$1000 floor speaker recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $1000 floor speaker recommendations

cookiemonster_05
12-27-2005, 12:41 PM
hey there
im starting from scratch here, strictly audio. music taste is dominated by rock, jazz and reggae. im considering NAD components, but im far from making any decisions. i know that the way to decide on all the parts is by auditioning, but where do you start? can i audition an entire system, or do i have to purchase one of the parts first?
thanks for the suggestions

Geoffcin
12-27-2005, 03:06 PM
hey there
im starting from scratch here, strictly audio. music taste is dominated by rock, jazz and reggae. im considering NAD components, but im far from making any decisions. i know that the way to decide on all the parts is by auditioning, but where do you start? can i audition an entire system, or do i have to purchase one of the parts first?
thanks for the suggestions

The Axiom M80's.

I'm about to post my review to the AR product review section, but if you don't feel like waiting, the short review is that they are outstanding for a stand alone 2-channel rig. Extended, smooth, and dynamic is my three attribute discription of them. Just what the doctor ordered for rock, jazz & reggae. Be aware, you will need a decent amp.

kexodusc
12-27-2005, 04:41 PM
I'll 2nd Axiom, I'm quite impressed with mine. Those aluminum drivers are really smooth until pushed hard, but if you buy the right size speaker for your needs you shouldn't have a problem. The OEM version of the woofers Axiom uses (which are probably not as good as the Axiom's) measure very well against some pretty high end Seas aluminum drivers. Axiom did a great job of squeezing every last ounce of performance out of these speakers. A testament to their great engineering.

Geoffcin
12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
I'll 2nd Axiom, I'm quite impressed with mine. Those aluminum drivers are really smooth until pushed hard, but if you buy the right size speaker for your needs you shouldn't have a problem. The OEM version of the woofers Axiom uses (which are probably not as good as the Axiom's) measure very well against some pretty high end Seas aluminum drivers. Axiom did a great job of squeezing every last ounce of performance out of these speakers. A testament to their great engineering.

Hi Kexo,

Yes, that's one thing that struck me about this company. Engineering seems to take a first place at Axiom.

For instance the M80's;

With the grills on the speakers looks similar to a large tower you might get anywhere, but take it off and it's WTF!? time. Three ports of varible length, six drivers in a 2 X 3 configuration. As a DIY guy you probably know better than most anyone here how difficult a task it is to get all the drivers & ports on the same page. But with all of that going on these speakers play more like a well designed 2-way with added gobs of slamming bass than a multi-driver array. I'll be damned if I can even hear the crossover frequencys!

kexodusc
12-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey Geoffcin,

They've actually kept it pretty simple as far as I can tell. The difference between a $80 Seas driver and the $15-20 ones in the Axioms is just the excursion and distortion properties. Here's the catch, you can buy 4 drivers for the price of one Seas, and never push any single driver to excursion limits or the point where it starts to distort. Sounds good to me. The multi port thing isn't so hard actually. Cuts down on port noise big time and helps with more precise tunning (and I suspect protects the drivers at the tuning frequencies).

The catch with Axiom speakers is to make sure you get the right one for your room and SPL needs.
I actually hated mine at first, but I find they sound a lot better with no toe-in at all, really cut down on the tweeter's harshness. If I find a tweeter bright, it must be scorchin'...Really opens up the soundstage.

These guys are all about value, and have been tinkering with this same basic design for over 10 years now. I'd say they're on the right track. Only 1 product line, not trying to be everything to everybody, just making the best speaker they can for the money. Kudos to Axiom.

wayner86
12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
It wouldn't hurt to look at PSB, Infinity, and Paradigm as well, all have excellent performance for the money.

Geoffcin
12-27-2005, 05:28 PM
It wouldn't hurt to look at PSB, Infinity, and Paradigm as well, all have excellent performance for the money.

You'ld be really hard pressed to find a speaker in this range that doesn't perform well. It all depends on what you want the speaker for though. If it's a bedroom, then the M80's would be silly, you'ld be better off with something like the Totem Rainmakers.

Woochifer
12-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Most of the floorstanding speakers in this price range that I've heard have issues with containing the cabinet resonance. Choose a floorstander if you want the extra low frequency extension and are willing to sacrifice a little bit of tonal balance, linearity in the frequency response, imaging coherency, and in a lot of cases, put up with some occasional resonance emanating from the cabinet. In general, you're better served by going with standmounts if you're willing to trade off some of the lower extension in favor of better imaging coherency and tonal balance.

