Considering selling my Rega P3 and buying a Technics SL-1210 MKII.Any comments, help? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Considering selling my Rega P3 and buying a Technics SL-1210 MKII.Any comments, help?

Kaboom
12-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Given that the technics SL-1200 series seems to have stirred quite a revolution in the sub-1000 buck turntable arena over here, and that i am being offered one in MINT condition for a very, very attractive price, i was considering selling my Rega P3 and replacing it with the Technics.
what do you people think? is this an upgrade?
what am i gaining/losing?
cheers!

BRANDONH
12-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Given that the technics SL-1200 series seems to have stirred quite a revolution in the sub-1000 buck turntable arena over here, and that i am being offered one in MINT condition for a very, very attractive price, i was considering selling my Rega P3 and replacing it with the Technics.
cheers!
Hello Kaboom,
You will not have one regret if you go with the Technics in fact I believe you will love it.
I have a similar model and that replaced my Pro-Ject 1.2 and have never looked back.
Dead on balls speed accuracy, extremely quiet background and built like a tank!
See this thread:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14201
and you can find a multitude of accessories at KAB USA and he will answer any question you have a very good guy indeed!
http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm
here is some interesting reading here on the Technics: http://www.kabusa.com/1200agon.htm
http://www.kabusa.com/1200com1.htm.
I found that mine put the fun back into spinning vinyl!

ericl
12-22-2005, 09:13 AM
AR regular Slate1 was one of the guys raving about the technics, and now he's selling his!

KAB modified Technics (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1140209087)

He was really raving about it, now he's selling it after a couple months! Slate, if you're reading, what's the deal? You're crazy man!

BRANDONH
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
AR regular Slate1 was one of the guys raving about the technics, and now he's selling his!

KAB modified Technics (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1140209087)

He was really raving about it, now he's selling it after a couple months! Slate, if you're reading, what's the deal? You're crazy man!
No kidding whats up with that?
Read his comments:

I've obviously got a serious mental condition that will not allow me to keep a turntable more than 6 months. Perhaps I should use the proceeds from this sale to finance some therapy?
Well I still love mine!

MINT condition for a very, very attractive price
Hey Kaboom what is he asking for this mint condish T.T.?

Kaboom
12-22-2005, 02:36 PM
the one i'm being offered is a mint condit 2000 SL-1210 (just the same as the 1200, but in black) for 290€.
i'd love to have the KAB-enhanced one Slate1 is selling, but i'm in spain and shipping would be WAY expensive.
Basic question here is, will i be better off with the technics than with the Rega? also, the Rega is a REGAL pain in the a$$ to adjust.
Cheers!

BRANDONH
12-22-2005, 03:15 PM
the one i'm being offered is a mint condit 2000 SL-1210 (just the same as the 1200, but in black) for 290€.
i'd love to have the KAB-enhanced one Slate1 is selling, but i'm in spain and shipping would be WAY expensive.
Basic question here is, will i be better off with the technics than with the Rega? also, the Rega is a REGAL pain in the a$$ to adjust.
Cheers!
At 290 euros you cant go wrong.
Will you be better off? I do not want to throw stones at the Rega because they too are good tables but In My Opinion, yes the technics is better.
The technics has a three layer isolation. Very well built, easy to adjust, set and forget and it has adjustable leveling feet. And you can pass the technics down to your grand children.

Florian
12-23-2005, 06:51 AM
When your selling the Rega let me know! I am interested in it, depending on shipping and the condition. Id rather have that one then the Technics.

Flo

royphil345
12-23-2005, 08:40 AM
LOL about Slate!!! Seems like yesterday he was going on and on about that rig!!! I'd almost want to buy his table... Don't like the idea of a fluid-damped tonearm though. Wouldn't have gotten that option. Don't need the Frankenstein Ortofon either.

The Technics vs. Rega is a tough call. Give me Technics speed stability / isolation along with the Rega arm!!!

BRANDONH
12-23-2005, 08:44 AM
LOL about Slate!!! Seems like yesterday he was going on and on about that rig!!! I'd almost want to buy his table... Don't like the idea of a fluid-damped tonearm though. Wouldn't have gotten that option. Don't need the Frankenstein Ortofon either.

