Are floor standing or bookshelf speakers better for a stereo setup? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are floor standing or bookshelf speakers better for a stereo setup?

RLiu818
12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
I already have a nice subwoofer (20-39 PCi SVS) on the way.

Would bookshelf or floor standing speakers be better? Space issues and aesthetics is not a major issue. I just want the best performance. My receiver is stereo only, so a surround setup is not possible at this time, but there is always a possibility for upgrading the receiver to a surround sound setup.

markw
12-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I get pretty good imaging with my towers. Likewise, some say that bass is bloated in a tower. Again, I say that depends on the tower and it's placement in the room.

I prefer to have my main speakers deliver all the sound possible. By using a full range speaker, you have the option of having the sub come into play only in the lowest registers. You won't need it for the mid/upper bass like witt a standmount. Tht improves imaging overall.

I had my sub hooked up to my main (stereo) system and had the speakers running full range from the preamp output with another run going to the sub. I used the sub's low pass filter to have the sub cut in only below 50 hz and I found the sound stupendous. Others were quite impressed as well.

IOW, the sub is very rarely called into play in the stereo and that's the way (uh huh uh huh) I like it.

YMMV

calegrant
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
It really depends on your budget. For say 500 bucks you can get a fairly decent set of bookshelves. The same can't be said for floorstanders, 500 bucks doesn't get much quality.

Give us a budget and you'll get a better answer.

Dmax
12-22-2005, 05:10 PM
It really depends on your budget. For say 500 bucks you can get a fairly decent set of bookshelves. The same can't be said for floorstanders, 500 bucks doesn't get much quality.

Give us a budget and you'll get a better answer.I soooooooooo disagree with you, you have been around to many audiophiles.You can find superb floorstanding speakers (Brand New) for 500 bucks ,even a little less.You can also find really great bookself speakers for much less. I dont know what type of sound some people are seeking but if you cant find really great sound in this price range your expectations are unrealistic and you"ll never be totally satified with anything.Just my opinion ;)

PAT.P
12-22-2005, 08:42 PM
I soooooooooo disagree with you, you have been around to many audiophiles.You can find superb floorstanding speakers (Brand New) for 500 bucks ,even a little less.You can also find really great bookself speakers for much less. I dont know what type of sound some people are seeking but if you cant find really great sound in this price range your expectations are unrealistic and you"ll never be totally satified with anything.Just my opinion ;)What superb floorstanding speakers are you talking about?Dont get much for $500 for towers.

Dmax
12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
What superb floorstanding speakers are you talking about?Dont get much for $500 for towers.Im not going to hardly entertain you with a list of good speakers for 500 bucks because you have already put in your mind that there are none but I will keep my faith in profesional established speaker manufacturers such as Polk, Infinity,Klipsch , Boston ,Athena,and many many more that can be found for 500 bucks if you search for them and not you.Im not going broke to suit your standards whatever rediculous ones those are.Can you build a better speaker than Matthew Polk? If so you should be out making money with your speakers instead of trying to be a snob towards these speaker companies who can and do.

RLiu818
12-22-2005, 10:15 PM
i dont really have a budget.

if 1000 is what i need to get a great set of floor standing speakers, then thats what i will save up.

if 400 is what i need to get a great set of bookshelf speakers, then thats what i will save up.

its just a matter of time.

going back to my main question, will bookshelf or floorstanding speakers perform more optimally in a stereo setup with a nice subwoofer (21-39 PCi SVS)?

Dmax
12-22-2005, 10:42 PM

if 1000 is what i need to get a great set of floor standing speakers, then thats what i will save up.

if 400 is what i need to get a great set of bookshelf speakers, then thats what i will save up.

going back to my main question, will bookshelf or floorstanding speakers perform more optimally in a stereo setup with a nice subwoofer (21-39 PCi SVS)?Absolutely! And dont become a speaker snob, youll never be happy plus you may go broke in process if you do.

drseid
12-23-2005, 03:13 AM

going back to my main question, will bookshelf or floorstanding speakers perform more optimally in a stereo setup with a nice subwoofer (21-39 PCi SVS)?