It all comes down to your preferences and what tradeoffs in the tonal characteristics you're willing to make within your budget.

Kam
12-28-2005, 12:15 AM
I'd toss NHT in to the mix if you have a chance to audition them. the 2.5i's would be in that price range but they dont make this series anymore, unfortunately, the 2.5, 2.9 and 3.3's are discontinued, but if you can get a hold of them, are all phenomenal speakers imo. i havent heard them driven by nad though, just rotel, denon, marantz and yamaha (i personally like the marantz/nht synergy the best, if there is such a thing).
peace
k2

drseid
12-28-2005, 02:38 AM
I agree with Woochifer's response. In my listening I just have not been satisfied with floorstanders in this price range new (outside of a couple kits). For $1K, I would recommend looking at the used market (maybe a 2K floorstander at 50% off, which is quite common), or consider some high quality mini-monitors.

I guess I would put it this way... At 1K you can get a pair of "good" floorstanders, or you can get a pair of "superb" mini-monitors.

---Dave

scottie
12-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi there,

Feeling very much like you did a few weeks back. Talking to quite a few people I ended up with a vavle pre amp a Rotel 1070 ( used ) a Marantz CD player and some HGP floorstanders which I can assure you are great. You hear the music and not the speakers. However, audio is in the ear of the beholder and suggest you make up your own mind. I would invest in good cables and peripherals. For a good value CD player look at high end Marantz or Denon or Cambridge Audio which everyone raves about.

Most of all enjoy trying things out, and take your time.....

Scottie

cookiemonster_05
12-28-2005, 07:12 AM
thanks for all the info folks. on the acquisition order of all the parts, would you suggest taking the plunge on the components and then auditioning speakers? or should i just mix and match all the parts by audition? how dependent on the dealer is the audition process? am i likely to find someone who will let me audition a full system, then purchase parts i like? thanks again

SlumpBuster
12-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Do you presently have any amplification? Even a cheap receiver? If you have an amp of any sorts and are looking to drop a kilobuck on speakers, I would definately buy new speakers before any components. You'll get the most dramatic increase in performance that way. Then upgrade amps (whether a reciever, integrated, or pre/pro amp separates). Then, upgrade source components. Definately break this project up into pieces. Most people here will extole at length the virtues of delayed gratification. If you rush out and buy all the pieces at once your either going to overwhelm yourself (at best) or buy yourself a bag of regrets (at worst).

And, for my money I'd go with Paradigm Monitor http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/MonitorSpecs.htm over B&W, Dynaudio, Klipsh, Boston, PSB, ect. $1000 is a very popular price point. You will be lousy with choices. It really gets overwhelming when you factor in internet companies like Axiom.

cookiemonster_05
12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
im starting from scratch, no components. i guess i should just find a dealer who will work with me...
on the speaker issue, i would definitely consider getting a pair of monitors and adding a sub later. i read a review on the Amphion Helium2 loudspeakers that was very encouraging, but i have been unable to find any more info or reviews. any one have opinions/experince? or does that fall under the "dude, just audition them" catch all?

drseid
12-28-2005, 07:57 AM
No experience with Amphion unfortunately...

I *have* heard the Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1s that go for $1K/pr. and they were superb (very tough to find though -- so far I have only found them at a place in PA called "Quest for Sound"). The Linn Katans, while quite bass shy are also worth an audition if you can find them at $800/pr. Rega makes a good pair of budget mini-monitors at $500/pr.called the R-1s that would make a good pairing with a mid-line sub at the $1000 price point too.

---Dave

paul_pci
12-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Because components will have the least impact on the sound you hear, you're just going to drive yourself nuts trying to audition a complete system. Focus most of your attention on speakers and just audition them with components that will be roughly similar to what you intend to buy at some point. So, if you're going to buy a receiver, audtion speakers on a receiver, if you're going to buy separates, audtion speakers on separates in your price range.

Mark111867
12-30-2005, 06:16 AM
I agree with Woochifer's response. In my listening I just have not been satisfied with floorstanders in this price range new (outside of a couple kits). For $1K, I would recommend looking at the used market (maybe a 2K floorstander at 50% off, which is quite common), or consider some high quality mini-monitors.