The Technics vs. Rega is a tough call. Give me Technics speed stability / isolation along with the Rega arm!!!
The fluid damper can be removed easily.

Bernd
12-24-2005, 03:11 AM

You can have that.A friend of mine has a Rega RB 600 on the Technics deck. Pretty nice. But if you value your records do not use that "Frankenstein Ortofon"LOL.
Maybe Slate1 works on comission for KAB? Just a thought.

Bernd

slate1
01-04-2006, 05:54 AM
You can have that.A friend of mine has a Rega RB 600 on the Technics deck. Pretty nice. But if you value your records do not use that "Frankenstein Ortofon"LOL.
Maybe Slate1 works on comission for KAB? Just a thought.

Bernd

Didn't end up selling it - I have TWO by the way. So, even if I had of sold it - I'd still have the other... I put the MKV up for sale because I prefer the MKII due to its finer anti-skate control and I had an opportunity to buy a higher end turntable I've been looking at for years so I figured what the hell... didn't work out though.

Should be getting a commission from KAB though... have to talk with Kevin about that!

A couple of comments about this thread - the KAB fluid damper is a MUST if you want to use this table for home use. It improves the control the tonearm has upon the cartridge so much it's not even funny.

The Ortofon - NOT a frankenstein cartridge. I can understand how someone could say that about the KAB/Stanton cartridge - it uses a Pickering stylus that was not intended to be used in the Stanton Groovemaster body... but, hey - it works and works damned well.

The Ortofon, on the other hand, is made to do exactly what KAB has done. In fact - Ortofon used to sell a "Concorde 30" which was exactly the same as the KAB/Ortofon PRO-S30. The OM-30 stylus is designed for use in the Concorde body - KAB is just the only one remaining that sells it that way.

royphil345
01-04-2006, 06:37 AM
shill...LOL

slate1
01-04-2006, 07:14 AM
shill...LOL

Huh???

Garrardman
01-04-2006, 07:29 AM
In my very 'umble opinion, the Technics is a very capable hi-fi turntable. I bought mine for DJ use but have been quite surprised at how well it performs from an audiophile perspective, even without the aid of KAB's considerable modifications.

The only thing i would do straightaway is to ditch the rubber mat if it comes with it and fit a felt mat - the platter doesn't need the rubber one for damping purposes and it really does deaden the sound.

I have also found that the arm is more than capable of extracting good results from cartridges up to the calibre of an Audio Technica AT-F3 moving coil, so don't be afraid to ditch the hideous Stanton 500 that it will probably be fitted with and spend out on something better!

royphil345
01-04-2006, 07:33 AM
shill
2 entries found for shill.
To select an entry, click on it.
shill[1,intransitive verb]shill[2,noun]

Main Entry: 2shill
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps short for shillaber, of unknown origin
1 : one who acts as a decoy (as for a pitchman or gambler); also : one who makes a sales pitch

slate1
01-04-2006, 08:00 AM
shill
2 entries found for shill.
To select an entry, click on it.
shill[1,intransitive verb]shill[2,noun]

Main Entry: 2shill
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps short for shillaber, of unknown origin
1 : one who acts as a decoy (as for a pitchman or gambler); also : one who makes a sales pitch

not an idiot - I know what a shill is - just didn't understand what your point was... I guess you're implying that I'm pitching for KAB...

I, quite frankly, could give a damn if anyone buys stuff from KAB or not (now if Kevin wants to discuss commissions....hmmmmm) - just relating my opinions on some of their products. In fact, I purchased my MK-II elsewhere...

Bernd
01-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Hey Slate1 happy new year to you.
Good to have you back. I was only having some fun about the sales comission-hope you don't mind.
How is it hanging your end?

Easy does it.

Bernd

royphil345
01-04-2006, 08:50 AM
In a previous thread, you said you had no previous experience with the Technics turntable...

"I just got tired of doing nothing but tinkering with it (a/b'ing cartridge aligments, speaker toe-in, etc. etc.) and not LISTENING to it. When I was listening, all I seemed to be doing was concentratating on the details - listening to the equipment instead of the music. I started thinking about how, when I had "mid-fi" gear all I did was sit and enjoy the music."

