Onkyo TX-SR603X vs. Yamaha RX-V657 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo TX-SR603X vs. Yamaha RX-V657

reschaff
12-26-2005, 07:05 AM
I'm looking @ moving to a new receiver and I think I'm narrowed down to the Onkyo TX-SR603X vs. Yamaha RX-V657. I currently have an RX-V670 which I've enjoyed, but I also really like my in-laws' TX-SR701. I'm having trouble finding editorial reviews on the Onkyo, but user reviews seem very positive. The Yammy gets good to raving reviews, but I wonder if I have efficient enough speaker to get the best out of it, based on some of what I've read. Speakers include Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 fronts, Yamaha NSAC3 center, and NSA770 rears (no sub yet, but I'll be looking as soon as I have a handle on this receiver thing). I'd really appreciate any input. I live in a rural area and there's no place around here to listen to them side by side (or at all for the Onkyo, except in the middle of a crowded Circuit City :( ). btw, can anyone shed some light on what Onkyo means when they say the TX-SR603X has "Enhanced IPOD Compatability"? I know they make an iPod dock, but that's supposed to work with any Onkyo from the last 10 years.

L.J.
12-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey Reschaff,

I'm curious, why do you want to move to a different AVR? What's wrong with your current one?

reschaff
12-27-2005, 03:47 AM
I watch a lot of DVDs on my system and thought I might benefit from a receiver that does digital formats.

Eric Z
12-27-2005, 06:05 AM
You can go wrong with either receiver. I don't know much about the Onkyo, but I have the 657 and love it! I also have last years model in my family room! I don't know enough about efficiency of speakers regarding your question if the receivers have enough power- Im sure they do, but that's just a guess.

Are you looking to buy online since there are not many stores around you? If that's the case, be sure it's an authorized dealer- this way the warranties are still intact. If you have any questions about the 657, let me know.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Eric

P.S. You should be able to get the 657 for about $410 and the Onkyo for about $400. Check out abtelectronics.com. They are a dealer in the Chicagoland area and they will give you the best price- their site lists the MSRPs, but give them a call- be prepared and check out stores and websites for the lowest authorized price. Fyi, I got my 657 for around $310 or $320 (can't exactly remember)- it was an open item at Abt. They had the open item listed for $399 and I just asked them what's the lowest price they would sell it for. They came back with $349 and then I asked if they can go any lower. You can even say you saw it at Best Buy for $439 (they had that sale a little while back). You can do the same with the Onkyo.

L.J.
12-27-2005, 07:28 AM
You can go wrong with either receiver.

Eric's right, you can go wrong with either one. ;) JK

The Yamaha has a full set of preouts, so you can easily add an external amp in the future. It also has a second set of front speaker outputs. I'd lean in that direction. Try both units out if possible though.

Have fun

Eric Z
12-27-2005, 07:36 AM
LJ- oops- see what contractions do to you, haha- nice catch.

Can't go wrong, can't go wrong, can't go wrong...I think I have it now. However, I guess you can go wrong, too.

GMichael
12-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Eric's right, you can go wrong with either one. ;) JK

The Yamaha has a full set of preouts, so you can easily add an external amp in the future. It also has a second set of front speaker outputs. I'd lean in that direction. Try both units out if possible though.

Have fun

L.J., When did you learn to fly?

L.J.
12-27-2005, 08:20 AM
L.J., When did you learn to fly?

One of the many great benefits to Pixie Snot. Not only does your system sound better, but if you inhale the fumes long enough..............you can fly.

But,......(most important part).......... you gotta BELIEVE!!!! :D

GMichael
12-27-2005, 08:43 AM
One of the many great benefits to Pixie Snot. Not only does your system sound better, but if you inhale the fumes long enough..............you can fly.

But,......(most important part).......... you gotta BELIEVE!!!! :D

Hmm, What will be my happy thought? I have so many to choose from.

Do I need the new gold snot or is the silver still good enough?

L.J.
12-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Do I need the new gold snot or is the silver still good enough?

The more expensive is always better, as long as you believe (cough...cough....they are both the same thing....cough......cough).

GMichael
12-27-2005, 09:38 AM
The more expensive is always better, as long as you believe (cough...cough....they are both the same thing....cough......cough).

OK, I'll mix up a new batch and spray paint it gold. Here kitty kitty kitty, here kitty kitty. Nice kitty.