While I do not consider myself a "speaker snob," I have not heard many good floorstanders for less than 2K/pr. new. One pair that I *did* like were the Opera Audio Consonance Eric-3s at $1,800/pr. new and $1150/pr. used on Audiogon. Those are the best idea I can come up with anywhere close to $1K.

Apart from the Eric-3s, I would go sub/sat in that price range, or I would look into speaker kits from Madisound.com and Zalytron.com.

---Dave

PAT.P
12-23-2005, 04:21 AM
Im not going to hardly entertain you with a list of good speakers for 500 bucks because you have already put in your mind that there are none but I will keep my faith in profesional established speaker manufacturers such as Polk, Infinity,Klipsch , Boston ,Athena,and many many more that can be found for 500 bucks if you search for them and not you.Im not going broke to suit your standards whatever rediculous ones those are.Can you build a better speaker than Matthew Polk? If so you should be out making money with your speakers instead of trying to be a snob towards these speaker companies who can and do.I've heard all of the speakers you mention or people I know have them .When they listen to my towers its like day and night.Its not what my ears wants to hear.I've learned and bought lots a speaker in the past .All the money I spent on them could of bought a great pair of speaker.I upgraded 4 time my center channel.The last one was a $700 CND and this one I should of bought the first.

kexodusc
12-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Bookshelf speakers aren't by themselves better in isolation. If you were to take a simple 2 way speaker with the same drivers, decent construction, and put one in a 10 L box and the other in a 30 L box, you'd have mostly the same sound quality, only added bass extension with the towers (at the expense of some power handling possibly).

I think you have to look at your budget and see what speakers you can by. Most people I know who make this statement tend to qualify it with a budget. Below $2000 my favorite speakers are all large standmount speakers, tower speakers are just too often overpriced for the sound. Even after considering the cost of stands. Most of my favorite speakers above $2000 are towers though.

Imaging and soundstaging can be helped a bit by smaller cabinets, though I can't say the differences between are that big, especially in product families like Paradigms Studio or PSB's Stratus lines.

My biggest beef with most manufacturers, both large companies and small regional shops, is that the cost often doubles or triples as you add one or two drivers and double the cabinet volume, even though the material, work and development costs just don't justify it. It's almost like they charge you per cubic inch or something. So quite often there's just a better value in stand mounts.

For a 2-channel stereo in medium to larger rooms, I would think most would prefer larger speakers, probably floorstanding. That's what I use in my 2-channel system. Home theater is a bit different.

Go with whatever floats your boat.

PAT.P
12-23-2005, 04:48 AM

going back to my main question, will bookshelf or floorstanding speakers perform more optimally in a stereo setup with a nice subwoofer (21-39 PCi SVS)?Audition some like Energy Viritas,Totem,Paradigm(high-end model)and the list goes on.Better save if you have time then to upgrade every year just my 2cent.If you have a sub you would be better off looking for a great pair of bookshelf (most time your sub takes everything below 80 hz).

Dmax
12-23-2005, 05:42 AM
I've heard all of the speakers you mention or people I know have them .When they listen to my towers its like day and night.Its not what my ears wants to hear.I've learned and bought lots a speaker in the past .All the money I spent on them could of bought a great pair of speaker.I upgraded 4 time my center channel.The last one was a $700 CND and this one I should of bought the first.I guess. :rolleyes:Another man wanting to go to the moon (for no logical reason) but to waste time and money because he can. Join us on earth,it can be wonderful if you make it . ;)

Lensman
12-23-2005, 07:43 AM
In my experience I find the previously stated price point of below $2,000 = better with bookshelves and above $2,000 = better with floorstanders to be pretty true as well. However, I don't doubt that Dmax's view is also correct.

The reason there are so many different types of speakers from so many different companies is that they all sound different. Everyone hears audio differently and has different prefences (hence terms like rolled-off, neutral, bright, etc.). Since you have no set price, you shouldn't arbitrarily set one first then try to find something that fits in it. Instead you should audition what's available and set your price based on what sounds best to you.