"The system in my sig. below is the result - all equipment I've owned and had experience with except for the Technics Turntable. I loaded all the "high-end" gear up on AudiogoN - took about 40% of the money and purchased all the new equipment below, socked a bit away to buy some records and gave the rest to charity. Best decision I've ever made - I've got to tell you - I've just got a big ol' smile from ear to ear everytime I slap on a record!"

And that your previous table was a Mitchell...

"This replaced a Michell table in a huge system down-sizing I've performed over the last month. I'm thrilled so far. The table with the KAB/Stanton Groovemaster II AE cart is blowing me away on my rock records - I've never heard them sound so powerful and good!"

You really want us to believe you bought two Technics tables in a month along with two cartridges and tried to sell everything off the same month? Why didn't you mention that you bought two, maybe post some comparisons between them?... Maybe because nobody in their right mind would have believed you?

I don't know what your deal is. Sure can't think of any other good reason for all this BS other than that you're a shill for KAB.

slate1
01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
You really want us to believe you bought two Technics tables in a month along with two cartridges and tried to sell everything off the same month? Why didn't you mention that you bought two, maybe post some comparisons between them?... Maybe because nobody in their right mind would have believed you?

I don't know what your deal is. Sure can't think of any other good reason for all this BS other than that you're a shill for KAB.

Believe what you want... since you're being such an ass - I guess I'll explain... geez though - seriously, you need to find another hobby other than monitoring my equipment purchasing. Whatever floats your boat though...

I had Michell table - glad to put you in contact with the buyer if you need for verification - which I sold and purchased the SL1210MK5 from KAB mentioned here. I liked it so much that a month or so later I purchased an SL1210MK2 from www.musiciansfriend.com (guess I'm a shill for them now too...) for use in my office system - also purchased the tonearm damper, hinges and mat from KAB for that.

I actually like the MK2 better - the antiskate goes from 0-3 instead of 0-6 and allows me to finer tune that setting. So - a friend of mine (again - glad to put you in contact if you feel you need to "check up" on me...) decides to sell his VPI Scout and offers it to me REALLY cheap if I want it. I figured, "what the hell" - posted the MK5 for sale but he changed his mind and I pulled the ad. By the way - not one single e-mail or offer from Audiogon on the table in the 5 or so days it was up...

That's it - there you go. Enjoy...

Oh, by the way - you missed several of my purchases too - I've bought no less than 7 cartridges or styli over the last two months: 2 KAB/Stanton Groovemasters; 1 KAB/Ortofon Pro-S30; 1 Ortofon OM-20 Stylus; Denon DL-110; Denon DL-160; and I've got a Goldring 1042 on the way. I've gotten to where I can mount a cartridge in about 15 minutes so it's fun for me to play around with them - not like the hell I was experiencing messing with all the high-end gear.

Haven't touched a single component otherwise - amp, speakers, etc. have all remained. Love my "mid-fi" setup.

Now that you're all caught up I hope you feel better... I'll forward you my dinner bill this evening so you can add it to your database.

slate1
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey Slate1 happy new year to you.
Good to have you back. I was only having some fun about the sales comission-hope you don't mind.
How is it hanging your end?

Easy does it.

Bernd

Things are good - work's hell as usual though...

A few notes on the Technics decks, etc - I ditched the Isonoe feet for the stock feet. The table sounded a bit more "open" with the stock feet and I find it not that much more subject to footfall, etc. I wouldn't recommend them - especially at the $200 they run from KAB. (oooops - there goes my commission....)

I ran the MK2 without the damper for a few days and it only made me realize how much better the arm works with it. It tracks better, images better - it's a must as far as I'm concerned.

Cartridges - this has been a bit of a problem with me... I've been going through them like candy. I went nuts over the Groovemaster at first but over the long haul I started to miss the high-end extension I was used to with prior carts. I had two and ended up selling one and haven't mounted the remaining one up in weeks. I may revisit it again sometime. I'm VERY impressed with the Denon high-output moving coils (DL-110 and DL-160) on the 1200 - but they require the arm damper to sound their best. The Ortofon is growing on me too. I broke the cantilever on the OM-30 so I got an OM-20 stylus and mounted it up. The highs aren't quite as bright with the 20 stylus and I'm really starting to like the music it makes too.

royphil345
01-04-2006, 01:38 PM
shill...LOL

"I liked it so much that a month or so later I purchased an (another)SL1210MK2"

"not like the hell I was experiencing messing with all the high-end gear"

Yeah... But you'd instantly trade it for a good deal on a VPI Scout...

