Dual Subwoofers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dual Subwoofers?

jmohler6
12-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Im thinking of adding a second subwoofer to my home theater set up.
I only have one subwoofer out.
OK to use a Y adapter and run both subs off the singkle sub out?
Or am I better off using L/R Preamp outs and adjusting the hogh filter control?
Must the subs be an exact match?
Thanks in advance.
John

robert393
12-23-2005, 04:21 AM
Im thinking of adding a second subwoofer to my home theater set up.
I only have one subwoofer out.
OK to use a Y adapter and run both subs off the singkle sub out?
Or am I better off using L/R Preamp outs and adjusting the hogh filter control?
Must the subs be an exact match?
Thanks in advance.
John

Just use a Y adaptor, and matching the subs will provide the best effect.

Robert

champ
12-23-2005, 05:22 AM
you can buy a sub which has an input plus an output. The output can be connected to your existing sub.

JES14
12-23-2005, 05:56 AM
I use a Y adaptor out from the reciever to the subs and a Y to the sub inputs, sounds great to me. My subs are not an exact match either but with the volume boosted on the less powerful sub I can't tell the difference.

gixxerific
12-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Howdy, first post here.

Well not sure about the y cable but sounds like that would work. I am new to Home Audio just got a Dennon AVR to replace my 12 yr old Onkyo. I am more of a car audio freak, so saying that mixing different brand\model\size subs is never a good idea. You could get into big problems cancelation being one of the first thing to come to mind.

Just get 2 of the same subs and crank that mother. I have always had at least 2 subs in my rides it will make a big diff. Just make sure you have enough if not too much power on hand (minding the gains that is) in order to get the full detail, dynamics and overall perfomance out of them. The more power you have the lower you can set the gains avoiding clipping the amp yet having enough power to rock out with great SQ.

jocko_nc
12-29-2005, 05:09 AM
It depends what you are trying to accomplish and what subs you have.

I am using dual subs crossed over somewhat high, 85 Hz. I have them hooked up to L and R pre-outs, with the crossover on the sub amp. I get stereo bass, which is directional at the higher frequencies. My use is 95% music, and I chose subs that are very "musical". They sound great, the detail is fantastic. They don't sound like subs, rather like speakers with really deep, tight bass. For movies, I want a good powerful low end, not just a bunch of boom. Thus, I do not use the LFE which seems to work fine. Believe me, it will rumble. It is not obnoxious, though.

jocko