Does a 110/220 volts transfer affect sound quality? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does a 110/220 volts transfer affect sound quality?

Walker
12-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi, I'm moving back to Europe and want to bring my home theater equipment and my stereo equipment (Harman Kardon, Cambridge Audio and all speakers B&W).
I will have to have everything go through 110/220 transformers.
How should I calculate the transformers?
Is one big one better than separates?
Most importantly will the transfer affect the sound quality?
Thanks,
Walker

Hairsonfire
12-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi, I'm moving back to Europe and want to bring my home theater equipment and my stereo equipment (Harman Kardon, Cambridge Audio and all speakers B&W).
I will have to have everything go through 110/220 transformers.
How should I calculate the transformers?
Is one big one better than separates?
Most importantly will the transfer affect the sound quality?
Thanks,
Walker
I had everything in my system going through a 1000 watt transformer, which was probably overkill for the system power requirements but that included my TV. I had no problems in the UK or when I moved back to the states. I did not own a turntable but I am told that the speed can be affected because of the 60 cycles vs. 50 cycles difference. Consumer power systems vary throughout the continent in Europe. I am a bit out of touch with what is and what is not each particular countries' systems. As far as sound quality, I was not the twisted obsessive compulsive audiophile that I have evolved into and can not unequivocably state that I was aware of any appreciable difference - I would bet that there isn't. That said, some excellent equipment is manufactured in Europe.

Walker
12-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks, did you buy the 1000 watt transformer in the US or in the UK?