New member, turntabel info needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New member, turntabel info needed

guitone
12-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Hello,

My turntables are dead....I have a few hundred albums that I am trying to put on my computer using imic, which works well..but I need to pick up a turntable. Being that I will probably be doing this once and not buying any more vinyl I want something that will work well, nothing really cheap, but don't want to spend more than I need to. I came across a Stanton T.50, the prices everywhere seem to be $100. Since I have an almost new high end cartridge I just want something decent to get these things on my hard drive where I will then burn cd's for my casual use.

Any info on this table or other inexpensive decent units would be appreciated.

Thank you

Joel Stern

GMichael
12-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Welcome to AR. You may get more answers over on the analog section. But here is a start. Try this link.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=120125#post120125

guitone
12-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Welcome to AR. You may get more answers over on the analog section. But here is a start. Try this link.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=120125#post120125

Thank you...I will post over there..I appreciate the help.

Joel

Mr Peabody
12-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm not familiar with that turntable but Stanton makes some decent cartridges and generally their other stuff has been a good value. The Stanton TT is probably geared more toward the DJ side of things than for audiophilia but I have no doubt it would be as good as the entry level stuff from Sony or other mass market brands. I'd recommend not skimping on the cartridge.

I wonder how a transfer to CD would sound going through a computer verses a good preamp and stand alone CD recorder... They actually have CD recorders with harddrives now and similar products called music servers.

You could start getting into a decent performing turntable from Music Hall or Pro Ject for around $300.00 with a decent cartridge included if you wanted to also enjoy your vinyl on your home system with the best sound quality. One of these through your home stereo will sound much better than your burned transfers to CD.

guitone
12-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Mr. Peabody,

I discovered MH today and it is making me nuts as I did not want to spend in the $300 range. It would be wonderful to find an MMF 1 or 2.1 used but I bet I won't have an easy time of it. I use an imic going into the computer and that does make it easy with good quality....I knew I should have not started this as now it will be a real project and i will buy more than I intended, like when I discovered Arcam.

Thank you

Joel

I'm not familiar with that turntable but Stanton makes some decent cartridges and generally their other stuff has been a good value. The Stanton TT is probably geared more toward the DJ side of things than for audiophilia but I have no doubt it would be as good as the entry level stuff from Sony or other mass market brands. I'd recommend not skimping on the cartridge.

I wonder how a transfer to CD would sound going through a computer verses a good preamp and stand alone CD recorder... They actually have CD recorders with harddrives now and similar products called music servers.

You could start getting into a decent performing turntable from Music Hall or Pro Ject for around $300.00 with a decent cartridge included if you wanted to also enjoy your vinyl on your home system with the best sound quality. One of these through your home stereo will sound much better than your burned transfers to CD.

Mr Peabody
12-22-2005, 08:15 PM
If you have Arcam, buy the Music Hall. I'd prefer them over ProJect.

www.spearitsound.com had some MF tables on the "used, demos and close outs" link. Also check www.audiogon.com

guitone
12-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Mr. Peabody, thanks again.

I actually live near a spearitsound..the price on their page for the MMF 2.1 is new, I can get that in the store. JR has them for 310 shipped so I could save tax, but it is nice to pick one up at a shop close by.

BTW, I did my grad work in St Louis at Wash U, a long time ago...great city.....I lived in U City at the time on Kingbury Lane (I think it was).

Joel

Mr Peabody
12-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi Joel, I guess sometimes it is a small world. I live in South County area. If you are in the area I'm sure Spearit will let you audition one of the tables. If you go into the Hampton store, please tell Jack Tozzi that Bryan sent you. Talking about spending, I just bought Conrad Johnson pre & power amp from him. I've emailed several stores who do internet sales but Spearit is one of the best as far as answering your questions and helping. They seem to be very knowledgeable about what they sell.

guitone
12-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Mr. P, I left St. Louis in the late '70's but I have the fondest memories of it...except the heat in summer ;)

guitone
12-23-2005, 08:46 AM
If you have Arcam, buy the Music Hall. I'd prefer them over ProJect.

www.spearitsound.com had some MF tables on the "used, demos and close outs" link. Also check www.audiogon.com

Why do you say you prefer the MH over the ProJect for arcam amp? Just curious as the ProJect is at another great price point for my intended usage.