Sound bar speaker options [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound bar speaker options

riderjm
12-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Updating old HT system. Rear speaker wires not option. Any thoughts on:
Polk Audio Sound Bar ( Will have to buy new A/V amp)
Yamaha YSP 800 (Is self powered)

Have Infinity 8" 50 watt sub now and thought would help on the Yamaha without purchasing new one. Would not require new a/v amp purchase.
Polk offering free 100 watt sub with purchase when not on sale for $800 locally.

Thanks for your input.

markw
12-22-2005, 02:03 PM
dunno about 800 but heard YSP 1 - fairly impressed but can't compare spatially to multi speaker system. ...no one box system can.

cymrx7r1
01-01-2006, 03:01 AM
undefined
dunno about 800 but heard YSP 1 - fairly impressed but can't compare spatially to multi speaker system. ...no one box system can.

I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT PUTTING ONE IN MY MASTER BEDROOM.OPPS The yamaha is much better than the polk the 800 it has about half the drivers THAN THE YSP-1000 but wow if you have a rectangle room its great! The ysp 1000 also has the microphone to help setup.It even has a set up incase you have to set it up in the corner of the room incase you have a tight floorplan or you just like your room setup that way .The ysp was the first I dont think it has the mic but the 800 and the 1000 do I OWN THE M&K MP4212 AN AWSOME 5.1 ALL IN 1 BOX SET UP THAT WILL TAKE THE WATTAGE AND IT IS GREAT BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PRETTY GOOD RECEIVER TO POWER IT.YOU CAN BI AMP IT TO ALL OF THE SPEAKERS THIS THING IS A BLAST I HAVE USED ONE AS MY REARS IN A 7.1 SET UP YOU HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT ON MKSOUND.COM - TALK TO BARRY OBER HE IS A GREAT GUY :cool: M&K PRODUCTS CARRY A 10 YEAR WARRANTY. :D
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS MY KEYBOARD HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN! :mad:

THE YAM800 IS THE BEST CHOICE IF YOUR ON A BUDGET AND THERE IS KNOW REASON TO GET THE 100 IF YOUR ROOM ISINT BIG.CHECK OUT WHAT AUDIOHAULICS THINK ABOUT IT.. EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO DICUSS THIS FURTHER .EBAY HAS THE 800 FOR 600 TO 650 AND THE 1000 FOR 1000 THE M&K COMES IN A PRO VERSION AND A REG VERSION.THEY PUT SOME UNREAL SPEAKERS IN THERE..I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS ONE FORSALE CONTACT ME APIEDLAU@AOL.COM BEFORE SOMEONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT GETTING 5 DIFFEFENT SPEAKERS YES YOU CAN DO IT AND FOR THE PRICE I WOULD GO NHT USED ON EBAY,BUT I THINK THAT HE IS LEANING TOWARDS THESE SYSTEMS.. PS I LOVE MY COMPUTER AND I CANT SPELL.. AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU GUYS! :) JUST MY 2 CENTS

cymrx7r1
01-01-2006, 03:10 AM
:o MY REPLY WAS MEANT FOR THE FIRST THERAD..SORRY.I DO AGREE WITH MARKW MY S-150THX SYSTEM IS HARD TO BEAT BUT WE HAVE TO GIVE SOME CREDIT TO THIS NEW STUFF.ITS JUST NOT FOR THE GUY WHO HAS SPEAKERS ONTOP OF SPEAKERS IN DIFFERENT ROOMS ..LOL

Woochifer
01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
If you want true 5.1 surround sound, then you need surround speakers. If you cannot accommodate them, then you should try the virtual surround functions provided by your receiver/processor first.

The one-box approach of the Yamaha should be used only if you don't want a separate receiver and want the entire home theater audio contained within a single component. In my brief listenings, the Yamaha sound projectors do a decent job of conveying the surround effect, but have very uneven tonal characteristics as you go into the lower frequencies. I'm not sure about how well they would handle two-channel music either.

If you go with a receiver, then you can always get three speakers for the front and use the virtual surround functions to simulate the surround effect. That will give you more flexibility with music sources, and still convey a simulated surround effect with 5.1 sources.

These sound bar approaches from Yamaha, Polk, M&K, Hsu, and others meet specific design needs, but don't limit yourself to those options right from the outset, since all of them significantly alter the signal to produce a surround effect.

But, the bottom line is that if you want surround sound, make the effort to accommodate the surround speakers if at all feasible. Speaker cables now come in flat ribbon designs that can hide very easily underneath rugs and snake along floorboards and moldings.

westcott
01-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Updating old HT system. Rear speaker wires not option. Any thoughts on:
Polk Audio Sound Bar ( Will have to buy new A/V amp)
Yamaha YSP 800 (Is self powered)

Have Infinity 8" 50 watt sub now and thought would help on the Yamaha without purchasing new one. Would not require new a/v amp purchase.
Polk offering free 100 watt sub with purchase when not on sale for $800 locally.

Thanks for your input.

I agree with Woch. You really need to consider getting separate speakers, at least for the front. You will get a much better sound stage and higher quality sound, all the way around. You will need a much better sub and a reciever with Dolby Digital. The sub will take the load off of the front speakers, allowing wall mount or bookshelf speakers to really shine. Bass is hard to reproduce and unless you have a good sub or large floorstanding speakers, you are not going to get it and it will only make the speakers you do buy struggle.

I would strongly suggest you take some time to visit some audio video boutique stores. Not Circuit City or Best Buy, but an upscale place. Once you hear how a movie is really meant to be heard, our suggestions will make a lot more sense.