Tuesday Disorder! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Disorder!

Davey
12-27-2005, 12:35 PM
I've got the spirit, lose the feeling, let it out somehow.

Wow, what a song! Is "Disorder" one of the classics? Ya know, with some people Joy Division will always have that air of desolation and suicide hanging over them, but some of those songs were just great rock and roll, no extra baggage, no piercings or suicide pacts or any of that required. Just concise and timeless expressions of the human spirit. Over kickass rhythms. It's kind of a shame that none of their many legions of followers have really managed to capture that part of their sound completely. Not surprising though. They were pretty special.

Anyway, for some reason I've really been listening to a lot of dark and dreary stuff this past week. But by now most of you know that it doesn't really seem all that dark and dreary to me, it's just what I like :)

Just spun the Black Heart Procession Amore del Tropico and realized how much that one has become part of my life. What a great album. I only recently picked up their next recording in the excellent In The Fishtank with Solbakken and you can really hear the continuation of some of the ideas they were exploring on Amore. Probably my favorite active band, although I don't know quite how active they are right now since I think there's been some expanding family issues and the pending Three Mile Pilot reunion and stuff like that. Sure hope that BHP puts out more music. Pall Jenkins (and the rest of the guys too) has really developed a voice and personna that I like.

Spun some other old but not too old favorites like that great Wheat Hope and Adams from a few years ago that has grow into a big favorite. Also broke out some Twilight Singers from about that same time. What a nice listen. One of Tricky Ricky's faves too. Arto Lindsay Noon Chill got a listen or two, as did Kate Bush Hounds of Love and some Electrelane and Sloshy's 2004 year end compilation and a new one courtesy of tentoze by Marissa Nadler that's really nice, if a trifle indistintive at times over the course of the whole CD. Wow, lots more too. Been a great listening week! Spun that fantastic 80s comp that Whooptee cooked up and it does cook. Love it. And made a post about my love of the last Nick Cave double CD.

But Joy Division today. Lots of Joy Division. Got the Heart and Soul box out and so might be a while before anything else invades my brain. No problem with that.

What have you been spinning lately? Probably got some Christmas goodies in rotation?

-Jar-
12-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I really love Joy Division. I hope to one day get the box set. Though I wish more that I'd procured a copy of CLOSER in vinyl when I had the chance. I have this weird cd with a baby on the front w/ grey border called WARSAW. Very very rough early recordings of Joy Division, I don't know how many of those are on HEART AND SOUL but they're a trip to listen to.

This thing: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47216DE4BA87220C990304BDB9464F705CA4E FB8050234558C0BB106BA9082EE269E9D8CFAEF872AB7BAFFF 2BE85F05D0CBE456F9CC0640&sql=10:8d9sa9rgl23u

Anyway, hard to imagine that band was the same one that recorded "Atmosphere" let alone, 3/4's went onto do songs like "Sub-culture" and "Shellshock" heheh.

Dang I didn't listen to much this past week. Driving around listening to comps mostly.

Made this one last week or so.. kind of a downer but that's been my December.

Runoff (12/21/05)

01 Guided by Voices - The Enemy (Isolation Drills)
02 Flaming Lips - Rainin' Babies (In a Priest Driven Ambulance)
03 Bob Mould - Paralyzed (Body of Song)
04 Appleseed Cast - Forever Longing the Golden Sunsets (Mare Vitalis)
05 Doves - Here It Comes (Lost Souls)
06 Muse - Sing for Absolution (Absolution)
07 Lusk - Gold (Free Mars)
08 Stephen Malkmus - Trojan Curfew (Stephen Malkmus)
09 Built to Spill - The Weather (Ancient Melodies of the Future)
10 Galaxie 500 - Don't Let Our Youth Go to Waste (Today)
11 Dead Can Dance - Advent (Spleen and Ideal)
12 A.R. Kane - The Sun Falls into the Sea (Sixty Nine)
13 Slowdive - Altogether (Souvlaki)
14 Cocteau Twins - Half-gifts (Twinlights)
15 Snow Patrol - Run (Final Straw)
16 The Notwist - Consequence (Neon Golden)

Davey
12-27-2005, 05:00 PM
I really love Joy Division. I hope to one day get the box set. Though I wish more that I'd procured a copy of CLOSER in vinyl when I had the chance. I have this weird cd with a baby on the front w/ grey border called WARSAW. Very very rough early recordings of Joy Division, I don't know how many of those are on HEART AND SOUL but they're a trip to listen to.

