What LP's you own have hidden messages or other "easter eggs"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What LP's you own have hidden messages or other "easter eggs"?

Kaboom
12-24-2005, 12:16 AM
the thread about ZZ top's Eliminator lp made me think that also Sgt. peppers has a message in the final groove.
so what other records have this kind of thing, or messages you have to play backwards in order to hear them and stuff, or hidden references in the covers or anything of this sort?
cheers!

dean_martin
12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Does a "lock groove" count? Is that the type of thing that was on the end of the Eliminator LP where oh mercy is repeated? I have a Sonic Youth LP with a lock groove at the end of one side. I'm not sure how it works other than the needle tracks the same groove or grooves over and over without advancing thus repeating whatever information is there.

Resident Loser
12-30-2005, 08:53 AM
...I thumb through my collection and run across Bill Wyman's "Monkey Grip Glue"...The secret message "...What were you thinking?..."

Actually, my wife(being a Stones fan from wayback) is the culprit...one of her other choices, "Get The Knack" has a similar clandestine missive...

jimHJJ(...I'm responsible for "Kansas" and Grand Funk Railroad...)

Resident Loser
12-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Does a "lock groove" count? Is that the type of thing that was on the end of the Eliminator LP where oh mercy is repeated? I have a Sonic Youth LP with a lock groove at the end of one side. I'm not sure how it works other than the needle tracks the same groove or grooves over and over without advancing thus repeating whatever information is there.

...no runout, just an endless loop...of course the downside is, if you have any sort of an auto TT it won't never stop...

jimHJJ(...oh mercy...oh mercy...oh mercy...oh mercy...yep, @33.3 RPM that's about the right cadence for a groove with that diameter...)

DaHaq
12-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I have Monty Python's "Matching Tie and Handkerchief", which contains three seperate grooves on one side. It'll play something different depending on where the needle happens to fall at the start. Pretty awesome

Woochifer
12-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I remember Lindsay Buckingham's Go Insane LP had a tricked end groove that kept repeating over and over. Pink Floyd's The Wall is also a looped link from the end of Side 4 to the start of Side 1. Other interesting things to look out for are messages written into the end of an LP side alongside the catalog number, side ID, and stamper number. Peter Wolf's Lights Out LP had several messages scrawled out, and some hard rock LPs had stuff written at the end telling the listener to crank it up.

Subliminal messages have been debated ad nauseum over the years. Several years ago, religious programs were talking about this as some global conspiracy to turn kids into devil worshippers. They would play "Stairway to Heaven" and those aforementioned Beatles songs backwards as evidence. The only clearcut "backwards masking" message that I heard with an overtly satanic message was some track from Black Oak Arkansas' Raunch and Roll live album, and that seemed more tongue in cheek when played in context.

SlumpBuster
12-30-2005, 09:37 PM
What about records that play from the center to the outer edge? I've got a 90's Detroit techno disc that does that. It is very tough to play from the begining with an auto deck since the beginning is the end.

Also, I have a Primal Scream LP from 93 that has writing scratched into the end space before the label. I have to go find it, because I can't remember what it said.

DaHaq
12-30-2005, 11:14 PM
I was browsing the vinyl at tower records the other day and found some electronica disc (I can't remember the name) that boasted that one side of it was a manually carved groove etched by the artist, and could be played, but would destroy your needle. "play at your own risk" I also own an Alice In Chains record (the SAP EP) where one side is simply an etching of the band logo. Very cool, but obviouly can't be played

Woochifer
12-30-2005, 11:23 PM
I was browsing the vinyl at tower records the other day and found some electronica disc (I can't remember the name) that boasted that one side of it was a manually carved groove etched by the artist, and could be played, but would destroy your needle. "play at your own risk" I also own an Alice In Chains record (the SAP EP) where one side is simply an etching of the band logo. Very cool, but obviouly can't be played

I wonder why these can't be played? There were several albums in the early-80s that were laser-etched. It created a contrasting rainbow-like reflection, but was every bit as playable as a normal LP. The True Colours album from Split Enz and the Superman II soundtrack had really cool designs etched onto the vinyl.

dean_martin
12-31-2005, 07:07 AM
I must have been in the 7th or 8th grade when I got the Styx album Paradise Theater. It had 2 things going for it. One track allegedly contained backward masking and one side of the album had some artwork sketched on it. The music itself, however, is another story.

Woochifer
12-31-2005, 11:34 AM
I must have been in the 7th or 8th grade when I got the Styx album Paradise Theater. It had 2 things going for it. One track allegedly contained backward masking and one side of the album had some artwork sketched on it. The music itself, however, is another story.

That's right! That Styx album had the cover artwork with that theater marquee etched onto the album. Looked incredible and it was perfectly playable (whether or not the music was listenable is an entirely different discussion!).

DaHaq
12-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Wow, I just looked at pictures of those Split Enz and Styx laser etchings, probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while. The Alice In Chains etching I have isn't like that; its just the logo scratched into the vinyl, like with an exacto knife, and there is no musical groove on the side at all.

dean_martin
12-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) solo album called Psychic Hearts that has artwork etched on side 4 which isn't playable. It looks kinda like your description of the Alice in Chains album.

Jimmy C
01-05-2006, 03:26 PM
... "turn me on, dead man" was "Number Nine" in reverse. I don't want to do it to my poor 'ole Grado now, but I can remember trying this at the time. Err... well, 10 or so years after the LP was issued :^)

Yeah, all those "Paul is dead" clues were quite interesting!

Wonder why the remaining Beatles didn't go along with it... hhmmmm...

And gee, thanx... you reminded me I need a new cart soon :^(

thepogue
01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
and in fact I think the covers come in 4 colors...I think I have all four but only two are etched....great LP just the same! Pogue

I wonder why these can't be played? There were several albums in the early-80s that were laser-etched. It created a contrasting rainbow-like reflection, but was every bit as playable as a normal LP. The True Colours album from Split Enz and the Superman II soundtrack had really cool designs etched onto the vinyl.

dean_martin
01-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Found another one of these tonight. Modest Mouse's The Moon & Anarctica is a double album. The last track on side one - Perfect Disguise - has a lock groove at the end. I was sitting here at the compooter and heard this short passage over and over. My first thought was OH $HIT, this brand new record is messed up!