Pick a few CD tracks and listen to them until you think you know them like the back of your hand. Then take those same tracks to your local audio stores and listen to what's available. When you find the speaker that has the perfect sound, you'll know. If it's a $160 pair of floorstanders or an $1800 pair of bookshelves, so be it.

daviethek
12-23-2005, 07:54 AM
I guess. :rolleyes:Another man wanting to go to the moon (for no logical reason) but to waste time and money because he can. Join us on earth,it can be wonderful if you make it . ;)

Most of the people on this forum are passionate about music reproduction. If they are around 50 as I am, they have been through many purchases of name brand stereo gear as their budget allows. Sooner or later you just want more from your music. In Hi-fi this sometimes means spending some big bucks. So it is not a "waste of money" to advise people to spend wisely from the start, only recommendations from experience.

shokhead
12-23-2005, 08:37 AM
I soooooooooo disagree with you, you have been around to many audiophiles.You can find superb floorstanding speakers (Brand New) for 500 bucks ,even a little less.You can also find really great bookself speakers for much less. I dont know what type of sound some people are seeking but if you cant find really great sound in this price range your expectations are unrealistic and you"ll never be totally satified with anything.Just my opinion ;)

So do you think the best $500 floorstanders will be better/worst then the best $500 booksahelfs you can find?

Dmax
12-23-2005, 09:18 AM
In my experience I find the previously stated price point of below $2,000 = better with bookshelves and above $2,000 = better with floorstanders to be pretty true as well. However, I don't doubt that Dmax's view is also correct.

The reason there are so many different types of speakers from so many different companies is that they all sound different. Everyone hears audio differently and has different prefences (hence terms like rolled-off, neutral, bright, etc.). Since you have no set price, you shouldn't arbitrarily set one first then try to find something that fits in it. Instead you should audition what's available and set your price based on what sounds best to you.

Pick a few CD tracks and listen to them until you think you know them like the back of your hand. Then take those same tracks to your local audio stores and listen to what's available. When you find the speaker that has the perfect sound, you'll know. If it's a $160 pair of floorstanders or an $1800 pair of bookshelves, so be it.Very well said and im sorry if I offended anyone in this forum, I just wanted to voice my personal opinion. Opinions are like buttholes,everybodies got one . :)

wayner86
12-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Why use floorstanders for a minimal ammount of bass extension when your using a good sub like SVS? Unless you like the look of floorstanding speakers, i personally thought at one time that they presented some kind of authroity over standmounts because of their size, bigger looks badder. But in reality, through researching different speakers, i discovered that standmounts vs. standing aren't that different (im talking same speaker company & same series). For example, Paradigm studio 40's vs. studio 60's 16Hz difference in frequency response, also the floorstanding models sound a little different, if that means alot to you, pull the trigger on floorstanding. I would suggest looking at different speaker companies until you find a sound you like, then do a comparison between their floorstanding vs. their standmounts, and see what you like best, and what meets your needs. I also recommend going to a hifi shop instead of a mega store, places like future shop will baffle you with bull**** into buying exactly what THEY want to sell you, or they won't be any help at all.

Goodluck!

Wayne

Benihana
12-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Why use floorstanders for a minimal ammount of bass extension when your using a good sub like SVS? Unless you like the look of floorstanding speakers, i personally thought at one time that they presented some kind of authroity over standmounts because of their size, bigger looks badder. But in reality, through researching different speakers, i discovered that standmounts vs. standing aren't that different (im talking same speaker company & same series). For example, Paradigm studio 40's vs. studio 60's 16Hz difference in frequency response, also the floorstanding models sound a little different, if that means alot to you, pull the trigger on floorstanding. I would suggest looking at different speaker companies until you find a sound you like, then do a comparison between their floorstanding vs. their standmounts, and see what you like best, and what meets your needs. I also recommend going to a hifi shop instead of a mega store, places like future shop will baffle you with bull**** into buying exactly what THEY want to sell you, or they won't be any help at all.

Goodluck!

Wayne
I would advise getting floorstanding speakers and mating those with a subwoofer. Floorstanding speakers are easier to integrate with subs. Bookshelf systems are more suited for smaller rooms where they can get at least some bass energy.