It's not adding up... ass...

If you didn't have something to hide, you wouldn't be telling me so much... You'd just say it was none of my business... The "too much information" rule.

Perhaps you're just raving here about anything you will shortly have for sale on Audiogon?... We'll see.... Your stories don't add up.

slate1
01-04-2006, 02:18 PM
shill...LOL

"I liked it so much that a month or so later I purchased an (another)SL1210MK2"

"not like the hell I was experiencing messing with all the high-end gear"

Yeah... But you'd instantly trade it for a good deal on a VPI Scout...

It's not adding up... ass...

If you didn't have something to hide, you wouldn't be telling me so much... You'd just say it was none of my business... The "too much information" rule.

Perhaps you're just raving here about anything you will shortly have for sale on Audiogon?... We'll see.... Your stories don't add up.

.... seriously - seek help ....

my goodness - this is starting to feel like the AudiogoN forums.....

I like playing with turntables - why are you giving me such a hard time about it? My downsizing of equipment was top to bottom. The Technics decks restrict me to ONE alingment method. The ONLY thing I tinker with is changing cartridges now - trust me, that's a simplification by miles over my last system!

As for the Scout - you may be right on that one... it was an impulse thing that I decided to jump on (habits are hard to break...). I have no regrets about it not working out though. I could argue as to if the Scout really qualifies as "high-end" too.

You obviously have no idea how much gear most of the posters over on AudiogoN and AudioAsylum go through in a year - it's a constant merry-go-round in the high-end realm with EVERYTHING: cables, amps, etc. etc. - I'm done with all that. Cartridges are an easy non-frustrating thing for me, they sound how they sound and they're easy to switch out. It's the one area I'll probably continue to "tinker".

I'll take my whippin' for the momentary lapse when I considered the purchase of the VPI - but I'm back on the wagon! :)

By the way - I still own a Music Hall MMF-7 too... care to chew on that a while and sling some crap my way for it? All my other gear in my other systems has always been mid-fi. This is the first time in years that I've had no "high-end" gear in my main system though...

PS - Hope you like my new sig... I tried to include everyone I've purchased from in the last month...

royphil345
01-04-2006, 03:36 PM
By the way - I still own a Music Hall MMF-7 too... care to chew on that a while and sling some crap my way for it?

How much is it selling for on Audiogon? Is it in nice shape? Will it make all my wildest audio dreams come true?

How could you do business with a guy named Willy Thacker???!!!

I'm not buyin' it!!!!!!...LOL...LOL...LOL

slate1
01-04-2006, 03:56 PM
How much is it selling for on Audiogon? Is it in nice shape? Will it make all my wildest audio dreams come true?

How could you do business with a guy named Willy Thacker???!!!

I'm not buyin' it!!!!!!...LOL...LOL...LOL

Actually the MMF-7 keeps up quite well with the SL-1200's. Better at some things - worse at others. I can send you a picture if you like - proving I actually own one and all you understand...

You've never heard of WilliamThakker??? I thought every analog audiophile on the planet had purchased at least one stylus or cartridge from him:

http://stores.ebay.com/William-s-Stylus-Shop_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

how do you like your "crow" royphil345? boiled or steamed?

royphil345
01-04-2006, 04:11 PM
how do you like your "crow" royphil345? boiled or steamed?

Shouldn't offer me your crow... Isn't it up for sale on Audiogon?

I like 'em burned...

slate1
01-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't offer me your crow... Isn't it up for sale on Audiogon?

I like 'em burned...

ahhhhh - there's that rapier wit you're so famous for, royphil345!

... isn't it getting a bit boring for you typing the same thing over and over again?

for a good friend like you - I'll give you all the crow you want for free...

I'll let you have the last word - this has been quite fun and all, but I yield to your patently superior intuition and obvious clear view into my psyche and motives.

TTFN - and, as I said - the floor is yours for the final comment... I depart with overwhelming anticipation….

BRANDONH
01-07-2006, 08:44 AM
In my very 'umble opinion, the Technics is a very capable hi-fi turntable. I bought mine for DJ use but have been quite surprised at how well it performs from an audiophile perspective, even without the aid of KAB's considerable modifications.

The only thing i would do straightaway is to ditch the rubber mat if it comes with it and fit a felt mat - the platter doesn't need the rubber one for damping purposes and it really does deaden the sound.

I have also found that the arm is more than capable of extracting good results from cartridges up to the calibre of an Audio Technica AT-F3 moving coil, so don't be afraid to ditch the hideous Stanton 500 that it will probably be fitted with and spend out on something better!

I did away with my rubber mat too.
I experimented with several variations.
1: Technics rubber mat
2: Non-Felt phono mat by itself
3: Non-Felt with a felt mat on top then underneath
3: felt mat by itself (big improvement so far)
3: current configuration a felt mat underneath an Ultrasound felt slip mat (pic below)
best sound results of all the above

http://www.djdeals.com/images/equipment/mattechsilver.jpg

Bernd
01-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I did away with my rubber mat too.
I experimented with several variations.
1: Technics rubber mat
2: Non-Felt phono mat by itself
3: Non-Felt with a felt mat on top then underneath
3: felt mat by itself (big improvement so far)
3: current configuration a felt mat underneath an Ultrasound felt slip mat (pic below)
best sound results of all the above

http://www.djdeals.com/images/equipment/mattechsilver.jpg
Hello there,
Have you tried the anniversary Ringmat? It is a most amazing product.

Happy new year to you and your family

Bernd

JohnMichael
01-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Hello there,

Bernd

Bernd you are correct the Ringmats are incredible. I have owned one for several years and would never go back to felt.

Bernd
01-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Bernd you are correct the Ringmats are incredible. I have owned one for several years and would never go back to felt.
Hello John,

I am not alone then. When I got my SME 20/2A last year I tried it for a while without the Ringmat and clamped the records. Couldn't get the sound right at all and didn't see the wood for the trees i.e. the ringmat was safely stored away. Until a light apeared in my head. There it was. The sound returned. It is truly a great tweak. I consider it a must.

Bernd

BRANDONH
01-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Hello there,

Bernd
Hello Bernd,
Thank you, and happy new year to you and yours.
I have considered the anniversary edition ringmat but they are so expensive!
Is the price in your oppinion worth it?
Not that I cant afford it it just seems a bit pricy for a turntable mat.

BRANDONH
01-07-2006, 02:44 PM
ahhhhh - there's that rapier wit you're so famous for, royphil345!

... isn't it getting a bit boring for you typing the same thing over and over again?

for a good friend like you - I'll give you all the crow you want for free...

I'll let you have the last word - this has been quite fun and all, but I yield to your patently superior intuition and obvious clear view into my psyche and motives.

TTFN - and, as I said - the floor is yours for the final comment... I depart with overwhelming anticipation….
Hey slate,
I hope you had a nice Christmas and happy new year to you too.
Good to see you on the board.

BRANDONH
01-07-2006, 02:48 PM
cheers!
Well Kaboom have you made a decision?
Happy new year.

Bernd
01-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Hello Bernd,
Thank you, and happy new year to you and yours.
I have considered the anniversary edition ringmat but they are so expensive!
Is the price in your oppinion worth it?
Not that I cant afford it it just seems a bit pricy for a turntable mat.
Hello Brandon,

You're right the cost is high for a paper mat and cork rings. It is the time spent getting it right that is expensive. I have met the ringmat people several times at shows. All I can say about the mat that it will improve your TT sound without a doubt. You hardly ever see them second hand,that should tell you.

Let me know what you decide.

Bernd

Kaboom
01-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Well i was about to make one when i blew my 900€ on an Adcom GFA-5500 to drive my speakers since my 50WPC cambridge audio was stalling badly when trying to get Wagner to sound through my 84Db speakers...
So the turntable swap will have to wait. the more i think about it, the more i wanna ditch the rega and get the hassle-free, tank-like Technics.