This thing: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47216DE4BA87220C990304BDB9464F705CA4E FB8050234558C0BB106BA9082EE269E9D8CFAEF872AB7BAFFF 2BE85F05D0CBE456F9CC0640&sql=10:8d9sa9rgl23u

Anyway, hard to imagine that band was the same one that recorded "Atmosphere" let alone, 3/4's went onto do songs like "Sub-culture" and "Shellshock" heheh.

Nice looking comp. I think all the early RCA demo stuff is in the box. I never had a copy of what was gonna be the first album so it was a new experience for me and kind of enjoyable, but still not something you'd listen to over and over. I guess if I had heard all the boots before it wouldn't have had the attraction for me, but still nice to have it all together and in roughly the right chronology too, especially wih the Substance and Still stuff and all the odds and ends in the right places. Nice book too, although as some have pointed out, it does leave out all the album artwork which is kind of strange. Nice package and picked it up for a pretty cool deal online last year with a coupon too. But like most boxes, it's tough to store in a CD rack :)

I've got a couple vinyl copies of Closer. Probably still available new. Factory reissued it in the 90s and I bought a copy just to check it out and it sounded very digital. Waste of $10 or however much it was, but it was cheap. The original US vinyl sounds great. The bass is really solid compared to the rather anemic CD, although the box remaster improves it. Probably not that hard to find. Maybe I'll send you a copy of some of the box. Were you a good boy this year?

;)

-Jar-
12-27-2005, 05:28 PM
My first JD was SUBSTANCE. So, even from the first song on there "Warsaw" through "Atmosphere" there was quite an evolution. I was amazed that it all happened in the course of 4 years. I remember looking at the album cover of UNKNOWN PLEASURES in this record store in Dayton and being kind of intrigued, I don't remember what year it was, sometime around 1985, but I probably bought some Black Flag instead, which was better than some of the things I was buying back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to put down that damn Night Ranger album and buy some Clash! :)

ps yes I was a good boy.

3-LockBox
12-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to put down that damn Night Ranger album and buy some Clash! :).

Somewhere there is a full tape case, with my name on it that was lost in a 'move', that I personally hope never sees the light of day again :rolleyes: (think RATT)

3-LockBox
12-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Not a whole lot of listening time, but some new stuff nontheless:

Rush:Vapor Trails - the material; better than a lot of people gave it credit for...the sound quality; worse than I expected. I've read where others had panned this album based on its sonics alone and thougth to myself, "this must be the thing-to-say" about this album. But the mix on this is spine-tinglingly bad, and its quite a shame since the material is the best I'd heard in yearsfrom these guys and I really appreciate this band's return to the aggressive sound of their youth, sans sequencers and synths. But I can't believe these guys ok'd the final product's sound. I wished there was an EQ scheme that could counteract some of the harsh 'brick-wall' limiting going on here.

Riverside:Out Of Myself - touted as a great prog rock album_its not very proggy_but it is good. It's compared to; according to the accompanying sticker: Pink Floyd (what isn't?) King Crimson (meh) Opeth (umm...no) and even Porcupine Tree (recent), but no mention of A Perfect Circle, which this could easily be the follow-up to the Thirteenth Step. Or even a case could be made for Pain Of Salvation as a viable influence. All in all, its a good listen, and a good get.

Been listening to a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra, and I like it a lot; I'll be remiss to wait a full year to listen to it again. (Thanx FA!)

Also a couple of Kyuss albums from about ten years ago, which were very retro for them times, mimicking the best parts of '70s rock with a '90s edge. (Thanx again FA)

Death Cab For Cutie: Transatlantism and Plans - feh - not exactly the bouncy, bubbly music you'd expect to come from Bellingham, WA...yeah...right... Too ballad heavy for me, but if you're into that sorrow-as-art or exquisite-agony mode, these guys will take the edge off an overly bright, sunny day. (thanx FA, though not my cup-o-tea)

Stone
12-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Now I have this running through my head:

Now, what do you own the world?
how do you own disorder, disorder
Now somewhere between the sacred silence
Sacred silence and sleep
somewhere between the sacred silence and sleep
disorder, disorder, disorder

Slosh
12-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Joy Division sucks ass.