3 + 3 = 5.1? (Video / Audio cable interchangeability?) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3 + 3 = 5.1? (Video / Audio cable interchangeability?)

PDK
12-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Yesterday's discussion of DVDA/SACD rekindled my interest in exploring the format. However, I'm wondering if I've got things hooked up correctly... My DenonDVD2200 and AVR1905 have the analog 5.1 channel outputs/inputs. Rather than buy a specific 5.1 interconnect cable, I simply used two three-wire cables (a composite video [LR audio + Video] and a component video) cables to make the connection. I had these on hand and thought 3 plus 3 equals 5.1, right? However, I'm wondering if there is more to it. I suppose they are labeled Audio and Video cables for a reason. Are audio and video interconnect cables interchangeable? These interconnects aren't anything special- they are Monster Cable Home Series that I bought at Target for about $4 marked down from $20.

markw
12-22-2005, 08:07 AM
enjoy...

kexodusc
12-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Markw is right, in fact there's a small chance the video cable will be a bit better than the audio cables (though doubtful these days, there all pretty generic). Can use these for digital coax connection too.

caniac
12-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Nah, it's fine.

Seems like I caught the same deal on Monster Cables at Target you did..........got about 150 bucks worth of cables for like 30 dollars.