How many DVD's do you have in your collection? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How many DVD's do you have in your collection?

L.J.
12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
No I'm not gonna rob you....So how many ya got?

Not talking about copied either. Legal, paid for DVD's.

GMichael
12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Just bought my first DVR player last spring. I have only built up about 150 DVD's so far.
Now VHS? That's a whole different story. I have maybe 700 of those suckers that I will never ever watch again.

L.J.
12-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Just bought my first DVR player last spring. I have only built up about 150 DVD's so far.
Now VHS? That's a whole different story. I have maybe 700 of those suckers that I will never ever watch again.

"Only 150".....what's wrong with you people?

Wow, 700. Why not transfer em to DVD? I know it wont be the same, but you could always find use for em. Bedroom viewing perhaps.

GMichael
12-23-2005, 09:27 AM
"Only 150".....what's wrong with you people?.

What are you suggesting?

Wow, 700. Why not transfer em to DVD? I know it wont be the same, but you could always find use for em. Bedroom viewing perhaps.

My DVR playes VHS also. But why? I had the complete B-5 series on tape that I recorded from the Sci-Fi channel. After getting the DVR I couldn't stand watching them anymore. I have bought the first season on DVD so far. The rest will come later. Ditto for Louis & Clark.

L.J.
12-23-2005, 09:40 AM
What are you suggesting?

Nothing, just felt like screaming that..... :p

My DVR playes VHS also. But why? I had the complete B-5 series on tape that I recorded from the Sci-Fi channel. After getting the DVR I couldn't stand watching them anymore. I have bought the first season on DVD so far. The rest will come later. Ditto for Louis & Clark.

So most of your collection is recordings? I can't watch the stuff I recorded on VHS either. Luckily I only have about 30 tapes all together, and most of that is my kid's Disney stuff. My VCR isn't even connected.

I'm up to about 220 DVD's

GMichael
12-23-2005, 09:47 AM
220 huh? Cool. It will grow fast. I get one each week like clockwork.

I don't record DVD's like I did with VHS. I record onto the hard drive. Watch it, then record over it. I guess I like the store bought DVD's with all the extra behind the sceens stuff. The DVD's I record now are usually copies from my camcorder or my wife's kareoke nights.

L.J.
12-23-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm actually starting to get into veiwing the extra matl. I didn't care at first, but sometimes it's just as good as watching the movie.

Yeah, I'm hanging around BB every Tues. now.

caniac
12-23-2005, 06:54 PM

A friend of mine who is a huge film buff has something like 900. That's just scary.

recoveryone
12-24-2005, 10:55 AM
I stopped counting at 100 over 2 years ago, but I have become more selective over the years.

Woochifer
12-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm well over 400 (maybe even 500) right now, and I started collecting DVDs about 5 years ago (never got into collecting VHS movies because they wear out and most of them were not letterboxed). I recently started cataloging my collection on the DVD Aficionado site (REALLY cool site to use for keeping track of the titles!), and the number of titles that I've already cataloged is over 300.

One observation in going through my collection is how quickly the studios churn through different versions of DVDs. Probably close to half the DVDs in my collection are already out of print, yet a lot of them were subsequently replaced by "downgraded" versions that delete the bonus features in favor of lower prices or stick other trade-offs into the mix. For example, Rocky was recently re-released with remastered video and audio, yet MGM decided to eliminate all of the bonus features found on the previous version, so it's obviously a tradeoff.

One of the trickiest things about DVD collecting is figuring out which version to pull the trigger on. Very often, the latest version is not the greatest one, so I've sorted through store shelves in search of the older versions or bought used copies. Even now, there are a lot of favorite movies that I still don't own on DVD because I'm waiting on a more worthy version to come out (e.g. Blade Runner, The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2), City of Lost Children, Superman II).

Anyway, here the link to my collection catalog in progress. Might be interesting if others on the board use this site to catalog their collections and share with everyone. (The links might take a long time to load up because they contain images)

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?id=woochifer

L.J.
12-24-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm well over 400 (maybe even 500) right now, and I started collecting DVDs about 5 years ago (never got into collecting VHS movies because they wear out and most of them were not letterboxed). I recently started cataloging my collection on the DVD Aficionado site (REALLY cool site to use for keeping track of the titles!), and the number of titles that I've already cataloged is over 300.

One observation in going through my collection is how quickly the studios churn through different versions of DVDs. Probably close to half the DVDs in my collection are already out of print, yet a lot of them were subsequently replaced by "downgraded" versions that delete the bonus features in favor of lower prices or stick other trade-offs into the mix. For example, Rocky was recently re-released with remastered video and audio, yet MGM decided to eliminate all of the bonus features found on the previous version, so it's obviously a tradeoff.

One of the trickiest things about DVD collecting is figuring out which version to pull the trigger on. Very often, the latest version is not the greatest one, so I've sorted through store shelves in search of the older versions or bought used copies. Even now, there are a lot of favorite movies that I still don't own on DVD because I'm waiting on a more worthy version to come out (e.g. Blade Runner, The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2), City of Lost Children, Superman II).

Anyway, here the link to my collection catalog in progress. Might be interesting if others on the board use this site to catalog their collections and share with everyone. (The links might take a long time to load up because they contain images)

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?id=woochifer

Hey Woochifer,

I spotted a few titles in your collection that I need to put on my wishlist. Nice collection by the way. I'm using DVDSpot. Yeah it would be cool to view each others collections.

http://www.dvdspot.com/member=LJay

s dog
12-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Im right around a 130 or so , wish i had more time to watch them.

L.J.
12-24-2005, 09:33 PM
wish i had more time to watch them.

Sounds like we got the same problem :(. Soo many movies, too little time

GMichael
12-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Sounds like we got the same problem :(. Soo many movies, too little time

Know the feeling. Once the DVR showed up in my life I started recording TV shows on it's hard drive. First one show, then two, then more & more. When the weekend shows up I have more recorded than I have time to watch. Never knew so much good TV was on in the middle of the night. :rolleyes:

PAT.P
12-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Must have at least 400movies and music dvd .Hope I had more time to enjoy watching them.We have 5 DVD players in the home ,so there some all over.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Okay, I recognize that I have a big problem. I do not like to rent, as to me in the long run for my habits its expensive. I like to look at good movies over and over and over again. I got tired of renting, only to get home and the disc won't play. I got tired of paying for everytime I wanted to see the movie. So I buy everything I want to watch. Now I am having storage problems all over the place. I have about 1200 DVD in my closet in my apartment. I have another 400-500 in another closet at my house. Whenever I run out of space, I simply clean the closet and throw unwanted things away, or move them to another storage area. I have been told many times by friends that my DVD habit is totally out of control. I have to agree with them, but I just cannot help myself. I am DVD sick, and I need to get well!. This disease is a carryover from the LD days. Over 2000 disc before I sold the collection.

L.J.
01-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Okay, I recognize that I have a big problem. I do not like to rent, as to me in the long run for my habits its expensive. I like to look at good movies over and over and over again. I got tired of renting, only to get home and the disc won't play. I got tired of paying for everytime I wanted to see the movie. So I buy everything I want to watch. Now I am having storage problems all over the place. I have about 1200 DVD in my closet in my apartment. I have another 400-500 in another closet at my house. Whenever I run out of space, I simply clean the closet and throw unwanted things away, or move them to another storage area. I have been told many times by friends that my DVD habit is totally out of control. I have to agree with them, but I just cannot help myself. I am DVD sick, and I need to get well!. This disease is a carryover from the LD days. Over 2000 disc before I sold the collection.

Well, here's what I'll do. Only because I like ya. Why not let me relieve you of this burdon. It's such a heavy load you have to carry Mr. Frodo.....O.....I mean Sir T. Why not let me, carry the load for awhile? Let me hold onto your precious.

GMichael
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM

And when HD-DVD or Blu-ray takes off you'll have to replace many of them. Soon you'll be able to start your own Block-Buster buster.

L.J.
01-12-2006, 09:27 AM
And when HD-DVD or Blu-ray takes off you'll have to replace many of them. Soon you'll be able to start your own Block-Buster buster.

IF :eek:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I mean Sir T. Why not let me, carry the load for awhile? Let me hold onto your precious.

Okay, the last time somebody said this to me, I married her and had twins. I then told her to let go of my precious because it was diggin to deep into my grip.

L.J.
01-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Okay, the last time somebody said this to me, I married her and had twins. I then told her to let go of my precious because it was diggin to deep into my grip.

Man I shoulda saw that one a mile away(No, not your precious).

dean_martin
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm unleashing Kam's Stewie Griffin impression on you guys - he took a break from his plans for world domination long enough to come up with this little gem:

" so... how's that dvd collection coming along? huh? gotta big, uh, big stack of dvd's there? gotta, gotta nice lil dvd collection you're working on there? you're big dvd collection you've been working on for three years? Huh? gotta compelling price range? yeah?Yeah? Gotta some wifey appreciation factors to overcome? Huh? Gotta dvd collection brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little collection? Classics, cartoons, and some new releases? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? Yeah? Yeah?"

-Kam, 01/05/06.

Anyhow, it had me rotflmao, spewing beverages and food at my computer, etc.

L.J.
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm unleashing Kam's Stewie Griffin impression on you guys - he took a break from his plans for world domination long enough to come up with this little gem:

" so... how's that dvd collection coming along? huh? gotta big, uh, big stack of dvd's there? gotta, gotta nice lil dvd collection you're working on there? you're big dvd collection you've been working on for three years? Huh? gotta compelling price range? yeah?Yeah? Gotta some wifey appreciation factors to overcome? Huh? Gotta dvd collection brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little collection? Classics, cartoons, and some new releases? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? Yeah? Yeah?"

-Kam, 01/05/06.

Anyhow, it had me rotflmao, spewing beverages and food at my computer, etc.

Now that was funny

Kam
01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
giggity giggity.... giggity goo.
:D