Human Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Human Speakers

wabuskey
12-24-2005, 05:45 AM
I recently received the Human 81 speakers that I had ordered from Huw Powell of Human Speakers and I just wanted to let you all know just how pleased I am with them. This is just the third pair of speakers I've owned in my life, since buying my first good stereo in 1975. My first pair were Genesis IIs that were simply wonderful but were sadly stolen in 1980 and they were replaced with a pair of EPI 100T/E. I enjoyed these speakers for 25 years before they gave up the ghost this year. I discovered the Human Speakers website in searching for used Genesis speakers and when I learned that it was owned and operated by a fellow who worked for Genesis and who used Genesis and EPI speakers as a source of inspiration, I knew I had to order a pair of their 81s (eight inch woofer and one inch tweeter) which I thought would replace my EPI 100s nicely.

Boy am I glad I did. These speakers exceed my high expectations and are better then the EPIs they replaced. I listen to mostly acoustic, jazz, and classic rock music. These Human speakers handle the mid-range wonderfully and the tweeter sounds as sweet as I remember my old Genesis IIs sounding. The bass is plenty deep for what I listen to and I no longer need a speaker that will shake the floors or send the neighbors running for cover. Mine are strickly used in a 2 channel stereo set-up for listening to music not as a part of a 6 speaker home theater set-up.

For anyone looking for some wonderful and attractive bookcase speakers, that sound truly awesome, hand-made by one guy in a small shop who actually listens to them before shipping them out and if you are willing to wait for them (mine were on order for 5 months) then please give these speakers a try, But you have to be brave enough and trusting enough to buy them unheard cause you won't find them at Circuit City. They are a bargain at $350 for a non-mass produced speaker and if you call his shop you will talk to Huw and not a receptionist. Do a search for Human Speakers and check out his site.

Geoffcin
12-24-2005, 07:06 AM
I recently received the Human 81 speakers that I had ordered from Huw Powell of Human Speakers and I just wanted to let you all know just how pleased I am with them. This is just the third pair of speakers I've owned in my life, since buying my first good stereo in 1975. My first pair were Genesis IIs that were simply wonderful but were sadly stolen in 1980 and they were replaced with a pair of EPI 100T/E. I enjoyed these speakers for 25 years before they gave up the ghost this year. I discovered the Human Speakers website in searching for used Genesis speakers and when I learned that it was owned and operated by a fellow who worked for Genesis and who used Genesis and EPI speakers as a source of inspiration, I knew I had to order a pair of their 81s (eight inch woofer and one inch tweeter) which I thought would replace my EPI 100s nicely.

Human speakers have been discussed here before. Do a search for Human Speakers and you should get several hits. A few of the members still run EPI speakers, Worf & myself for two.

wabuskey
12-24-2005, 08:33 AM
I tried a search. Most of it came up with human and plenty with speakers highlighted but I didn't see any for "human speakers." About how long ago were these threads? What was the general concensus on these speakers (if there was a concensus)? I'll keep looking.

GMichael
12-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Human speakers? Scarry thought. But thanks for the conection to Genisis. I had built a pair of speakers from Genisis replacement components back in the late 70's. When I tried to replace the rotted 8" drives I ended up at a dead end and went another way. It didn't make me happy.

Thanks again,

Have a very merry Christmas.....

wabuskey
12-24-2005, 10:29 AM
G,

Unfortunately, I didn't have my Genesis speakers long enough to deal with the surround rot. I hear that the green foam they used was not noted for lasting. Huw's business started out as a repair facility for Genesis speakers. He used to make a speaker that was configured like the Genny IIs, with the passive radiator. I probably would have bought that model if he still made it. But actually the smaller cabinets look better on our oak shelf unit, and that's important to my wife.

The current Human speakers use Butyl rubber surrounds and so should last much longer. I wouldn't be disappointed if these lasted me 30 years. I see you live in Newburgh. I'm in Pine Bush.

GMichael
12-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Bush country huh? How 'bout that?

Yeah, the green got ugly. I'll have to check out the humans.

Have a great, mery Christmas.

Florian
12-25-2005, 03:45 AM
My first pair were Genesis IIs that were simply wonderful but were sadly stolen in 1980 and they were If i may play the devils advocate here but it is extremely unlikely that someone bought a Genesis II and got them stolen. Considering its 4 towers which are impossible to carry with 2 people and run for over 20K used even today. I dont mind a little advertising here or there but please make it sound at least somewhat like its the truth.

