My dumb Harmony Remote question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My dumb Harmony Remote question

Digiti
12-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I just received a Harmony 659 Remote as an early Christmas gift. Set-up is a fairly long process but that has been successful with a little help from customer service to get an old Laserdisc player to respond. All this is well and good but how do you turn off the remote so that the LCD screen is off?? Thank you.

EdwardGein
12-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I have the Harmony 676 & in all likelyhood if your referring to the remote screen being entirely off well it isn't because then you'd have to turn the remote on & off all the time.

Your setup should not have taken long at all if you wrote down what you wanted to do. It's pretty easy & straightforward and any fine tuning can be done on the phone with customer service.

I'd totally recommend Harmony remotes to anyone & they're very easy to use & program etc. & customer service is excellent.

N. Abstentia
12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Yep, what he said. The LCD screen does not turn off which is common for remotes with LCD screens.

Jack in Wilmington
12-22-2005, 04:53 AM
I have the 659 also and it works great. The wife loves it, because she can just hit one button and everything turns on in the proper mode. The only thing that bugs me is that the "Watch a Movie" button turns on the VCR and not the DVD.

EdwardGein
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Because I seldom use the VCR, I didn't even bother to program this. If you don't use it that often, you might just be better taking it off the Harmony.

N. Abstentia
12-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I have the 659 also and it works great. The wife loves it, because she can just hit one button and everything turns on in the proper mode. The only thing that bugs me is that the "Watch a Movie" button turns on the VCR and not the DVD.

Why not change it? Just tell it to turn on the DVD and not the VCR.

Jack in Wilmington
12-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Why not change it? Just tell it to turn on the DVD and not the VCR.

I didn't know you could do that. I thought it was a pre-programed function. Like "Listen to Music" turns on the CD player, and sets the receiver to "CD Player". I'll have to read the booklet again. Thanks

N. Abstentia
12-22-2005, 06:23 PM
No, it can do anything you want. When you set up the activity it asks you what device you use for movies...tell it the DVD instead of the VCR.

Digiti
12-23-2005, 09:49 AM
I have the Harmony 676 & in all likelyhood if your referring to the remote screen being entirely off well it isn't because then you'd have to turn the remote on & off all the time.

Your setup should not have taken long at all if you wrote down what you wanted to do. It's pretty easy & straightforward and any fine tuning can be done on the phone with customer service.

I'd totally recommend Harmony remotes to anyone & they're very easy to use & program etc. & customer service is excellent.
Thanks for the reply. Logitech's customer service is indeed exceptional; they downloaded the codes for my old Pioneer CLD-S104 Laserdisc Player to my Harmony Remote through their website which work great.