It also depends on what speakers you are comparing. If you compare one bookshelf with a woofer and tweeter to the same speaker model in tower form with the same drivers, then the bookshelf will play cleaner because the woofer in the tower will be pushed harder in the bigger volume box. But if the tower has added extra drivers for the bass and left the mid and tweeter alone, then it should sound the same but with added bass. If you go for a tower system, get at least 3 way system; the mids and highs will be relieved of the bass duties and give you the standmount type sound and almost full range sound, or you can go even further and crossover those into a subwoofer and get a quasi 4 way system.

kexodusc
12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Floorstanding speakers are easier to integrate with subs. Bookshelf systems are more suited for smaller rooms where they can get at least some bass energy..

The faster natural acoustic roll-off of a standmount (again, assuming the same speaker line/family) would actually provide for easier integration with the subwoofer. Assuming you run these as "large" speakers off an a/v receiver.

If you set your speakers to small, thereby employing the receiver's crossover, the transition is smoothly done, and there is no real advantage to either.

PAT.P
12-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I guess. :rolleyes:Another man wanting to go to the moon (for no logical reason) but to waste time and money because he can. Join us on earth,it can be wonderful if you make it . ;)But to venture and find knowledge is a greater essence in life .Some like the Merry- Go- Round ,I would prefer the roller coaster because there more excitement.BTW Im 46 and Im still learning and want to learned.This is a great site to hear and listen . :D

royphil345
12-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I like floorstanders. I always seem to hear a slight lack of midbass in bookshelf / sub systems. In my opinion, the crossover frequency is too high for best results when a receiver is set for "small" main speakers, although you shouldn't have to use that setting with higher quality bookshelves. A big advantage of having larger mains and a lower crossover frequency is that the system will be capable of playing louder (higher power handling on the mains, subwoofer wattage applied to a narrower frequency range). Subs also seem to roll off the lowest frequencies a little less when the crossover is set lower for some reason.

shokhead
12-23-2005, 01:20 PM
But wont a good sub let those bookshelfs min bass open up?

Dmax
12-23-2005, 04:46 PM
But to venture and find knowledge is a greater essence in life .Some like the Merry- Go- Round ,I would prefer the roller coaster because there more excitement.BTW Im 46 and Im still learning and want to learned.This is a great site to hear and listen . :DJFK Jr. found flying his own planes to be more exciting and look at where he ended up :p . I like Merry-Go-Rounds and prefer to just fly letting Delta(The Pros) guide me :)

PAT.P
12-23-2005, 07:22 PM
JFK Jr. found flying his own planes to be more exciting and look at where he ended up :p . I like Merry-Go-Rounds and prefer to just fly letting Delta(The Pros) guide me :)This is one bad luck family your talking about.They drive in a car and get shot,go ski and hit trees.

Dmax
12-23-2005, 08:39 PM
This is one bad luck family your talking about.They drive in a car and get shot,go ski and hit trees.This is true,would you marry into that family if you were single and she was drop dead gorgeous?

Bernd
12-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Most of the people on this forum are passionate about music reproduction. If they are around 50 as I am, they have been through many purchases of name brand stereo gear as their budget allows. Sooner or later you just want more from your music. In Hi-fi this sometimes means spending some big bucks. So it is not a "waste of money" to advise people to spend wisely from the start, only recommendations from experience.

I agree even so I am "only" 44. If I knew then what I know now I would have stuck with the Budget system I had and would have auditioned and saved and then made the big purchase.As it happened I was fortunate enough to put the system together that I like over the last two years.
On the other hand,maybe the learning curve you climb through upgrading is part of the fun.
It can be a long and rocky road.
As to the original question I do agree that below $ 2000 you should look at good standmounts. The Proac's spring to mind. Above that the world is your oyster.
But speakers are something very personal and so room dependant.And a good two channel set up will always,in musical ability, wipe the floor with a suround set up.
So good luck with your search. I would go for Floorstanders every time.

Bernd

markw
12-24-2005, 05:59 AM
.. a nice pair of maggies and a good sub comes to mind...

'course the receiver would have to be stable at 4 ohms...

