Is it time for me to get a new receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for me to get a new receiver?

bjornb17
12-26-2005, 04:19 PM
As most of you probably know by now, I'm using Harman Kardon AVR130 to power my new set of Polk Monitors. Power never was an issue before when i had MTX speakers with 94db sensitivity, but these new Polk speakers are only rated at 90db efficiency. When listening to music and stuff, i can notice small amounts of noise and distortion (traces of distortion seem to be present when the beat of a bass drum) present when listening to music above about -17 db (already very loud). Im beginning to worry that my little receiver is running out of juice for these speakers. My tone controls are neutral, and im using a Velodyne CHT-12 crossed over at 60Hz.

What should I do to eliminate this? Should I....
1) leave it alone... its barely noticeable anyway...
2) Get a beefy receiver (HK AVR635 or 7300)...
3) Get a cheaper HK receiver with preouts and get amps for the fronts?

Any tips are welcomed :)

Geoffcin
12-26-2005, 04:32 PM
As most of you probably know by now, I'm using Harman Kardon AVR130 to power my new set of Polk Monitors. Power never was an issue before when i had MTX speakers with 94db sensitivity, but these new Polk speakers are only rated at 90db efficiency. When listening to music and stuff, i can notice small amounts of noise and distortion (traces of distortion seem to be present when the beat of a bass drum) present when listening to music above about -17 db (already very loud). Im beginning to worry that my little receiver is running out of juice for these speakers. My tone controls are neutral, and im using a Velodyne CHT-12 crossed over at 60Hz.

What should I do to eliminate this? Should I....
1) leave it alone... its barely noticeable anyway...
2) Get a beefy receiver (HK AVR635 or 7300)...
3) Get a cheaper HK receiver with preouts and get amps for the fronts?

Any tips are welcomed :)

Still, I find it hard to belive that your HK receiver would not drive the 90dB Polks to ear splitting levels easily. 90dB sensitivity is pretty high, and HK receivers are usually very conservative with the power ratings.

The only reason I would go with a better receiver is for the features. If your only playing stereo with it, then this is not a problem.

bjornb17
12-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Still, I find it hard to belive that your HK receiver would not drive the 90dB Polks to ear splitting levels easily. 90dB sensitivity is pretty high, and HK receivers are usually very conservative with the power ratings.

The only reason I would go with a better receiver is for the features. If your only playing stereo with it, then this is not a problem.

Here's what i just did and so far i like it....

using my tone controls, which were all neutral.... turned the bass from the 12 o'clock position (neutral) to about 9 o'clock and that seems to balanced out the bass (the montior 70s seemed to be slightly bloated in the bass) and now they sound even more balanced. All signs of distortion seem to have disappeared... now running at -5 db (therefore making me deaf) and it sounds just perfect. Im wondering whether if its the speakers or my receiver that is the limiting factor...

Geoffcin
12-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Here's what i just did and so far i like it....

using my tone controls, which were all neutral.... turned the bass from the 12 o'clock position (neutral) to about 9 o'clock and that seems to balanced out the bass (the montior 70s seemed to be slightly bloated in the bass) and now they sound even more balanced. All signs of distortion seem to have disappeared... now running at -5 db (therefore making me deaf) and it sounds just perfect. Im wondering whether if its the speakers or my receiver that is the limiting factor...

It's not unusual for even "good" speakers to develop 10% - 30% distortion when driven to concert levels. Most of the distortion is the result of the woofer. This would explain why turning down the bass, and letting your sub pick up the slack, makes for a cleaner sound.

bjornb17
12-26-2005, 05:57 PM
It's not unusual for even "good" speakers to develop 10% - 30% distortion when driven to concert levels. Most of the distortion is the result of the woofer. This would explain why turning down the bass, and letting your sub pick up the slack, makes for a cleaner sound.

Thanks a lot for the help :) Is it bad for the speakers to allow that little bit of distortion? I dont notice it when sitting back a few feet, but only if i put my head within a couple feet of a woofer.

Also, one more question.... I currently have my CD changer connected with analog jacks. I was wondering if i should connect it with coax instead, since i often listen in modes besides stereo and also use bass managment... so it would have to be reconverted to digital inside the receiver wouldnt it?

Geoffcin
12-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the help :) Is it bad for the speakers to allow that little bit of distortion? I dont notice it when sitting back a few feet, but only if i put my head within a couple feet of a woofer.

And goes unnoticed by most people. Some people actually PREFER the sound of distorted bass! During a recent test of mid-sized subs one reviewer liked one brand over a similar sized Velodyne, even though the "brand x" was distorting to the tune of 30%, and the Velodyne at less than 5%(non-servo). These distortion figures were taken at max volume, but it was quite obvious that "brand x" was playing loose with distortion and garnering praise because of it.

bjornb17
12-26-2005, 06:20 PM
And goes unnoticed by most people. Some people actually PREFER the sound of distorted bass! During a recent test of mid-sized subs one reviewer liked one brand over a similar sized Velodyne, even though the "brand x" was distorting to the tune of 30%, and the Velodyne at less than 5%(non-servo). These distortion figures were taken at max volume, but it was quite obvious that "brand x" was playing loose with distortion and garnering praise because of it.

The day i got my Velodyne CHT-12, it made all other subs i've ever heard irrelevant LOL. I still know there is much better out there that i'll get to try someday but I'm very happy with it, expecailly since i only paid a couple hundred bucks for it brand new from Circuit City.

I have a Polk PSW10... i'm not really sure i could consider it a subwoofer.... it's more like a mid-bass that I'm using to help my surrounds :)

brendy
12-31-2005, 05:31 AM
Maybe a little too much bass for the Polk's,which is why turning down the bass control helped.Did you try raising the x-over to 80hz on the receiver ?

bjornb17
12-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Maybe a little too much bass for the Polk's,which is why turning down the bass control helped.Did you try raising the x-over to 80hz on the receiver ?

This might sound silly, but actually it seems the the CDs i was trying were probably just recorded poorly because they distortoin is evident on any headphones or speakers i tried it on, while nicely-recorded music sounds just wonderful. I probably should have gone more in depth before i jumped to conclusions :)

anamorphic96
12-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Sounds like some room induced bass issues as well. Probably a combination of several factors.

But I agree. Your HK should have no issues with those speakers. Especially considering the crossover frequency.