Manfred Mann- ho hum or great? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Manfred Mann- ho hum or great?

Dave_G
11-17-2003, 10:25 AM
I just listened to "The Roaring Silence" but didn't play the blinded by the light toon.

For the most part, to me, this is a pretty foo-foo album.

Do you like it?

Dave

DarrenH
11-17-2003, 11:57 AM
I just listened to "The Roaring Silence" but didn't play the blinded by the light toon.

Do you like it?

Dave

I've never listened to The Roaring Silence. Does your version included the tune "Spirit In The Night"? I think it was included on the remaster or something. That's a great tune, at least it is to me. I have a greatest hits CD that includes those two songs (Spirit and Blinded), "The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)" and "For You", which was somewhat of a hit in 1980 and is actually pretty decent. Other than those four songs, I'm not much of a fan.

Btw, that Gene Loves Jezebel disc you sent me rawks. I love that disc. Great songs. Thanks.

Darren

Dave_G
11-17-2003, 12:28 PM
I figured you had never heard any of their toons.

They cut 3 albums that were very good and then they went to the schtinker.

Regards,

Dave

YECH
11-17-2003, 12:55 PM

Do you like it?

Dave

Ya think so???
Whenever Dave posts something/anything Darren hurriedly posts his return message.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh love in bloom.
This leads us to one question.
Who pitches and who catches????
YECh

DarrenH
11-17-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't know what you just said Bryan but it can't be good.

You are, and forever will be, in my ignore list.

Life is beautiful especially since I don't have to read your garbage anymore.

Darren

BarryL
11-17-2003, 01:12 PM
I though MM and the Earth Band did some good albums. If you're into psychedelia, try Solar Fire. I also thought Nightengales and Bombers was pretty good. As for The Roaring Silence, I really liked that one. Waiter, There's A Yawn In My Ear is a great jazzy instrumental. But most of it is overly melodious on the pop music side, but clearly of the progressive genre. If you have the remaster and want to get rid of it, perhaps we could arrange a trade.

Dave_G
11-17-2003, 01:18 PM
No, it is not a remaster and I borrowed it from a friend.

It's music to wake up on Sunday morning with a fresh cup of coffee kind of music to me.

Not bad, just kind of foo-foo, which, has it's merits sometimes.

But I'm always game to hear new stuff, although this thing is real old.

Dave

BarryL
11-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Poo poo, foo foo. Yes, it's on the lite side. Perfect for Sunday morning. Even kind-of spiritual, what with Blinded By The Light and new agish with Singing The Dolphins Through. This isn't Rock'n'Roll by any stretch of the imagination.

Try Solar Fire for something slightly darker and spacier. Still, capturing a melody was Manfred Mann's thing, so you're not going to find too much angular metal stuff with Mann. He should definitely be filed under easy listening prog.

Troy
11-17-2003, 02:43 PM
I always had a soft spot for "Angel Station" and "Watch".

Synth-heavy pop-prog.

Dusty Chalk
11-17-2003, 06:31 PM
I love Manfred Mann's Earth Band. The Roaring Silence is one of my favourite albums by them, too, after Nightingales and Bombers.

"Blinded by the Light" is a great way to kick off the album -- too bad that song has been played to death.

"Singing the Dolphin Through" is a bit mellow for a second song, shoulda gone later on in the album, but like someone said, it's almost spiritual. Kinda nice if you're in a mellow mood.

"Waiter, There's a Yawn in My Ear" is some of the greatest jamming I have ever heard. I love the things that he does with the synth, it gives it such a distinctive personality.

"The Road To Babylon" is a great "deep cut", probably my favourite on the album.

After the choir-ific intro, "Starbird" kicks into some serious jamming as well.

"Questions" and "This Side of Paradise" get a little forgettable, but the album up to that point is so good, it's forgiveable.

I second the Nightingales & Bombers rec., that one's only got 2 or 3 mediocre tracks on it, and they're harder to listen to not so much because they're "lite", but because they're jazzy (read: jammy), which might be a good thing, depending on the listener. The guitarist on that album left after that one, because he wanted to do even more jazzy stuff.

Funny you should mention this now, I posted this (http://www.classicrockforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=287965#post287965) only a couple days ago.

My only question is, do you alphabetize him under "Manfred" or "Mann"? Never did figure that one out. Fortunately, I don't have anything by anything else that would fit in between (I don't think), so it hasn't been a problem yet.