PAT.P
12-24-2005, 12:00 PM
This is true,would you marry into that family if you were single and she was drop dead gorgeous?This would be a tuff choice to make,but money might change the impact of my decision :D

Florian
12-25-2005, 03:36 AM

Become whatever you want, and that inlc. a snoob. If you own a system above the rrest and state that yours is better you will be called a snob and people will think that its all your fault for asuming that yours is better. Anyways, i think its a great attitude. Buy good equipment and not the good deal equipment!

Cheers

shokhead
12-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Only if you let everybody know you have so much better stuff and there's isnt up to par.

Florian
12-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Only if you let everybody know you have so much better stuff and there's isnt up to par.
Many owners like myself never go out and say how much better there stuff is they just reply to such comments as " My Paradigm Studio 40 sounds soo real" "Or thos ***** speakers are this and that"------ we just smile and respond which then usually causes the otherside to attack the only possible section which is the prize.

LOL, anyway. Bottom line, if you wanna be a so called snob like me and buy real equipment and seek the holy grail do so with all force. Dont buy into the deal of the month or some cheesy advertising or so called longtimers who make idiot statments like digital is way better then vinyl. :-)

pshuttle
12-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Well I have to say that my Epos M12.2 speakers (Retail $1000) have both better cleaner and more responsive bass than my old Tannoy R3 floorstanders (but they also are superior in the mids to highs too). I was suprised at that but it just goes to show that a high quality speaker can suprise you.

If you are pairing it up with a subwoofer then I would go for a decent set of bookshelves.

Why don't you just go to the stores and have a listen?

Pete

shokhead
12-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Many owners like myself never go out and say how much better there stuff is they just reply to such comments as " My Paradigm Studio 40 sounds soo real" "Or thos ***** speakers are this and that"------ we just smile and respond which then usually causes the otherside to attack the only possible section which is the prize.

LOL, anyway. Bottom line, if you wanna be a so called snob like me and buy real equipment and seek the holy grail do so with all force. Dont buy into the deal of the month or some cheesy advertising or so called longtimers who make idiot statments like digital is way better then vinyl. :-)

LMAO.Your right about the Vinyl. Oh how i miss the crack and hiss,it twas music to my ears.

spacedeckman
12-31-2005, 05:59 AM
LMAO.Your right about the Vinyl. Oh how i miss the crack and hiss,it twas music to my ears.

Funny. I played 3 records last night and didn't even have a "pop". And my vinyl rig has "taken out" some stupidly expensive digital...in my system. And the most "stupidly expensive digital" was the best digital I have ever heard...incredibly good.

But, back to the original point. For the added sounstage depth and width, and improved sound quality, I'll take a few pops and clicks.

Space

BTW, I'm a bookshelf speaker fanatic until the price gets uncomfortably high. Lower priced floorstanders tend to be tuned incorrectly, bloating the bass, and often have resonance issues that color the sound. I also consistently get better imaging from bookshelf speakers. There have been few exceptions on this point.

accastil
01-12-2006, 01:22 AM
hi, id go for a full range floorstander..the incorporation of the low level freqs are not as good when using a subwoofer as compared when it is being reproduced in majority by the mains...i am speaking most especially during stereo music listening. try auditioning a Mordaunt Short 502 THX. this one has excellent mid/highs and the internal active subwoofer would definitely satisfy your soul...you may view ratings as well coming from its owners.

shokhead
01-12-2006, 10:07 AM
hi, id go for a full range floorstander..the incorporation of the low level freqs are not as good when using a subwoofer as compared when it is being reproduced in majority by the mains...i am speaking most especially during stereo music listening. try auditioning a Mordaunt Short 502 THX. this one has excellent mid/highs and the internal active subwoofer would definitely satisfy your soul...you may view ratings as well coming from its owners.

Low level freqs are not as good when using a sub as mains? Better rethink that and do some listening with some better subs.

T BOMB25
01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I will 2nd the Epos M12.2,the best balanced speaker I've heard for under $4000.

audiomadness
01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
But wont a good sub let those bookshelfs min bass open up?

