust on it right now.
After 6 years, still no cleaning. Everything appears to be in order. I live in fear of what the inside of that thing looks like.

GMichael
12-29-2005, 11:24 AM
I have a $125 Technics CD player in my workshop. That shop has seen no less than 2000 lbs of MDF cut do smithereens, creating all kinds of sawdust and other nasty fine particles. I listen to no fewer than 5 cd's a week in there, sometimes 50. There's a small pile of MDF sawdust on it right now.
After 6 years, still no cleaning. Everything appears to be in order. I live in fear of what the inside of that thing looks like.

Fear not. If it stops working it's just a new opportunity to upgrade your main CD player and move the old one into your workshop.

See? It helps to have twisted logic sometimes.

L.J.
12-29-2005, 11:34 AM
hhhmmm.....I was for sure evryone was gonna be on some strict cleaning schedule. I guess it aint that big of a deal. You guys are right, next time my player skips.........I'm upgrading..... :D