On order... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : On order...

3-LockBox
12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I placed an order at BestBuy.com for Spock's Beard:Octane and Riverside:Out Of Myself. The Riverside gets good ink and I liked what I heard on the samples.

I also placed orders at ProgRock Records for the following:

Salem Hill:Be - this thing gets great ink and I like the samples I've heard, and they're homies from Tennessee!
Cryptic Vision:Moments of Clarity - never heard of 'em, but again, the samples sounded good
Man On Fire:Undefined Design - the line up on this one sounds cool, and the
samples sure sound good, though the vocals may take some getting use to.

Thing is, Amazon sure has gotten expensive in the last few months. They want at least two dollars more for each CD I mentioned.

But this is it...no more CD buying for a while...this time I mean it!

Jim Clark
12-22-2005, 10:11 PM

Sure...good luck with that.

jc

Davey
12-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey, what a coincidence! I just stopped by cdbaby and ordered the new Voyager One. $10. Samples sound right up my groove, but being a big fan, they had me at hello. This is also it for me. No more. Year's over. Lights out. Fat lady is already starting to warm up for the big finale...

http://cdbaby.com/covers/v/o/voyagerone.jpg

http://www.copperpress.com/new/reviews/html/120905voyager.html
It's been three years since Voyager One's last disc, Monster Zero, and the end of that lengthy hiatus has not arrived without a few changes. For starters they've shifted from Seattle's Loveless Records to their own Tokyoidaho label. The band itself, while still retaining a sizeable touring line-up, has slimmed down (hence the album title) to its two co-founders, Peter Marchese and Jeramy Koepping. And the music has become somehow lighter, less impenetrably dense, without shedding the electronic intricacy and rich shoegazer textures through which the band has established a loyal, if, after six years and three full-lengths, still relatively modest, following.

The overall mood of Dissolver is different too. The dancelike groove of "Salvation" – it drives the terrific one-and-a-half minute intro to this four-minute song – sets things off like a firecracker. No breathy, lovelorn vocals here: Marchese is all rock and roll attitude, curled lip and unflappable cool. Later comes "The People's Candidate," another atypical attitude-heavy track, with a James Brown "break it down" drumbeat and a meaty bassline. "Satellite Eye" will bring listeners back into more familiar V1 territory with its bubbling electronics, metronomic fuzz and fade, and dreamy sci-fi material turned into romantic longing; but even here there's more wonder and hope than the gloom and self-pity that characterizes so much of the shoegazer catalogue and this band's earlier work. "The Good You Do Not Do" dispenses with the traditional verse-chorus-verse format and instead takes the form of a meditative call and response with help from vocalist Liz Green. Like "Endless Repeat," the instrumental "Floating Bridge," and many other tracks on Dissolver, the multiple layers of melodies and effects of "The Good You Do Not Do" are so all-enveloping that one's sense of time becomes blurred. Four- and five-minute running times often seem either half or double that.

For fans of Voyager One, this is another strong album by the band (arguably the strongest) to add to your collection; for newcomers, this is the one to start with. – Eric J. Iannelli (2005, The Daily Copper)

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2005, 06:19 AM
I placed an order at BestBuy.com for Spock's Beard:Octane and Riverside:Out Of Myself. The Riverside gets good ink and I liked what I heard on the samples.

I also placed orders at ProgRock Records for the following:

Salem Hill:Be - this thing gets great ink and I like the samples I've heard, and they're homies from Tennessee!
Cryptic Vision:Moments of Clarity - never heard of 'em, but again, the samples sounded good
Man On Fire:Undefined Design - the line up on this one sounds cool, and the
samples sure sound good, though the vocals may take some getting use to.

Thing is, Amazon sure has gotten expensive in the last few months. They want at least two dollars more for each CD I mentioned.

I really like that Cryptic Vision disk. I've had it for a couple of years now. In fact, mine is from the original pressing which has wording on it along the lines of "not for resale"!! Needless to say that ProgRock resold it. But I complained to Shawn Gordon and he responded back with a reasonable explanation...and the music was just so good...that I forgave him. :D

You'll find it sounds a lot like, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Rush, Spock's Beard and many others in places. It's like these guys could have been a great cover band for any of the great 70's prog acts, but instead chose to go their own way. The influences are a little too obvious in places, but a great CD nonetheless. Apparently, they're in the studio working on their second disk, which I'm really looking forward to.

Let me know what you think of the Riverside and Salem Hill. Those are two bands that I've been meaning to look at in more detail, just never seem to find the time to get around to them. I need to find more listening time. I haven't even had a chance to listen to the basket of goodies that you recently sent me. I'm hoping that a few days off for the holidays will find me some musical moments.

Have you heard IZZ? I Move is an outstanding CD and one that you should check out if you haven't already.

P.S. Have you received the stuff I sent you yet? I sent it about two weeks ago, I think.

P.P.S. I'm listening to Moments of Clarity right now. Damn it's good. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been listening to much prog lately, but maybe I need to get back into that genre a bit. This disk is a good refresher of how much I love it.

Slosh
12-23-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm gonna have to order Spoon's Telephono soon. I can't believe after all these years I still haven't been able to find it locally and the mp3s just aren't cutting it (especially since Spoon have such good sonics on all of their other albums).

I've been in kind of a twangy mood lately so maybe I'll get me some back-catalog Calexico and Giant Sand while I'm at it.

Dusty Chalk
12-24-2005, 12:55 AM
I have that Riverside -- I dig it.

I need to put that Voyager One on my list -- didn't even realize it was out.