Again, it depends on the bookshelf speakers. If you get good quality bookshelves with a decent frequency response, I don't think you would need a sub at all, unless you listen to really bass heavy music. Personally, I prefer Bookshelves because I can tailor the height of speaker drivers to the height of my ears through solid stands and run 'em full range. It all really depends on you preferences.

audio_dude
01-18-2006, 06:14 AM
I just recently purchased a set of mission M35 speakers for $1000 cdn taxes incl. they sound supurb and the have a softdome tweeter!!! (girlish squeal) there are they have three woofers, but I was told one was like passive or just kinda there or something, but these can esily fill just my 20x13 foot room, or the whole house with sound! so, just a small recomendation from me

shokhead
01-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Again, it depends on the bookshelf speakers. If you get good quality bookshelves with a decent frequency response, I don't think you would need a sub at all, unless you listen to really bass heavy music. Personally, I prefer Bookshelves because I can tailor the height of speaker drivers to the height of my ears through solid stands and run 'em full range. It all really depends on you preferences.

Even floorstanders are set to small in the receiver setup and there not many floorstanders that dont need a sub so there's even less bookshelfs that dont need a sub. Speakers for clean highs and midrange and some bass and a sub to free up the speakers to do that. You want tweeters at ear level and my floorstanders are on small stands to do that. It does depend on your perference but why not get the most out of your speakers?

audiomadness
01-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Even floorstanders are set to small in the receiver setup and there not many floorstanders that dont need a sub so there's even less bookshelfs that dont need a sub. Speakers for clean highs and midrange and some bass and a sub to free up the speakers to do that. You want tweeters at ear level and my floorstanders are on small stands to do that. It does depend on your perference but why not get the most out of your speakers?

I assure you, I do get the most out of my Bookshelves by standmounting them with 40lb stands(filled with sand) with brass spikes coupled to brass isolator cups and my speaker decoupled from the stands with "Blu-Tac". What I am merely saying is that I don't need a sub for the kind of music I listen to( Jazz and vocals) because I personally don't like using a sub for critical music listening, but that's just me.

Bernd
01-20-2006, 04:28 AM
I assure you, I do get the most out of my Bookshelves by standmounting them with 40lb stands(filled with sand) with brass spikes coupled to brass isolator cups and my speaker decoupled from the stands with "Blu-Tac". What I am merely saying is that I don't need a sub for the kind of music I listen to( Jazz and vocals) because I personally don't like using a sub for critical music listening, but that's just me.

And me.Totaly agree with you here. A proper designed speaker, and care taken in placement, will give you all your musical wants. I found that when the speaker is lacking quality that subs are added.

Bernd

shokhead
01-20-2006, 06:30 AM
And me.Totaly agree with you here. A proper designed speaker, and care taken in placement, will give you all your musical wants. I found that when the speaker is lacking quality that subs are added.

Bernd

I agree. So with this proper setup,40 pound stands, perfect for the vocals and jazz and plays the cleanest bass that a bookshelf can play loud enough to be useful down to 35Hz. Thats a great setup. To bad anything under 35 is gone. Thats where a sub would help. Hey,you adjust so that sub doesnt kick in until needed. A great set of bookshelf will be my next speaklers, with a good sub because they will need it. It just makes those great speakers better.

audiomadness
01-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I agree. So with this proper setup,40 pound stands, perfect for the vocals and jazz and plays the cleanest bass that a bookshelf can play loud enough to be useful down to 35Hz. Thats a great setup. To bad anything under 35 is gone. Thats where a sub would help. Hey,you adjust so that sub doesnt kick in until needed. A great set of bookshelf will be my next speaklers, with a good sub because they will need it. It just makes those great speakers better.

Hey, I see we have differences in opinions here.... but that's what makes this hobbie so much fun, my friend!! :D

While I won't argue with you about a sub helping out past 35hz and into the subterranean levels, it's great for movies no doubt, but I don't really assign value to a region your ears cannot hear very well on a musical level. You can definitely feel it though since it's a lot of forced air. Again, for me it's critical music listening that I'm aiming at. I guess depending on my mood and I wanted to go past 35hz to get a good chest thumping, then I would definitely re-hook up my old beloved Cerwin Vegas that I've had for 10 years.