Ping: Mike Anderson [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ping: Mike Anderson

N. Abstentia
12-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Mike,

What kind of guitar amps are you using? Any speaker preference? I ordered 4 different Eminence speakers to test out today, along with the Celestions I already have. Have you done anything with Eminence speakers?

Mike Anderson
12-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Until recently, I had been using a Mesa/Boogie MkIV for years.

Awesome amp. It can do anything, the true Swiss-Army knife of guitar amps. The only downside is that it is extremely complex, and requires a great deal of experimentation until you dial in your sound. But once you do, you're golden.

I installed Sylvania NOS power tubes and Mullard NOS preamp tubes in it; these improved the sound immensely. For whatever reason, Mesa/Boogie ships their amps with junk Chinese tubes; very silly really, like shipping a Porsche with bald tires.

I sold it recently because I'm not in a band at the moment, and I don't plan to be soon. (Career obligations have largely sapped my spare time.)

I have also use the Mesa Dual Rectifier, another fine amp, but not nearly as versatile as the MkIV.

For a speaker cabinet, I used a Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Dual Rectifier Cabinet with Vintage Celestion 30 speakers. Tons of low-end, and that classic thick rock and roll crunch. Tough to beat sound-wise, but a huge beast of a thing; I'm lucky I never threw my back out lugging it around.

I haven't used Eminence speakers yet.

N. Abstentia
12-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Cool, I've always liked Mesa stuff.

Right now I'm using a Soldano Decatone through a 4x12 with Celestion G12M-70's. Two of the Eminence I ordered are the Swamp Thangs and Texas Heats which are designed to have tons of bottom end. I also ordered a Tonker which is similar to one of the Celestion models, not sure which one. Eminence makes a speaker called the Governor which is a clone of the Vintage 30.

I'm going to be installing 1 each of the 4 different speakers in my cabient then running a seperate wire for each one so I can plug/unplug quickly to try an A/B the different speakers. I'm looking forward to this little test :)

Mike Anderson
12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Right now I'm using a Soldano Decatone through a 4x12 with Celestion G12M-70's.

Yup, Soldano's good stuff too if you want a high-gain sound.

In fact it's next on my list of amps-to-get should I join a band sometime soon.

N. Abstentia
12-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Yeah check out the Decatone when you're shopping, it's Soldano's 3 channel amp. Channel 1 is clean (think Fender Twin) and Channel 3 is pure Soldano SLO high gain. Channel 2 can be dialed in like a classic Marshall or modern Mesa so this amp covers all the bases for me!

Swish
12-27-2005, 04:11 PM
and for acoustic it's a Fender Acoustasonic. The tubes in the Mesa are STR-420 6L6GCs. I don't have the simul class, which bothered me a bit, but a volume pedal solves that problem. I actually bought a Line 6 Pod XT Live so I can "pretend" I have a lot of other amps. It take a bit of work, but it really pays off when you get it down.

As for effects, one of the coolestt pieces I own is a Mutron III, which is an auto-wah pedal that was made in England. It was used by Stevie Wonder to record "Superstition" (think of how funky his keyboard sounded in that song), and he liked it so much that he allowed the company to use his image for free in their advertising. I paid about $250 for it a few years ago and a friend told me they're going for $750 or more on e-bay. They've been out of production for years, so the supply is limited, especially in good working condition. I sent my to a guy in CA (recommended by the inventor of it) to have it calibrated and to have a bypass modification done to it. He did a fabulous job and it works perfectly.

Here's the website of the inventor for anyone who wants to learn more.

http://www.mu-tron.org/

Swish

N. Abstentia
12-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Speaking of acoustic amps...I was thinking about upgrading that also. I'm currently using a Trace Elliot pre-amp into a Fender wedge monitor thingie which acutally sounds outstanding (I went through a few Trace amps and a Carvin before finding this setup) but I'd rather have it all in one little amp. I've had this setup for years.

Fender Acoustasonic eh? Have you compared this to the Marshall AS50R or the similar Laney acoustic amps?

Mike Anderson
12-27-2005, 07:03 PM
As for effects, one of the coolestt pieces I own is a Mutron III, which is an auto-wah pedal that was made in England. It was used by Stevie Wonder to record "Superstition" (think of how funky his keyboard sounded in that song), and he liked it so much that he allowed the company to use his image for free in their advertising.

I have something even rarer - the Mutron Flanger!

http://guitargeek.com/gearview/212/

Ever seen one of those? It's very cool; the sweep of the flange is controlled by a wah-like pedal. Very bizarre.

Swish
12-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Speaking of acoustic amps...I was thinking about upgrading that also. I'm currently using a Trace Elliot pre-amp into a Fender wedge monitor thingie which acutally sounds outstanding (I went through a few Trace amps and a Carvin before finding this setup) but I'd rather have it all in one little amp. I've had this setup for years.

Fender Acoustasonic eh? Have you compared this to the Marshall AS50R or the similar Laney acoustic amps?

I just heard so many rants about the Fender that I jumped on a used one when a local guy was selling. It has great tone and pairs very nicely with my Taylor. I have no issues with it, although I haven't played out with it at this point. Had a couple friends over to jam a bit and it worked out just fine.

Swish