Orchestral Pop Songs That Swoon Like Silent Movie Damsels in Distress [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Orchestral Pop Songs That Swoon Like Silent Movie Damsels in Distress

Audio Girl
12-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Or so Pitchfork.com describes the latest effort by Jens Lekman, who I believe, is from the country north of us called Canada. Pretty interesting stuff. Evidently this guy hasn't had a REAL love relationship in 4 years and this is evident in the songwriting on this LP.

Don't buy this on LP if you are looking for a solid recording because, quite frankly, it stinks. If you have the CD and can report a better experience, please post here.

Interesting, laid back, "chill" music for those who don't mind a few mindless lyrics. ;-) If there is anything outstanding about this recording, I'll report back. I had read quite a bit about it...all positive (i.e., 8.5 on Pitchfork not that this necessarily means anything)...and purchased to have a listen for myself. Currently working through it. Just hope I can get past how poorly the LP was recorded!

3-LockBox
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Or so Pitchfork.com describes the latest effort by Jens Lekman, who I believe, is from the country north of us called Canada. Pretty interesting stuff. Evidently this guy hasn't had a REAL love relationship in 4 years and this is evident in the songwriting on this LP.

Don't buy this on LP if you are looking for a solid recording because, quite frankly, it stinks. If you have the CD and can report a better experience, please post here.

Interesting, laid back, "chill" music for those who don't mind a few mindless lyrics. ;-) If there is anything outstanding about this recording, I'll report back. I had read quite a bit about it...all positive (i.e., 8.5 on Pitchfork not that this necessarily means anything)...and purchased to have a listen for myself. Currently working through it. Just hope I can get past how poorly the LP was recorded!

Thanks for the heads-up, Mary. Kinda sounds like the last two Death Cab For Cutie albums; lots of swooning and a tad bit of moping as well...for 50 minutes.

Myself, I still go back to Smashing Pumkins:Mellencollie And The Infinite Sadness for 'pop songs that swoon like silent movie damsels in distress'. Of course, there is still a lot of rage, which, in spite of, they're still just rats in a cage. At least this mix of wistfull, romanticism contrasted against edgy, dark angst-bitten alternative rock keeps the interest peaked and makes for a dynamic listen, which is more than I can say for DCFC.