I guess I would put it this way... At 1K you can get a pair of "good" floorstanders, or you can get a pair of "superb" mini-monitors.

---Dave

I agree with Dave & Woochifer. If I had $1000 to spend on speakers, I would probably consider a good pair of monitors over a floor stander. By the way, I auditioned my NAD C720BEE receiver with a pair of Linn Katans and they sounded awesome. If I had the means, I believe that they would have come home with me:)

accastil
03-03-2006, 03:15 AM
I agree with Dave & Woochifer. If I had $1000 to spend on speakers, I would probably consider a good pair of monitors over a floor stander. By the way, I auditioned my NAD C720BEE receiver with a pair of Linn Katans and they sounded awesome. If I had the means, I believe that they would have come home with me:)
nht, triangle and paradigm makes good monitor speakers for your budget

nightflier
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I second what others have said about the Axiom M80's. Amazing speaker for the price and the service at Axiom is also excellent. Here are some other online options that haven't been mentioned in that price range:

- The Ascend CMT-340se mini monitors with the TP-24 pedestal stands make an almost tower-like combination ($668 for the set)
- Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 ($1000)
- Onix Rocket RS550 MKII (the most attractive speaker in this lot @ $1000)
- Boston Acoustics VRM80 (under $1K)
- Phase Technology PC9.1 (under $1K)
- Infinity Beta 40 (about $700)
- Bose Wave Radio (...just kidding)

To name a few. But if you're willing to purchase used, the sky's the limit. I saw a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Pianos sell for under $1200 not too long ago. And speakers are probably the safest bet when buying used because they tend to survive a long time (over buying a CD player used, for example).

I've only heard different speakers from Ascend & Onix, so I can't vouch for any of these, but I can tell you that the service of these two is very good (although Axiom still tops the list in service, IMO).

As far as auditioning, see if you can borrow an old receiver or find one online for cheap. There is lots of Carver/Rotel/Adcom stuff on eBay that can still put most of today's new super-featured-techno-wiz stuff to shame. Keep the shipping box, and when you're done with it, you can just resell it, maybe even at a profit (unless of course you decide to keep it).

Finally, forget about wasting money on fancy cables. It has been my experience (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this) that cables are the least audible "upgrade" you can make within the budget range you are considering. I've tested IC's & speaker cables with all kinds of gear and while there is a very slight difference in sound, I relegate that to the listener's taste rather than some supposed or expected superiority just because it costs 10x as much. Stick with smaller companies like Dayton, Blue Jeans, Heartland, Outlaw, or buy the least expensive from the megabuck names out there, but don't get caught up in the $500 IC upgrade game, it's a huge rip-off.

funnyhat
03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I agree that a better bookshelf in the same price range could be a better option, but if you are set on a floorstander and don't mind used, audiogon usually has good deals on paradigm reference floorstanders

2chAlex
03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Good to see a mention of Phase Technology. Thought I might be the only one. Phase Tech has quite the history in speaker development. They have very good customer support and the warranty shows their belief in the product. The V-12 tower could be a consideration.

drseid
03-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Boy Nightflier, if you ever see any more GPHs sell for $1200/pr. used, please PM me. I would love a pair of those for my bedroom system. ;-) At that price they are an absolute steal IMO (wish it was me who was the buyer). I actually thought they were a pretty good value at full price before they were discontinued. Very nice value floorstanders, IMO.

---Dave

nightflier
03-03-2006, 08:07 PM
drseid,

Check out this post on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1144745173

If you can talk him down a couple hundred and then resell the center & monitors, you'd be pretty close.

Oops, never mind, he sold the monitors.

drseid
03-04-2006, 03:24 AM
drseid,

Check out this post on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1144745173

If you can talk him down a couple hundred and then resell the center & monitors, you'd be pretty close.

Oops, never mind, he sold the monitors.

Yeah, I have seen them go for about that price ($2100) for a while on AudioGon and while they are worth every penny, that would be a bit steep for me on a bedroom system. $1200/pr. though is another story. I would say most sellers are keeping pretty firm on a $2100-$2300 price for them currently. That guy selling them for $1200 must have been deperate for a super-quick sale. :-(

Thanks for the info anyway...

---Dave