Anyway merry christmas and enjoy your speakers.

PS: If you do not mean the Genesis II designed by Arnie Noodle then i apologize :-)

wabuskey
12-25-2005, 05:09 AM
>>PS: If you do not mean the Genesis II designed by Arnie Noodle then i apologize :-)<<

And so you should. I'm not advertising a thing. Just the gushings of a happy customer. The Genesis IIs of which I speak were produced by the Genesis Physics Corp from the mid to late 70s. They had an 8" woofer, 1" tweeter and a 10" passive radiator.

And if I was ever to spend 20K on speakers, they had better come with 4 wheels, and an engine.

Florian
12-25-2005, 06:40 AM
>>PS: If you do not mean the Genesis II designed by Arnie Noodle then i apologize :-)<<

And so you should. I'm not advertising a thing. Just the gushings of a happy customer. The Genesis IIs of which I speak were produced by the Genesis Physics Corp from the mid to late 70s. They had an 8" woofer, 1" tweeter and a 10" passive radiator.

And if I was ever to spend 20K on speakers, they had better come with 4 wheels, and an engine.
I apologize, i thought you wrote about the Genesis II speaker. One of the finest ever made.

Anyway, have fun with yours. They do have the same name, but thats all.

:-)

Flo

Worf101
12-26-2005, 11:45 AM
I've about 4 pairs of EPI/Epicure speakers and HS is invaluable for replacement speakers and crossovers. Not the fastest outfit shipping wise but if you want to find out what your vintage speaker has in it and how to repair it... they're top shelf.

Worf101

JohnMichael
12-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I just visited the Human Speakers website and looked at the 81 speaker. It was a walk down memory lane. I am tempted to own a modern classic. When I bought my first component stereo the speakers were the Smaller Advents but it was a choice between them and the Genesis and EPI with the 8 inch woofer and the inverted dome tweeter.

wabuskey
12-31-2005, 03:34 PM
I just noticed that there is a pair of 81s for sale on ebay. No 5 month wait. So if you've been thinking about a pair, check it out.

GMichael
12-31-2005, 03:57 PM
I just noticed that there is a pair of 81s for sale on ebay. No 5 month wait. So if you've been thinking about a pair, check it out.

Hey, How's the snow over there?

wabuskey
12-31-2005, 09:45 PM
It's been snowing lightly but steadily for most of the day. Have maybe 3 inches on the ground. Looks beautiful in the country though.

Only a day left to go on those Human Speakers. The starting bid is 260 but that saves $90 on a year old speaker in mint condition. If I didn't already have mine, I'd jump on these.

gruss72
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
wow its nice to hear I'm not the only one still listening to these
I have a pair of genesis 66's and some of Huw's (human) 81-10's as surrounds and have enjoyed them for a looong time.
also have a pair Epicure 2.0's that don't get used as much as they should but still enjoy listening to them

caniac
01-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Human speakers? Scarry thought.

Seriously.

I don't even want to know where you'd put the banana plug.

:D

JohnMichael
01-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Seriously.

One man's pain is another man's pleasure.

GMichael
01-03-2006, 08:54 AM
One man's pain is another man's pleasure.

Oh, forget I asked.

Batter up!

GMichael
01-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Seriously.

I'd put banana ketchup on it and eat it. What else would someone do?

Eric Z
01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Human speakers? If I make a donation to the Human fund, does that help the R&D department on the speakers?

Happy Festivus, everyone!

JohnMichael
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh, forget I asked.

Batter up!

You know you do not have to ask, I volunteer information freely.

pelly3s
01-03-2006, 07:45 PM
ok this post got a little weird now didnt it lol

I havent gotten to hear a pair of Humans but I have worked on a lot of Genisis and EPI speakers and they are some of my favorites for that era of speaker

joe2m
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Genesis Physic speakers are excellent and can be found on E-bay. You may need to re-foam the woofers but it is an easy thing to do. I know it has been 6 years since your post Flo, but I was taken aback with your pompous attitude. Not everyone can afford the speakers you were referring to and these speakers will more then satisfy many readers here. If you have the time, you can mod these speakers for bi-wiring and do some bracing as described on the Human speaker site and you will be hard pressed to find speakers remotely as good unless you spend a very significant amount money.