DVD Player/Satellite Receiver Hook-up Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player/Satellite Receiver Hook-up Question

Sin City Dave
12-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm a newbie to all of this, so forgive my ignorance if the answer to my question is totally obvious. I'm making the jump to Home Theater. I have a nice HDTV (new Sony 50' LCoS) and a nice new Universal Disc Changer (Yamaha DVD-C950) with an HDMI output. I am in the process of choosing speakers and a receiver.

My question boils down to whether or not I need HDMI switching in my receiver choice. There are a lot of opinions regarding "switching outside the box;" foregoing connection to the receiver and connecting it directly to the TV. Is this as simple as it sounds? What connections are made so that the audio syncs-up with the video when you do engage the receiver for audio? Are there advantages/disadvantages to this set-up?

One last thing: When and if you respond, I'd appreciate advice in plain language. I have a general knowledge of things, but I am not a "techie" per se, and I am a long way from an engineer (I haven't taken a true math course since I was a Junior in High School).

Thanks,

Dave

westcott
12-21-2005, 11:16 AM
My question boils down to whether or not I need HDMI switching in my receiver choice. There are a lot of opinions regarding "switching outside the box;" foregoing connection to the receiver and connecting it directly to the TV. Is this as simple as it sounds? What connections are made so that the audio syncs-up with the video when you do engage the receiver for audio? Are there advantages/disadvantages to this set-up?

Thanks,

Dave

Seasons Greeting Dave,

I would have to know what your budget is to really tell you whether or not a receiver with HDMI switching is of benefit. If you budget is around US$900 to US$1000, it may be very cost effective to get a receiver with HDMI switching included. A separate switch could easily cost close to US$300 alone!

If you are on a limited budget, a receiver without HDMI will still be very useful but you would have to run any component that was HDMI directly to the display. If you only have one device that is HDMI, that is great. If you have more than one component, or plan to have more in the future that support HDMI, a display with multiple HDMI inputs will be necessary.

So, if you can fill in the details about your budget and the connections you have or anticipate, I can try to provide the best solution based on your future plans and budget.

Happy Holidays!

Sin City Dave
12-21-2005, 01:06 PM
The budget is a complicated issue. I can afford a receiver with the HDMI switching/upconversion (Denon 3806 or 4306, Yamaha RXV- 2600 are main contenders). My thought is that if I can conveniently and effectively run the DVD and Satellite directly to my display, I could get a less expensive pre/pro without switching and a seperate amplifier without breaking the bank.

I'm sorry about the "box" reference. I think it made matters confusing. I'm not so much looking for advice on switchers as much as I am advice on the pros and cons of connecting my DVD and Satellite directly to my display.

My TV has two HDMI inputs, and I have two components with HDMI output: DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD changer and my satellite receiver. I don't anticipate adding anything else in the foreseeable future.

Is connecting these components directly to the display as easy as connecting the HDMI, connecting the audio from the DVD or satellite to the receiver and then powering up the receiver when you want the benefit of the speakers and surround sound (e.g.: I don't think my daughter needs to watch Dora the Explorer at 150 wpc in surround sound)?

Thanks,

Dave

robert393
12-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't anticipate adding anything else in the foreseeable future.

Ahhhh.....reminds me of my day's of innocense, before I became corrupted.....lol!!

Is connecting these components directly to the display as easy as connecting the HDMI, connecting the audio from the DVD or satellite to the receiver and then powering up the receiver when you want the benefit of the speakers and surround sound
Dave, their is nothing wrong (or complicated) about connecting your video sources directly to your video display, providing your display has enough inputs. Then have your audio run though your audio receiver. They will "sinc" when each unit is turned on.

I have video switching capabilities with my Denon AVR 5800, but after extensive A/B blind testing, my experience has been that video switching introduces "video noise" and softens the picture, thus reducing overall picture quality (PQ). Therefore, I choose to run each video source "direct" to video display.

Robert

westcott
12-21-2005, 09:49 PM
The budget is a complicated issue. I can afford a receiver with the HDMI switching/upconversion (Denon 3806 or 4306, Yamaha RXV- 2600 are main contenders). My thought is that if I can conveniently and effectively run the DVD and Satellite directly to my display, I could get a less expensive pre/pro without switching and a seperate amplifier without breaking the bank.

I'm sorry about the "box" reference. I think it made matters confusing. I'm not so much looking for advice on switchers as much as I am advice on the pros and cons of connecting my DVD and Satellite directly to my display.

My TV has two HDMI inputs, and I have two components with HDMI output: DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD changer and my satellite receiver. I don't anticipate adding anything else in the foreseeable future.

Is connecting these components directly to the display as easy as connecting the HDMI, connecting the audio from the DVD or satellite to the receiver and then powering up the receiver when you want the benefit of the speakers and surround sound (e.g.: I don't think my daughter needs to watch Dora the Explorer at 150 wpc in surround sound)?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

If I were saving dimes, I could save money on cables, possibly reduce video noise inducement, already have two HDMI inputs on my display, then I would run the two components directly to the display and buy a 3805 or comparable. I did and have seriously reconsidered whether or not I am going to purchase a separate Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Five-Channel Power Amplifier. The Denon is that clean and will still provides 105 watts while five channels are driven. Since I reach 120dB with 65 or so watts using Klipsch speakers, I would be hard pressed to sqeeze out more clarity at every day listening levels using a dedicated amp, especially a class D.

I still have some listening comparisons to do before I make a final decision, but I may have to spend a LOT more to get a significant increase in sound quality (A,B).

My budget was shot on light control so it will have to wait until after the new year.

Happy Holidays!

P.S. What speakers do you have and have they been upgraded?

Sin City Dave
12-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the advice. That's exactly the Kind of information I was looking for. As far as speakers are concerned, I'm looking at 3 different set-ups: Onix Reference Ones (great deal on AV 123), paradigm Studio 2Os'or Axiom 22s (all of their matching centers). for surrounds, I'm equally undecided. I'm looking at Axiom QS8s, Totem Lykis, Mirage and Infinity. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Dave

GMichael
12-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. That's exactly the Kind of information I was looking for. As far as speakers are concerned, I'm looking at 3 different set-ups: Onix Reference Ones (great deal on AV 123), paradigm Studio 2Os'or Axiom 22s (all of their matching centers). for surrounds, I'm equally undecided. I'm looking at Axiom QS8s, Totem Lykis, Mirage and Infinity. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Dave

IMO all are very good. I have Infinity's and love them. Heard some Totems and was very impressed.
Try to hear as many of them as you can and decide what you like best. Bring a favorite CD with you to compare sounds.