Here's to Louisiana! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Here's to Louisiana!

Snowbunny
12-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Lake Charles - Lucinda Williams

He had a reason to get back to Lake Charles
He used to talk about it
He'd just go on and on
He always said Louisana
Was where he felt at home
He was born in Nacogdoches
That's in East Texas
Not far from the border
But he liked to tell everybody
He was from Lake Charles
Did an angel whisper in your ear
And hold you close and take away your fear
In those long last moments
We used to drive
Thru Lafayette and Baton Rouge
In a yellow Camino
Listening to Howling Wolf
He liked to stop in Lake Charles
Cause that's the place that he loved
Did you run about as far as you could go
Down the Lousiana highway
Across Lake Ponchatrain
Now your soul is in Lake Charles
No matter what they say

I'm enjoying a little Lucinda this afternoon and it got me thinking about Louisiana and all the hurricane victims that have been displaced from their beloved cities. That girl makes me want to hit the road and see all those places she sings about, and just maybe I just will in the new year. ;)

Snowie

Swish
12-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Lake Charles - Lucinda Williams

He had a reason to get back to Lake Charles
He used to talk about it
He'd just go on and on
He always said Louisana
Was where he felt at home
He was born in Nacogdoches
That's in East Texas
Not far from the border
But he liked to tell everybody
He was from Lake Charles
We used to drive
Thru Lafayette and Baton Rouge
In a yellow Camino
Listening to Howling Wolf
He liked to stop in Lake Charles
Cause that's the place that he loved
Did you run about as far as you could go
Down the Lousiana highway
Across Lake Ponchatrain
Now your soul is in Lake Charles
No matter what they say

I'm enjoying a little Lucinda this afternoon and it got me thinking about Louisiana and all the hurricane victims that have been displaced from their beloved cities. That girl makes me want to hit the road and see all those places she sings about, and just maybe I just will in the new year. ;)

Snowie

and seen it all before half the place was washed away. It rained like crazy and made a mess of things, and the other guy that met us there (you know who) mentioned that if they ever got a really bad storm, the place would get destroyed. Talk about prognosication.

Anyway, Lake Charles is a pretty fine song and it happens to be on the new Lucinda dvd I just got, "Live from Austin, TX". I actually saw her live at the Jazz Fest back in 2001, although it was hardly a memorable performance. She did a couple good ones from Car Wheels, but showcased her "Essence" cd, which hadn't even been released at that point and turned out to be pretty mediocre. She turned it into a "Snooze Fest" IMHO.

Anyway, the Fest in '01 was excellent overall, with perfect weather and a great lineup of bands, while the weather made '04 kind of a bummer. I would, however, go back in a heartbeat, once they get things back in order. I would NOT vacation there for at least another year since the infra-structure is in shambles and much demolition needs to be done.

Swish

Ron Nasty
12-27-2005, 07:06 PM
"..I'm enjoying a little Lucinda this afternoon and it got me thinking about Louisiana and all the hurricane victims that have been displaced from their beloved cities. That girl makes me want to hit the road and see all those places she sings about, and just maybe I just will in the new year. ;)

Snowie[/QUOTE]

New Orleans in November is quite nice. However, and take this for what its worth, Lake Charles is way overrated. The city, not the song. The band at the Howard Johnson's last week was kicking, but thats aboot it cept for a few gambling joints. Altho the ride from there to New Orleans, is pretty damn nice, except for the rice fields. However, the drive-thru Daquiri and Margarita shacks (Doubles for price of one, during rush hour in the afternoon, really ) make up for the boredon. The interstate to New Loleans goes thru Baton Rouge. I went there once or twice. Worth a stop. Blues there if yer lookin. Plantations in St. Francisville (30 ml. north) are killer. Wait til fall to go if yer serious. New Orleans will be LOTSA nicer. Right now its a little, uhh, Yuchy, and stinky. Lu's song, Crescent City, brought tears to the eyes of grown men when she played a benefit there. Have a hoppy time there!
Lotsa good bunny food.

ForeverAutumn
12-28-2005, 06:47 AM
I would NOT vacation there for at least another year since the infra-structure is in shambles and much demolition needs to be done.

Swish

So, are we still planning for '07 or do you think that's a little optimistic?

I know that New Orleans is still planning on continuing with Mardi Gras and the Jazz fest in 2006. May be scaled down versions, but I was happy to see that they're still going on.

Swish
12-28-2005, 07:10 AM
So, are we still planning for '07 or do you think that's a little optimistic?

I know that New Orleans is still planning on continuing with Mardi Gras and the Jazz fest in 2006. May be scaled down versions, but I was happy to see that they're still going on.

although it's bit early to commit to that. I am anxious to see how the rebuilding goes before I make a decision. I guess I'm wondering what kind of hotel/B&B we'll be able to find by then since a lot of properties were destroyed. The city hotels I'm sure would be ok, but I'd rather stay in the Garden District if it's in good shape by then.

Swish

Ron Nasty
12-28-2005, 07:48 AM
although it's bit early to commit to that. I am anxious to see how the rebuilding goes before I make a decision. I guess I'm wondering what kind of hotel/B&B we'll be able to find by then since a lot of properties were destroyed. The city hotels I'm sure would be ok, but I'd rather stay in the Garden District if it's in good shape by then.

Swish

Swish, we cancelled a convention down there scheduled for April based on reports we got from folks down there for just the reasons you've cited. We rescheduled for Fall '06. The city should definitely be on its feet in '07 in time for a full size Jazzfest and a full Mardi Gras. For what its worth, the area where your B & B is located is in pretty good shape. Their problem, along with other small businesses like them, is whether they can get "over the hump" until the tourism business picks back up.

NP - Nobody's 2002 comp

"I'd like to own a squadron of tanks"

MasterCylinder
12-29-2005, 05:03 AM
Mardi Gras ?

*MC flashes Autumn after heavy drinking*