Hard time to choose the right 5.1 set of speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hard time to choose the right 5.1 set of speakers

French Canadian
12-27-2005, 03:54 PM
First of all, excuse my english, I am a french canadian and it is not so easy for me to write in english.

I intend to purchase a set of 5 speakers for music listening and home cinema purpose.

I have been reading a lot of your past speakers reviews and I can't figure out what is the best choice for under $500 bookshelf speakers.

I am hesitating between :
-Focal Chorus 706 s speakers
-Polk audio RTi4 or Rti 6
-Axiom Audio Millennia M3Ti
-Paradigm Atom
-Boston acoustics CRC7
-Whaferdale diamond 9.1

Could you give me your advice.
I am mainly listening old 70's rock music, popular and classical.
I own a Denon AVR 3805 receiver.
I use my receiver 70% of the time for home cinema and 30% for music.

Thank you so much in advance.

Geoffcin
12-27-2005, 05:49 PM
First of all, excuse my english, I am a french canadian and it is not so easy for me to write in english.

I intend to purchase a set of 5 speakers for music listening and home cinema purpose.

I have been reading a lot of your past speakers reviews and I can't figure out what is the best choice for under $500 bookshelf speakers.

-Paradigm Atom
-Boston acoustics CRC7
-Whaferdale diamond 9.1

http://www.audioreview.com/AXIOMSURROUNDcrx.aspx

You can even contact them in French.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/fr-ca/

PDK
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM

-Paradigm Atom
-Boston acoustics CRC7
-Whaferdale diamond 9.1

If I were living in Canada, I'd take an extra long look at Paradigm. They are reportedly less expensive in Canada (where they are made) than in the USA. I have found them to have a very good price/performance ratio and are what I am using. Are you looking to spend a total of $500 or looking for a pair under $500? I have not used any from the Paradigm Performance line (Atom, Titan, etc) but started with the (now no longer manufactured LCR350) Monitor series and feel the MiniMonitor is a nice little speaker.

With any bookshelf speaker, you may want to look into a sub as well. If you were to go with Paradigm, a PDR10 might be a nice lower priced option. The HSU subs are supposed to be highly regarded in the <$500 range. If you are interested in an HTIB type speaker package, I will have to take a look but I believe the Paradigm Cinema 70 series was featured in S&V or The Absolute Vision magazine recently.

Toshiba 32HDF82
Denon AVR1905
Denon DVD2200
Paradigm PS1200
Paradigm CC300
Paradigm Monitor 5
Paradigm Mini Monitors / ADP 350s (to dipole or not to dipole, that is my question)
Paradigm AMS250
MonsterPower HTS3500MkII
Lots of MonsterCables/Wires hooking it all together

edtyct
12-28-2005, 10:22 AM
The $500 price point threw me, too. None of the five or five.1 speaker systems in the list carries a total price that low. If we can open up the market a little bit, why not consider the Magnepan MMG Walls and MMG Center, which are about $900 in total (though Audio Review people have traditionally received a small discount; these speakers often show up in the Hot Deals banner on the righthand side of the AR page)? I'd easily rate them higher than any speakers in their price range that I've ever heard and, in many cases, speakers costing a whole lot more. Good planar speakers have a kind of airy grace rarely found in box speakers. Some of their appeal, however, will depend on the kind of music that you like and how you listen to it. They aren't booming boxes that you can crank to the high heavens to shake the house; they present a full soundstage with an airy and uncanny transparence. One drawback is that, unlike bookshelf speakers or small monitors, which can often survive until the budget allows for a subwoofer, the MMG Ws and C require a subwoofer from the outset, since they bottom out at 100 hz. But their bass shyness also makes them relatively easy to mate with a bass speaker (though this is not to imply that any old subwoofer would be as good as another). Another drawback is that they present a 5 ohm load that many budget receivers cannot handle. The good part is that this impedance is uniform throughout the frequency range of 100 to 16,000 hz. Except for the rather bulky center channel, the MMG Ws can hang on the fromt and rear/side walls well out of harm's way--to my mind attractively and unobtrusively. Click on the Magnepan ad on this site or go to Magnepan's own site for a closer look and some reviews. These particular speakers are obtainable only factory-direct. The rest of Magnepan's line is offered only by high-end dealers.

Also, while we're on the subject of Canadian speakers, Mirage and Energy make affordable monitors and systems that excel with music and film.

Ed

westcott
12-28-2005, 06:01 PM

-Paradigm Atom
-Boston acoustics CRC7
-Whaferdale diamond 9.1

Bowers and Wilkens hea!!!!