Any good DVD-Audio discs out there???????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any good DVD-Audio discs out there????????

Gilligan
12-26-2005, 09:54 PM
My Audigy 2 ZS lets me play DVD-Audio discs, but i don't have any. Do you guys know where to get them? Any recommendations?

Jack in Wilmington
12-27-2005, 03:57 AM
My Audigy 2 ZS lets me play DVD-Audio discs, but i don't have any. Do you guys know where to get them? Any recommendations?

I have a small collection(30 or so). What types of music are you into?

BinFrog
12-27-2005, 05:24 AM
Yeah, tell us what you are into. I have maybe 25-30 DVD-A discs (and around 50-60 SACD). I can recommend some great titles, but it all depends on what you dig.

N. Abstentia
12-27-2005, 07:31 AM
I have a few, here's my write-up on them:

http://www.chuckamuck.com/music/dvda/

I need to update that with my newer ones...most noteably Deadwing by Porcupine Tree and Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. Both are great!

BinFrog
12-27-2005, 07:51 AM
N A: I heard "Rumors" was a severely flawed DVD-A mix. You think it sounds really good?

BinFrog
12-27-2005, 07:56 AM
I would recommend:

Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Trey Anastasio - Trey Anastasio (not the new one)
Bela Fleck - The Bluegrass Sessions: Acoustic Planet #2 (the sound quality is perfect)
Either of the Blue Man Group releases
Medeski Martin and Wood - Uninvisible
Talking Heads - Brick (yeah it's 8 discs, but the sound quality is absolutely phenomenal)
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Studio Voodoo - Studio Voodoo (if you can handle trance/loop beats/etc, this disc will freak you out in a good way. I'm not a fan of that style of music, but this disc is fun)

N. Abstentia
12-27-2005, 06:12 PM
N A: I heard "Rumors" was a severely flawed DVD-A mix. You think it sounds really good?

Yeah, I love it. I don't hear any problems with it and trust me..I'm picky. It certainly sounds better than a good many of the other DVD-A's I have.

luvs2jam60
12-27-2005, 10:04 PM
If you're into more modern, "top 10" or plain beats with bass, I would strongly recommend Linkin Park - Reanimation and Crystal Method - Legion of Boom. Because both of those are mostly computer-generated beats, remixes and sounds, the remixers of the DVD-A's really had fun with varying different sounds throughout your HT setup, as well as pumping out killer bass. They are 2 of my favorite demo DVD-A's.

luvs2jam60
12-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Also, I forgot to mention a couple: Blue Man Group - The Complex and anything by Santana. I think he has 2 DVD-A's out.

djreef
12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Whatever you do, don't get suckered by dualdisc. The sound quality on the 3 I have sux ass.

DJ

Gilligan
01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I like all kinds of music except rap.

I really like classic rock, some techno.

I would really like just something different for dvd-a. Something that would showcase it well. Maybe some ambient music, like rainforrest thunderstorm with lightning striking everywhere or something.

bobsticks
01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
If yu like classic rock/blues, Gary Moore's "Back to the Blues" is excellent.

Jack in Wilmington
01-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Doors - L.A. Woman

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours ( As mentioned above)

Queen - A Night At The Opera

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

Yes - Fragile

All very good, and even better in surround

kexodusc
01-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Anything by Widespread Panic if you're into blues/rock/jam stuff.
Crystal Method's "Legion of Boom" is great also...
Tons of classical music.