HELP w/ Surround Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP w/ Surround Speakers

CharlesF
12-27-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm posting this here instead of the Speakers forum as I don't know if I have a speaker, receiver, or DVD player problem.

(Infinity Entra speakers, no subwoofer, Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver, Sony DV-NS755V DVD player, optical cable connection)

The sound level coming out of the right surround speaker is almost twice as loud as the front channels, while the left is noticeably softer. (If the front speakers are at "5", then the right surround is about a "10" while the left is about a "3" or "4".)

Now, when I use either the Onkyo setup mic or adjust the levels myself using the receiver's test tones, I can get all five speakers sounding about the same level.

Play a DVD, though, and everything sounds like it's coming from the right surround speaker. It's so bad that I've got the speaker pointing away from the center of the room. In fact, just today I used the THX calibration program on the Revenge of the Sith DVD (Christmas gift) and even there the right speaker was out of whack.

I've tried all of the obvious stuff (at least I think) -- checking connections, polarity, I even swapped the two surround speakers. I've gone through the setup menus on both the receiver and DVD player multiple times. (BTW, this all applies to movies, I haven't even bothered to hook up my old CD player to the receiver.)

Any suggestions? I guess what I'm worried about is that I've assembled this system over a the past few years (the receiver was the last component, bought a few months ago) and I don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

Thanks!

thekid
12-28-2005, 05:11 AM
I'm posting this here instead of the Speakers forum as I don't know if I have a speaker, receiver, or DVD player problem.

(Infinity Entra speakers, no subwoofer, Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver, Sony DV-NS755V DVD player, optical cable connection)

The sound level coming out of the right surround speaker is almost twice as loud as the front channels, while the left is noticeably softer. (If the front speakers are at "5", then the right surround is about a "10" while the left is about a "3" or "4".)

Now, when I use either the Onkyo setup mic or adjust the levels myself using the receiver's test tones, I can get all five speakers sounding about the same level.

Play a DVD, though, and everything sounds like it's coming from the right surround speaker. It's so bad that I've got the speaker pointing away from the center of the room. In fact, just today I used the THX calibration program on the Revenge of the Sith DVD (Christmas gift) and even there the right speaker was out of whack.

I've tried all of the obvious stuff (at least I think) -- checking connections, polarity, I even swapped the two surround speakers. I've gone through the setup menus on both the receiver and DVD player multiple times. (BTW, this all applies to movies, I haven't even bothered to hook up my old CD player to the receiver.)

Any suggestions? I guess what I'm worried about is that I've assembled this system over a the past few years (the receiver was the last component, bought a few months ago) and I don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

Thanks!

It sounds like the DVD player. Does the problem exist when say you are playing music from your AM-FM tuner? Do you have another DVD player you can hook up and test? If the tuner and or the switched out DVD player sound okay then I think you have isolated the problem to the current DVD player.