New DLP tv purchase [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New DLP tv purchase

indy597
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this question. I am looking to upgrade my HT setup to High Def. I'm just starting to look at local shops at my tv options. The cost/performance of DLP is certainly appealing. Would any of you folks care to point me in the direction of a specific DLP tv that performs well and people are generally pleased with? I'm looking at a 50" with HD coming from DirecTV and OTA locals.

Thanks!

-John

learner
12-24-2005, 02:01 PM
My Dad has a 72" Toshiba DLP and I think it has an awesome picture. If I were going to buy one it would be a Toshiba. My Dad's last T.V. was 55" Toshiba and he had it for 11 years and now my brothers family has it and it still looks great. I recently purchasrd an Hitachi but only as a budget purchase. From my families experience I would suggest looking at the Toshiba's.

JMO

Benihana
12-25-2005, 12:21 PM
You do realize that DLP rear projection tv's need their bulbs replaced just as often as a front projection?? See how much the bulbs are before buying the tv set.

Hairsonfire
12-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this question. I am looking to upgrade my HT setup to High Def. I'm just starting to look at local shops at my tv options. The cost/performance of DLP is certainly appealing. Would any of you folks care to point me in the direction of a specific DLP tv that performs well and people are generally pleased with? I'm looking at a 50" with HD coming from DirecTV and OTA locals.

Thanks!

-John
Hey John, I recently purchased the LG 62 inch DLP and overall I am quite pleased with it. LG gives a two year warranty, which is better than most of the major manufacturers. I think their website is lgusa.com

Sin City Dave
12-26-2005, 07:16 PM
I looked at most all DLP TVs that were 50 to 52 inches. I decided to go with the new Sony XRB LCoS set. I thought it had the best overall picture by a noticeable margin. I think I spent a couple hundred dollars more than a comparable DLP. There are two disadvantages - both cosmetic: It's wide. It has these side wing speakers that add quite a bit of width to the set and aren't necessarily good looking. It's also a little top and front heavy if you don't use Sony's stand. I solved this by attaching a bracket at the bottom of my entertainment center and a nylon strap with a ratchet that fits through the loop in the back of the TV.

My second favorite, was the new Mitsubishi 1080i sets (628 series?) very clear and detailed picture. Just not as smooth or "deep" looking as the Sony.

Good Luck,

Dave

Eric Z
12-27-2005, 06:08 AM
How often do the bulbs need to be replaced? Benihana wrote, "Just as often as front projection." How frequent is that? Does anyone know the approximate cost? Just wondering.

Thanks.

bjornb17
12-27-2005, 06:34 AM
if its the same as front projection, it would be between 2000 and 4000 hours with a cost of about $300. Chances are that will be atleast a couple years unless you watch TV all day long.