Most annoying Christmas tune? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying Christmas tune?

newtrix1
12-21-2005, 02:09 PM
FA's thread from last week got me wondering about what the most annoying Christmas song might be. I gave it some thought and searched the web, and I'm submitting the 4 songs posted on the poll. Please vote on the most annoying Christmas Tune…

P.S.: write-in suggestions welcome, and my sincere apologies for putting these wretched tunes into your head.

1) Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Sringsteen & co.
2) Do They Know it's Christmas ("feed the world") - Bob Geldof et al
3) Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - ?
4) Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney

GMichael
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
I vote for number 1. Never liked Bruce much.
As far as an add-on, not sure if you could call this a song but, I could do without the dogs barking Gingle Bells.

Slosh
12-21-2005, 02:12 PM
all x-mas songs are most annoying

newtrix1
12-21-2005, 02:16 PM
I vote for number 1. Never liked Bruce much.
As far as an add-on, not sure if you could call this a song but, I could do without the dogs barking Gingle Bells.

I agree on Bruce. I do like him in general but when I hear "Santa Claus is coming to town" I can't get away from the song quickly enough.

Nice call on the barking dogs, that one should surely be on the list!

GMichael
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Nice call on the barking dogs, that one should surely be on the list!

Not sure if it qualifies as a "song." But it sure qualifies as annoying.

richmon
12-21-2005, 02:55 PM
The advertisment for Overstock.com where that smug women sings
O O O the big big O, overstock dot com ..
That one is really getting on my last nerve.

LeoFenderBender
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Little Drummer Boy!

Snowbunny
12-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Any tune played by those automatic light/music strings!

Troy
12-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Those all suck horribly, but my least favorite is "Jingle-cats" where the sampled cats meow the melody. Horrible. I hate xmas music.

I was at that very shot where Springsteen recorded that. Was right down front too. It ws a few days before xmas in 79 or 80 at Winterland. It was a load of fun at the time, but even I have heard it far too many times.

Musical lights:
the old folks across the street had a string about 5 years ago. they would forget and leave them on overnihgt and they used to keep me up all night. I would go across the street and unplug them in my underwaer at 3 AM until one time I was so frustated that I tore half the string of lights down. They were gone the next day and have never returned . . .

newtrix1
12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I was at that very shot where Springsteen recorded that. Was right down front too. It ws a few days before xmas in 79 or 80 at Winterland. It was a load of fun at the time, but even I have heard it far too many times..
That is a fairly cool claim-to-fame. I wonder how Bruce hisself feels about the song being so overplayed, probably the same way we do.

Musical lights:
the old folks across the street had a string about 5 years ago. they would forget and leave them on overnihgt and they used to keep me up all night. I would go across the street and unplug them in my underwaer at 3 AM until one time I was so frustated that I tore half the string of lights down. They were gone the next day and have never returned . . .
Nothing to do with Christmas, but your story reminded me about this rooster in our neighbors yard when I was growing up in Queens NY. It used to start crowing very early in the AM. Being heavy sleepers none of my family ever heard the thing, except my Dad who it used to drive absolutely INSANE. One morning he went outside at about 6AM armed with a broom intent on killing the thing. He cornered it across the street in a driveway took a mighty swing, missed the rooster and ended up on his ass. He came back home with his proverbial tail between his legs and a very sore butt. Valuable lesson learned.

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Little Drummer Boy!

I'm with you on this one. I have yet to hear a version of this song that doesn't make me want to go all Spinal Tap on the first drummer I see (and I'm married to one! :eek: ).

As for the poll, I have to go with Do They Know It's Christmas. For so many reasons....

3-LockBox
12-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I can prolly think of numorous Christmas songs that are far worse than these.

But I'll go with Sir Paul's just cuz he's annoying no matter what he does; singing, speaking, you name it. I imagine he'd score high on many 'most annoying song of all time' lists. Wait, come to think of it, he does (Ebony and Ivory / The Girl is Mine).

I really don't agree with Bruce's though, and I'm not a big Boss fan anyway. I'd rather listen to it than at least 20 or 30 others.

3-LockBox
12-21-2005, 07:40 PM
one time I was so frustated that I tore half the string of lights down. They were gone the next day and have never returned . . .

Tell us that story when you do that to an ex-wrestler or football player's house ;)

Dusty Chalk
12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Christmas tunes are, by their very nature, horrid. They stick! I hate when songs do that! :ralf:

Write-in vote for "Santa Baby" -- a current least-favourite.

Troy
12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Tell us that story when you do that to an ex-wrestler or football player's house ;)

I pays to know who your neighbors are . . .

kexodusc
12-22-2005, 04:54 AM
I vote for this rendition of Oh Holy Night by, well, I dunno and don't want to...get's really aweful towards the end.

http://www.deathrays.net/audio-jc/holynight.mp3

Mr MidFi
12-22-2005, 08:57 AM
I can't believe this one is actually open to discussion. It's a slam-dunk choice for me...#4. That one truly belongs in the "Worst Songs of ALL TIME" category, not just holiday jingles.

As for the Springsteen tune, it's not the song's fault that it's overplayed.

Has anyone seen that Miller Lite ad on TV with the Xmas lights synched to some prog-metal instrumental (Trans-Siberian Orch, I think)? It's actually pretty cool.

Snowbunny
12-22-2005, 09:48 AM
I can't believe this one is actually open to discussion. It's a slam-dunk choice for me...#4. That one truly belongs in the "Worst Songs of ALL TIME" category, not just holiday jingles.

As for the Springsteen tune, it's not the song's fault that it's overplayed.

Has anyone seen that Miller Lite ad on TV with the Xmas lights synched to some prog-metal instrumental (Trans-Siberian Orch, I think)? It's actually pretty cool.

Its very cool! Check out Finch's post - Best Christmas Lights ever which has a link to the whole song and light show!

Also, have you seen the Bud Light horses having a snowball fight? Commercial of the year cause the wise old horses come out ahead!

Snowie

Troy
12-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Here's where I post my favorite xmas song:

http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html

Slosh
12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Here's where I post my favorite xmas song:

http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.htmlI told you that you bloody cheat! :rolleyes: