Calling all you guitar nuts. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all you guitar nuts.

Swish
12-24-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking of shipping my beloved 1966 Gibson ES335 TD to the Gibson people in Nashville for a little restoration work. It's actually in pretty good shape, but a previous owner changed the pickups and altered the electronics, and I think it would be worth it to have it restored to its original configuration. The body is excellent with only very light checking, but the back of the neck should be stripped and have a new finish put on it. It appears to have bubbled up at some points and left a number of small craters on it, giving a funny feeling while you're playing it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with these people or with guitar restoration in general. They supposedly have a bunch of highly skilled luthiers working there, and their website shows pictures of several restorations and custom jobs they've done on guitars. I sentthem pictures of my Gibby along with my intentions, and am waiting to hear their ideas and, of course, the cost of the work. I checked some auctions on e-bay and the 60s models are going for some pretty big bucks, so I think it'll be worth sinking some cash into it. Here's a picture for anyone interested in seeing it.

Regards,
Swish

Mike Anderson
12-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I checked some auctions on e-bay and the 60s models are going for some pretty big bucks, so I think it'll be worth sinking some cash into it.

I wouldn't use this as a justification for restoring it to original condition; you may get your money back, but not much more.

Guitars like this go for the most when they haven't been modified at all. Once it's been modified, restoring it won't really bring back its original value (assuming you don't plan to misrepresent the guitar as all original).

Plus, if you really want to do it right, you're going to have to spring for the original PAF pickups, and those can cost a small fortune.

If you're restoring it for other-than-financial reasons, go for it. i can't say whether Gibson is the best way to do it, since I've never gone that way myself. If you life in a major urban area, chances are there's an excellent luthier somewhere nearby who could do it cheaper and better. Plus, you wouldn't have to risk shipping the guitar, which IS indeed risky.

Swish
12-25-2005, 04:25 AM
I wouldn't use this as a justification for restoring it to original condition; you may get your money back, but not much more.

Guitars like this go for the most when they haven't been modified at all. Once it's been modified, restoring it won't really bring back its original value (assuming you don't plan to misrepresent the guitar as all original).

Plus, if you really want to do it right, you're going to have to spring for the original PAF pickups, and those can cost a small fortune.

If you're restoring it for other-than-financial reasons, go for it. i can't say whether Gibson is the best way to do it, since I've never gone that way myself. If you life in a major urban area, chances are there's an excellent luthier somewhere nearby who could do it cheaper and better. Plus, you wouldn't have to risk shipping the guitar, which IS indeed risky.

Regardless, I won't dump money into something if it doesn't make sense. As for keeping the work local, I don't live in a major metro area, so my options are somewhat limited unless I head to Philly or something. As for it being done better, it just seems to me that if they work for the manufacturer, in this case Gibson, they would be better suited for the job than an independent, although I could be wrong. And perhaps they could get me those original pickups for a lot less than an indy luthier???

Regardless, thanks for your input and I'll update this thread when they finally give me their estimate and their advice.

Swish

dean_martin
12-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I've been to the Gibson factory in Memphis, but I'm not familiar with a plant in Nashville. However, Gruhn Guitars is in Nashville. These people publish the current authoritative guide to vintage guitars and have an excellent reputation. I would seek and consider their recommendation. Here's a link:

http://www.gruhn.com/

Mike Anderson
12-25-2005, 10:16 AM
As for it being done better, it just seems to me that if they work for the manufacturer, in this case Gibson, they would be better suited for the job than an independent, although I could be wrong.

I don't think there's any special/proprietary knowledge of the guitar that would be required; anything they can do, a good luthier could do.

And perhaps they could get me those original pickups for a lot less than an indy luthier???

Not if you're talking about real PAF's. Those things have a high market value; I can't imagine why Gibson would sell them to you at below-market (if they even have such a thing for sale). In fact you'd probably be a lot better off scrounging around yourself to see if you can get a good deal on a pair, whereas Gibson will be looking to make a profit.

Swish
12-25-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been to the Gibson factory in Memphis, but I'm not familiar with a plant in Nashville. However, Gruhn Guitars is in Nashville. These people publish the current authoritative guide to vintage guitars and have an excellent reputation. I would seek and consider their recommendation. Here's a link:

http://www.gruhn.com/

The home of Gibson electric guitars today is "Gibson USA," built in 1974 in Nashville specifically for the production of Gibson's Les Paul guitars. Although the entire guitar industry went through a slump in the late '70s, the spirit of innovation remained strong at Gibson. In response to a growing demand for vintage stylings, Gibson tapped its rich history and reissued the dot-neck version of the ES-335 in 1981 and the flametop sunburst Les Paul in 1982. At the same time, two legendary guitarists joined Gibson- B.B. King in 1980 with the Lucille model and Chet Atkins in 1982 with his new concept of a solidbody acoustic guitar.

Gibson world headquarters moved to Nashville in 1984 with the closing of the Kalamazoo plant. The financially troubled company was rescued in January 1986 by Henry Juszkiewicz and David Berryman, and the new owners quickly restored Gibson's reputation for quality as well as its profitability.

I will certainly check with the Gruhn company as well as it's always worth a second opinion, no matter what you're buying.

Thanks a heap.

Swish

dean_martin
12-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey, Swish - I wouldn't think you could go wrong with getting the manuf. to do the work. Now that you mention it, I recall a friend saying that he went to Gibson in Nashville (it's Christmas so I didn't double check before I posted). Anyhow, I still think that Gruhn could appraise your guitar with and without the work better than Gibson. IMO, restoring to original electronics would be a good idea for both market value and tone. Refinishing is a trickier proposition based on my limited knowledge of vintage guitars. (I had a friend who owned a vintage guitar shop in the early 90s' and I used to keep up with the vintage guitar market. I was more interested in Fender at the time, but my buddy who owned the shop was a vintage Gibson man - acoustic and electric.)

Anyhow, that's a nice axe! Good luck with whatever you do.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dusty Chalk
12-25-2005, 05:38 PM
http://www.axesrus.com/axehardware_files/locknut3.jpeg

Mike Anderson
12-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Refinishing is a trickier proposition based on my limited knowledge of vintage guitars.

If the guitar still has the original finish, you do NOT want to refinish it, assuming you want it to retain its monetary value as a vintange instrument.

Swish
12-26-2005, 08:26 AM
If the guitar still has the original finish, you do NOT want to refinish it, assuming you want it to retain its monetary value as a vintange instrument.

what do you do when you remove those two little switches? The holes have to be filled in and blended with the rest of it. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get advice from Gibson and Gruhn and see what they recommend. While your advice is noted, keep in mind that it's already been altered so it's monetary value has already been compromised. I think it would be better to restore it to its original condition, or as close as I can get.

I used to have an Anniversary edition Les Paul that was quite nice, except a previous owner messed it up by adding a Kehler (spelling) tremolo on it. I bought it along with an Ovation acoustic that I didn't like, a Peavey amp that was just so-so, and a few other items that were thrown in, all for $600. I sold each guitar for $400, then the amp, a mic and stand for another $250, so it was a money-making think. Why would anyone screw with an otherwise nice guitar? Who knows, but I wasn't going to hold onto it.

Thanks again for your input,
Swish